X-Men fans, need Phoenix clone!!!

tenscales

Had an idea to play a character similar to the Phoenix.

Not same but similar, let me explain: Create a Jean Grey-type mentalist character and have a Dark Phoenix multiform.

Premise is the mentalist can change into a super-being whenever she loses control (only when she loses control since she fears her dark side and tries to keep her emotions in check during stressful situations)

I am looking at a 350-pt character with maybe 70+ points going to her Phoenix persona. My GM is looking to play with this Phoenix idea in his storyline, eventually the group will be needing to end the threat. The multifrom ability will be on the back burner until she accumulated around some 1000 points.

My XP will be distributed each session on 3-2 basis, every 5 pts awarded will be divided as 3 pts to Jean Grey and 2 points to Phoenix (translate to 10 pts top the multiform)

Any one willing to show me their builds on this curious request?

(I have seen many Jean Grey and Rachel Summer/Phoenix builds but felt they didnt catch the right feeling. Ever notice theres no Jean Grey/Phoenix build?)

Re: X-Men fans, need Phoenix clone!!!

OK, so, in essence you want a superpowered Id that jumps out of your skull after some GM-determined level of stress occurs, right? Well, the way I see it, you want to model how Multiple Personality Disorder is supposed to function. Basically, once the mental stress hits a certain threshold the person's mind fragments and creates a new persona to take the heat off the main persona. Normally this is due to rather unpleasant traumas occuring during childhood like the Hulk personalities that Bruce Banner developed in response to his abusive father tormenting him and killing Bruce's mom in front of him. Trauma goes in box, box fills up, trauma-based personality is now at the wheel and ready to roll.

Mechanics-wise, I'd say you have a few other powers besides Multiform that you may want to include to help gauge when your internal pressure red-lines.

Absorption, 1d6, vs Mental effects, fade rate 5 pts/year, increased max pts 40 total, loses 5 pts/therapeutic mental event, only vs attacks that breech defenses, power total feeds into Multiform and at max can add 200 pts to the Multiform. This all represents the mental wear and tear that psi-combat can build up in a telepath's mind ala Mastermind's repeated psi-seductions of Jean Grey for the Hellfire Club

Aid, 1d6, to Multiform total, fade rate 5 pts/year, loses 5 pts/therapeutic mental event, max points increased to 40, No Conscious Control, Only when Ego Rolls are made for Psych Lims. This is to show how the stress of internal moral conflict can build up in a telepath's mind. Y'know, having to mind-control an innocent to forget things or feeling people die

OK, I admit it, these are pretty cheesy power concepts but I figure this could help you and your GM judge when the time would be good to hatch out the Phoenix, and this could also allow you to on occasion be turned into a lesser-powered Multiform should that plot point somehow come in handy as well. Note that there is a secondary pressure valve on these powers allowing you to bleed down your Multiform total should your character attempt to actually deal with this stress rather than the traditional Marvel manner of psychological therapy through fisticuffs.

Lemme know if this is of any use.

I have got a Hero 4th Ed. write-up for Marvel Girl and Phoenix. The Phoenix sheet has got our mechanic (guide-lines really) for determining when she could go Dark Phoenix. Unfortunately I just arrived at work and it will be about 9 hours before I am home again and can post any further information. I'll try to remember and post some data later. I am currently in the process of coverting all my 4th Edition Marvel characters to 5th Edition.

Phoenix was actually played by one of our gamers long ago, until she and her husband moved away. Phoenix, as you know, is a strong Telepath and Telekenetic whereas Dark Phoenix is a Galaticus-level entity.

You know: If you made it like this it could be interesting:

Base Form (Tk/TP) of "Normal" power levels,

Multiform (1 form) with Side effect and activasion (equal to Ego Roll)

Side efeect is that when the roll is failed the "Dark" version comes out...

If what you're looking for is suggestions on how to build/run the second form, my suggestion would be to buy the Multiform with the No Conscious Control Limitation at the -1 level. A few published characters have taken this Lim; used this way it means that the character has no control over when the Power activates, but can use it freely thereafter. This puts control of the change to "Dark Phoenix" in the hands of the GM, which sounds like what you want.

