Design Question

ForceflowX

I'm playing around with the idea of a guy who's arm is infected with a demonic presence, and despite the powers it gives him, he has to keep it bound up in special wrappings most of the time because of certain drawbacks the arm has. One of the drawbacks is a Damage Shield on the arm that affects anything touching the arm (Except him, of course, that would not be good.) I know It's going to be always on and so forth, but then how do I simulate it being able to be contained by the special wrappings?

Re: Design Question

Buy it Always On as a Limitation, and then buy a partially limited buy off on the point difference.

EDIT: Removed erroneous construct; see later post for corrected version

Alternately you could just say its on unless covered and call it a day without using AO at all.

You could also just per a "requires skin contact" Limitation on it. Then if it's covered, it won't have any effect.

Any covering you'd have for it would have to be fragile or easily removable, in nearly any situation, though. Otherwise you should put this and Always On on, as AO wouldn't be much of a Limitation then.

I'm playing around with the idea of a guy who's arm is infected with a demonic presence' date=' and despite the powers it gives him, he has to keep it bound up in special wrappings most of the time because of certain drawbacks the arm has. One of the drawbacks is a Damage Shield on the arm that affects anything touching the arm (Except him, of course, that would not be good.) I know It's going to be always on and so forth, but then how do I simulate it being able to be contained by the special wrappings?[/quote']

If the wrappings are truly special, then I would have the arms powers as Always On and have the special wrappings as a Suppress vs the Demonic Presence (Set Effect, Uncontrolled, Independant).

Just My Humble Opinion (8^D)

- Christopher Mullins

The question is why doesn't the damage shield destroy the wrapping?

One way is to make it NND, does body, then define the wrapping as being made of the defense. Since the source of the damage shield is demonic, blessed objects seem like an approperate defense. So the wrapping would be made out of a blessed shroud, a garment that belonged to a saint, or some simular object.

The question is why doesn't the damage shield destroy the wrapping?

One way is to make it NND, does body, then define the wrapping as being made of the defense. Since the source of the damage shield is demonic, blessed objects seem like an approperate defense. So the wrapping would be made out of a blessed shroud, a garment that belonged to a saint, or some simular object.

Or, if not NND, a Limitation (Not Through Silk, or Not Through Enchanted Cloth, or simething similar). Granted, this Limitation probably wouldn't be worth much, if anything.

Another way to do it would be to buy Variable Limitations, and define some hazards this Power would have while bound, simulated by a Side Effect that can be traded for AO once in a while.

Had time to find the example I wanted.

Page 18 of Champions, Sidebar, Uncontrollable Eyebeams.

Good news is that unlike a Naked Modifier, it looks like the partially limited buyoff doesnt cost END.

Thus, revising my previous example:

If the Always On saves you 15 points, you buy "Turn Off Dmg Shield" Base Power = 15 pts, OIF (wrappings of opportunity; -1/2); Real Cost: 10

You save 5 points out of the deal.

Guest bblackmoor

Page 18 of Champions' date=' Sidebar, Uncontrollable Eyebeams.[/quote']

Aha! I knew I had seen something like that before. Good catch. :)

Yeah, I just remembered that one of the PCs from my Millennial Men campaign has an ability like this. He has a Phys Lim: One Eye, which imposes certain penalties on Ranged Combat, and his Cybernetic Eye buys it off.

2 Questions about this character, and please don't take this as a flame... I'm still learning the system.

1) The Phys Lim: One eye and the Cyber Eye - Isn't this generally frowned upon?? Seems like buying Phy Lim: Missing Limbs and the power Extra Limbs to me.

2) The Focus Limitation on the Cyber Eye - IIRC, even an OIF can be taken away from a character with a specific effort. It shouldn't be a focus if it's surgically implanted.

2 Questions about this character, and please don't take this as a flame... I'm still learning the system.

1) The Phys Lim: One eye and the Cyber Eye - Isn't this generally frowned upon?? Seems like buying Phy Lim: Missing Limbs and the power Extra Limbs to me.

The difference is the points gained from the Lim are directly being bought off. He got 10 pts from the Disad, and then paid 10 points modified by OIF to compensate for it. It's a partially limited Buy Off.

2) The Focus Limitation on the Cyber Eye - IIRC, even an OIF can be taken away from a character with a specific effort. It shouldn't be a focus if it's surgically implanted.

Because in this case the eye isnt surgically impanted. It can be taken out. A receptor for it is surgically implanted, but the eyeball portion can be popped right out.

The original build of the character had a VPP Gadget Pool for PRIMUS equipment, and could theoretically have different versions of cybereyes, like a camera eye, a laser eye, and so forth among other types of super-spy style gadgets. Some other favorites were the Energy Chute, a rapel gun, amd the Omni-Belt.

When Silver Avenger John Wrath got fired/retired from PRIMUS and became the "Solo Avenger" he lost all of his PRIMUS perks, including the Gadget VPP, the Flying Car, his Liscence to Kill, and a few other perks, and the character was restructured abit.

Part of the restructuring was buying a version of the Cybereye and his gun outright. With more points the character could have a Multipower of Cybereyes (only changeable in Lab), assuming he could find a rationale for where he's getting them from.

By the way if you're trying to come up with ideas for what the wrappings are, in the occult silk blocks magical energy.

You could require him to wear something made of hand spun silk from a certain part of the world, maybe even with oddball conditions in the spinning - like from blind widows or something.