The Last Word

Bazza

Re: The Last Word

Ever see the Dick Van Dyke episode wherein Laura sets Rob's alarm clock ahead like 2 hours after he asks to sleep that much longer, so that he snaps out of bed, saying how refreshed he feels, then she says she set it ahead, then he's tired and annoyed? I'd have had to kill her, myself. Well, MTM always had her cuteness to deflect such attacks, in her younger days.

Heh. If I were home, that would make a lot of sense. In fact, there probably is an itty bitty kitty chewing on a cable back home.

But yeah, working on a Sunday. I'm outta vacation time for the year, so, if I'm not losing money for going to Dragon*Con, I need to pack on hours elsewhere.

Actually, I wouldn't mind working Sundays. Weekend pay is really good -- after saturday noon, there's a 100% Uncomfortable Work Hours bonus. Say that a new girl -- or guy, for that matter, but most are girls -- workin the registers start at the aquivalent to US$12/hour, working only weekends between eight and sixteen (seven hours of effectively paid time -- eight scheduled hours means one hour break), would earn something like US$276/week, or US$1,200 a month. Subtract a third of that as tax, and you got US$800/month for eight days of work!

Naw. The employer can hire whoever he wants -- it's when he wants to fire someone that it gets complicated. "Last hired, first fired," is the code, and if an employer wants to bypass the queue, so to speak, without fair cause (as defined by agreement with the union), he'll have to pay a pretty substantial fine. This happened to my dad, once. He just couldn't get along with an employee, and wanted him out. Since "not getting along" is not considered a fair cause of firing, well . . .