If you're interested in stats for this dark mentalist form, I'd suggest taking a look at Menton from the Champions villains sourcebook Conquerors, Killers and Crooks as a template for your design. His combat-usable abilities alone come in at a good 1,000 points. :eek:

Absorption, 1d6, vs Mental effects, fade rate 5 pts/year, increased max pts 40 total, loses 5 pts/therapeutic mental event, only vs attacks that breech defenses, power total feeds into Multiform and at max can add 200 pts to the Multiform. This all represents the mental wear and tear that psi-combat can build up in a telepath's mind ala Mastermind's repeated psi-seductions of Jean Grey for the Hellfire Club

Aid, 1d6, to Multiform total, fade rate 5 pts/year, loses 5 pts/therapeutic mental event, max points increased to 40, No Conscious Control, Only when Ego Rolls are made for Psych Lims. This is to show how the stress of internal moral conflict can build up in a telepath's mind. Y'know, having to mind-control an innocent to forget things or feeling people die

I like these two ideas here, better than alotting xp to the multiform. Let me know if you got more input!!!!

I have got a Hero 4th Ed. write-up for Marvel Girl and Phoenix. The Phoenix sheet has got our mechanic (guide-lines really) for determining when she could go Dark Phoenix. Unfortunately I just arrived at work and it will be about 9 hours before I am home again and can post any further information. I'll try to remember and post some data later. I am currently in the process of coverting all my 4th Edition Marvel characters to 5th Edition.

Please provide them to me, I would appreciate your input!!!

I like these two ideas here, better than alotting xp to the multiform. Let me know if you got more input!!!!

Please provide them to me, I would appreciate your input!!!

Well, offhand, all you need for the Dark Phoenix scenario & writeup is to corner the GM and make him write that sucker up. If he wants to have the scenario, PC/NPC switchover and all, he's going to need to tailor that thing so it doesn't fry your fellow PCs like a handful of bacon on the grill. As to the XP expense for you, I'd say that after the whole thing goes down, you should be either allowed to keep this character who has a hidden god-mode or suffer the classic radiation accident and rebuild using the points previously dedicated to your multiform.

Scenario-wise, I would think that, rather than the comic book story of the X-men appealing to Phoenix on an emotional level, your fellow PCs be somehow absorbed by the Phoenix effect or whatever and have to fight a battle in the mental plane to restore you to sanity and prior power levels. You know, like Onslaught should have played out, rather than being the vehicle for delivering Captain America into the depraved hands of Liefield. This would work especially well if the transformation was due to some sort of outside agent as your pals could dish the smack-down to 'Mastermind' while aided by your own repressed good side.

Well' date=' offhand, all you need for the Dark Phoenix scenario & writeup is to corner the GM and make him write that sucker up. If he wants to have the scenario, PC/NPC switchover and all, he's going to need to tailor that thing so it doesn't fry your fellow PCs like a handful of bacon on the grill.[/quote']

Spoke w/ my GM, he is allowing me to go for the idea and play it as a secret character (even a major villian) which would erupt versus the PCs. What is a little conflict among friends?

Hoping to hear from you, Edsel, with the write-ups.

You know: If you made it like this it could be interesting:

Base Form (Tk/TP) of "Normal" power levels,

Multiform (1 form) with Side effect and activasion (equal to Ego Roll)

Side efeect is that when the roll is failed the "Dark" version comes out...

Can you explain a bit more on these ideas?

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner on this.

The Good News: I do have our old 4th Edition write-up of Phoenix and I am, in just a few minutes, going to enter the data in Hero Designer. :)

The Bad News: I don't have the stuff our old GM used to determine when or if Jean would loose it and go Dark Phoenix. I thought I did, but apparently he never passed me a copy of that data. :(

I will go ahead and post the Phoenix write-up that I have as soon as I get it entered. Hopefully within a couple of hours.

PhoenixHere is our groups version of Phoenix. In this version the Phoenix Force is lurking in the subconscious of Jean Grey. It subtilely manipulates takes a hand in matters whenever it desires throught the use of the 2nd VPP which it uses to modify what Jean (increase her efforts, do minor independent things, etc.). If Jean is put under great stress there is always the danger that the Phoenix force will assert control. Dark Phoenix is more of a plot devise than a character, remember in the comics she ate a star! Our old GM once said that his idea of Dark Phoenix would include a VPP in the 2000+ point range. :eek:

Combat Information Page

Character Name: Phoenix

Alternate Identities: Jean Grey

Player Name:

attachment.php?s=&postid=101723
CHARACTERISTICS CHARACTER IMAGE
Val Char Base Points Total Roll Notes
10 STR 10 0 10 11- HTH Damage 2d6 END [1]
18 DEX 10 24 18 13- OCV 6 DCV 6
25 CON 10 30 25 14-
10 BODY 10 0 10 11-
10 INT 10 0 10 11- PER Roll 11-
25 EGO 10 30 25 14- ECV: 8
25 PRE 10 15 25 14- PRE Attack: 5d6
24 COM 10 7 24 14-

6 PD 2 4 6/50   6/50 PD (0/44 rPD)
6 ED 5 1 6/50   6/50 ED (0/44 rED)
4 SPD 2.8 12 4   Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12
24 REC 7 34 24  
80 END 50 15 80  
45 STUN 28 17 45    
6" Running 6 0 6"    
2" Swimming 2 0 2"    
2"/1"" Leaping 2 0 2" 189 Total Characteristics Points
attachment.php?attachmentid=8093
EXPERIENCE POINTS
Total earned: 144
Spent: 144
Unspent: 0
Base Points: 200
Disad Points: 470
Total Points: 814
MOVEMENT
Type Total
Run (6) 6" [12" NC]
Swim (2) 2" [4" NC]
H. Leap (2") 2"
V. Leap (1") 1"
Flight 30" [480" NC]
APPEARANCE
Hair Color:  Red
Eye Color:  Green
Height:  1.67 m
Weight:  50.00 kg
Description:

MARTIAL ARTS MANEUVERS
Cost  Maneuver
Martial Arts: X-Men Training
1) Martial Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort
2) Strike: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +0 DCV, Strike 4d6
3) Martial Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, 2d6 +v/5, Target Falls
4) Martial Escape: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, 25 STR vs. Grabs
14 Total Martial Arts Cost

DEFENSES
Type Amount Notes
Physical Defense 6/50 Current BODY:
Res. Phys. Defense 0/44  
Energy Defense 6/50 Current END:
Res. Energy Defense 0/44  
Mental Defense 40 Current STUN:
Power Defense 15  
COMBAT INFORMATION
OCV: 6 DCV: 6

Combat Skill Levels: +3 with Variable Power Pool , +8 with any single attack
COMBAT MANEUVERS
Maneuver Phase OCV DCV Effect
Block 1/2 +0 +0 Block, abort
Brace 0 +2 1/2 +2 vs. Range Mod.
Disarm 1/2 -2 +0 Can disarm
Dodge 1/2 -- +3 Abort, vs. all attacks
Grab 1/2 -1 -2 Grab two limbs
Grab By 1/2 -3 -4 Move and Grab
Haymaker 1/2* +0 -5 +4 DC attack damage
Move By 1/2 -2 -2 STR/2 + v/5
Move Through 1/2 -v/5 -3 STR + v/3
Set 1 +1 +0 Ranged Attacks only
Strike 1/2 +0 +0 STR or weapon
Martial Block 1/2 +2 +2 Block, Abort
Strike 1/2 +1 +0 Strike 4d6
Martial Throw 1/2 +0 +1 2d6 +v/5, Target Falls
Martial Escape 1/2 +0 +0 25 STR vs. Grabs
COMBAT MODIFIERS
Range 0-4 5-8 9-16 17-32 33-64 65-128
RMOD 0 -2 -4 -6 -8 -10

POWERS
Cost  Power END
437 Mental Abilities: Variable Power Pool (Mentalist Pool), 250 base + 187 control cost, Cosmic (+2) (625 Active Points); Limited Power No power greater than 100 Active Points, PD & ED must be split 50/50 in Forcefields and Forcewalls must be weighted no more than 60/40. (-1/2), Limited Class Of Powers Available Psychic Powers with 1/2 END Cost (-1/2)
Notes: Example powers listed below
1) FF (40 PD/40 ED), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (100 Active Points) Real Cost: 100
2) Ego Attack 8d6, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (100 Active Points) Real Cost: 100
3) Telekinesis (53 STR), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (99 Active Points) Real Cost: 99
4) Mind Control 13d6, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Telepathic (+1/4) (97 Active Points) Real Cost: 97
5) Flight 30", Position Shift, x16 Noncombat, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (100 Active Points) Real Cost: 100
10 Psychic Rapport: Mind Link , Scott Summers, Any dimension, Psychic Bond (20 Active Points); Limited Power Emotions Only (-1) 0
15 Power Defense (15 points) 0
28 Mental Defense (40 points total), Hardened (+1/4) (35 Active Points); Limited Power Counts as only 16 point of defense vs EGO Attacks (-1/4) 0
12 Damage Resistance (24 Mental Def.) 0
8 Costume: Armor (4 PD/4 ED) (12 Active Points); Activation Roll 15- (-1/4), IIF (-1/4) 0
45 Subconscious Phoenix Force: Variable Power Pool, 30 base + 15 control cost, Cosmic (+2) (75 Active Points); No Conscious Control (GM allocates this pool in the interest of the Phoenix Force. Character is normally unaware of how these points are being allocated.; -2)
Notes: Active Point limit of the character's VPP can be raised to 125 points if this pool is used as a "booster" to the powers selected.
5 +8 Mental Defense (40 points total), Hardened (+1/4), Inherent (+1/4) (14 Active Points); No Conscious Control (-2) 0
560 Total Powers Cost

SKILLS
Cost  Name
1 Breakfall 8-
1 Navigation 8-
3 Paramedics 11-
2 PS: Fashion Designer 11-
2 PS: Model 11-
2 PS: Instructor 11-
1 Survival 8-
1 Systems Operation 8-
7 TF: Combat Aircraft, Helicopters, Large Planes, Parachuting, Basic, SCUBA, Small Motorized Ground Vehicles, Small Planes
15 +3 with Variable Power Pool
16 +8 with any single attack
Notes: Must Fully Concentrate to gain the +8.
51 Total Skills Cost

DISADVANTAGES
Cost  Disadvantage
Psychological Limitations
1) : High Moral Code (Common, Strong)
2) : In Love with Scott Summers (Cyclops) (Common, Strong)
3) : Fear of pushing her powers (Very Common, Strong)
4) : Code against killing (Common, Moderate)
15 Enraged: If Scott (Cyclops) is badly hurt (Uncommon), go 14-, recover 14-
15 Social Limitation: Secret Identity (Frequently, Major)
5 Distinctive Features: Mutant (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses)
10 Distinctive Features: Very Beautiful (Easily Concealed; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
Hunted by:
1) : Sentinels 11- (Mo Pow, Harshly Punish)
2) : Magneto 8- (Mo Pow, Harshly Punish)
3) : Brotherhood of Evil Mutants 8- (Mo Pow, Harshly Punish)
4) : Hellfire Club 8- (Mo Pow, Harshly Punish)
300 Possessed by a Cosmic Entity Bonus
470 Total Disadvantages Cost
Height: 1.67 m Hair: Red
Weight: 50.00 kg Eyes: Green
Appearance: 
Personality: 
Quote:
Background: 
Powers/Tactics: 
Campaign Use: 
Character created with Hero Designer (version 2.38 - interim build)

To use Jean as an example:

You would make Marvel Girl

In her MP you would include a large Multiform: Phoenix

It would have an activation and a side effect

If the activation fails "Dark Phoenix" appeares instead, who while having the same stats is an evil NPC

Re: Phoenix

Here is our groups version of Phoenix. In this version the Phoenix Force is lurking in the subconscious of Jean Grey. It subtilely manipulates takes a hand in matters whenever it desires throught the use of the 2nd VPP which it uses to modify what Jean (increase her efforts' date=' do minor independent things, etc.).[/quote']

Just humor me, Edsel, can explain how the 30 point VPP will actually illustrate the growing influence of the Phoenix Force? Isnt 30 points low?

Dark Phoenix is more of a plot devise than a character' date=' remember in the comics she ate a star! Our old GM once said that his idea of Dark Phoenix would include a VPP in the 2000+ point range.[/quote']

If a plot device, I assume there is no write-up of the 2000+ VPP Dark Phoenix character? If there is, please let me know....

Your ideas, like the others, are just great!!!! The more you can give, the better....

Just humor me' date=' Edsel, can explain how the 30 point VPP will actually illustrate the growing influence of the Phoenix Force? Isnt 30 points low?[/quote']

This added to the main VPP as a sort of "booster" that was under the control of the GM. If he felt that the player's action were something that the Phoenix Force would support/like/be interested in then the character's attack or other power would be boosted beyond what the player intended/wanted. Also the GM would use this to manifest small effects that he desired. It could sort of act as an emergency defense for the Phoenix Force's host.

For instance, the character gets attacked with an NND that does BODY and the defense is LS. Since the smaller VPP is no conscious control (-2), at the GM's whim the character could suddenly manifest the proper defense. In this way the Phoenix force would keep its host alive in order to keep experiencing life (which is what it was curious about).

If the character was angry (enraged or beserk) against an opponent and lashed out, the Phoenix Force would boost the attack or grant it a Variable Special Effect to exploit the target's weaknesses.

What this represented was the Phoenix Force lurking in the subconscious of Jean Grey, vicariously experiencing life through her. The extra EGO Defence (no conscious control) was EGO Def that even Jean is supposed to be unaware of. That part of her mind that even Professor X could not touch (perhaps invisible power effects are in order). Jean seemed to realize she had been changed but not how, and until she lost control she didn't seem to realize that the entity was dwelling within her.

If a plot device, I assume there is no write-up of the 2000+ VPP Dark Phoenix character? If there is, please let me know....

Your ideas, like the others, are just great!!!! The more you can give, the better....

We had never bothered to write-up Dark Phoenix since it would so out class any other character that we felt it was unnecessary. Kind of a poof! Phoenix goes dark and launches a 15d6 RKA, AVLD (Flash Defence +1 1/2), Does BODY (+1/2) [675 Active Points] at the object of her ire. (The only defense against that would be Resistant Flash Defence, by the way.) :eek:

Off the top of my head here is a way to simulate a character in danger of being consumed by the Phoenix Force within them.

If you want to simulate the character slowly loosing control, then require an EGO roll with a cumulative -1 each time the character goes enraged or is under other great stress. Once she's gone Dark Phoenix then perhaps, in the right conditions, the character gets an EGO roll (at current penalty) to allow the original to regain control. In the comic this would be when at a state of calm and when Scott gets to try and talk her back (psychic bond helps a lot). Perhaps a cumulative +1 Bonus to that EGO roll would be in order each time the GM thinks there is good cause to allow another EGO roll.

In this way you'd have a character who is paranoid about getting into stressful situations lest they loose control. Once they are in Dark form their loved ones would become a negoitating team for the galaxy trying to bring their friend back into control. Once they are back the cycle repeats until the powers of the Galaxy decide that something has to be done to quell this loose cannon of the cosmos.

We had never bothered to write-up Dark Phoenix since it would so out class any other character that we felt it was unnecessary. Kind of a poof! Phoenix goes dark and launches a 15d6 RKA, AVLD (Flash Defence +1 1/2), Does BODY (+1/2) [675 Active Points] at the object of her ire. (The only defense against that would be Resistant Flash Defence, by the way.) :eek:

Edsel, you have be a great help alongside with SuperSkrull in explaining Phoenix.

Ever attempted to writeup Dark Phoenix out of curiousity?

You also said you had a writeup for pre-Phoenix Marvel Girl????

I am asking a lot...thanks for all of your time...it does not go unappreciated:hail:

• 3 weeks later...

My computer has been down for a while so I havent been able to respond to the inputs received.

As stated previously (actually, the first post), I am still looking for a 350-point character that is on the concept of being Jean Grey/Phoenix-like.

Got a lot of great ideas to build when I am a 800+ character.

PLayed Champions for a small bit, but not enough to create really great concepts or characters yet.

Looking forward to your inputs....thanks!!!!

Well, FWIW here are all the Jean Grey/Marvel Girl/Phoenix-related writeups I could find on the Internet that weren't already cited. Admittedly they're mostly for 4E HERO System, but the differences here are pretty small.

http://www.sysabend.org/champions/gnborh/text/Phoenix4-mi.txt

http://www.sysabend.org/champions/gnborh/text/PhoentixA-sb.txt

http://www.sysabend.org/champions/gnborh/text/Marvel_Girl-ms.txt

http://www.sysabend.org/champions/gnborh/text/Marvel_Girl-sb.txt

I think the 250-pt. version of the telepathic Jean Grey (Phoenix IV) may have potential. Add in some telekinetic Multipower slots and the points in Multiform, and with a little fine-tuning you should easily make 350 points. You can use elements of some of the other writeups for inspiration.

I hope that helps - good luck. :)

I think the 250-pt. version of the telepathic Jean Grey (Phoenix IV) may have potential. Add in some telekinetic Multipower slots and the points in Multiform, and with a little fine-tuning you should easily make 350 points. You can use elements of some of the other writeups for inspiration.

I hope that helps - good luck. :)

I have seen these 4 characters previously...taking your advice, been attempting to plug in a couple of TKs (one regular, the other with fine manipulation), add forcefield, flight, multiform, and two ideas that I was given: aid and absorption.

All are expensive that has taken me past the 350 staring value.

Looks like I need to fine-tune even more.

I think the 250-pt. version of the telepathic Jean Grey (Phoenix IV) may have potential. Add in some telekinetic Multipower slots and the points in Multiform' date=' and with a little fine-tuning you should easily make 350 points.[/quote']

Looking for input.

Used the Phoenix IV stats, plugged in 2 elemental control frameworks (one for Flight/Force Field/Ment Def, the other for Aid-to-Multiform/Absorption-to- Multiform/Multiform), mental Multipower, and a END reserve (0 REC, has charges giving END/phase equal to total END used/phase). All powers, offensive and defensive, at x5 END cost.

Looked at it afterwards, seemed very minchkin or abusive...however it looked like it would work.