The Last Word

Bazza

Re: The Last Word

I think most of the raptors at Woodland Park are birds that can't be released due to injury or imprinting problems. That omits the wild ones that nest there because they like it, which is a fairly large number, I think. Most years there's a pair of bald eagles that nest in a tree that's line of sight, about 60 meters away, to the raptor display yard. Makes life there more interesting. :straight:

At the WNC Nature Center, there are a bunch of peacocks and peahens who hang out there. And why not? People toss bread crumbs for them there!

Every once in a while, they'll go wandering, and the volunteers at the WNCNC will get a call that "their" peacocks have gotten loose. They used to try explaining to people that they didn't belong there, but nobody believed them, and some people got angry about it. So they started taking it on themselves to go get them every time they get such a call.

I was with my kids at the zoo when a barred owl stopped in to visit the Great Grey. It was worth the double-take when I realized one of those big guys wasn't in the enclosure. The staff were interested in the heads-up, but it was far from the first time it'd happened.

Heck, I've been harassed by little birds like that. When the barn swallows insist on building their nests under the eaves right over the patio door, it gets annoying that they panic and attack any person or cat who passes through that door all spring & winter.

Mitnoy, our cat at the time, was a remarkably patient creature, but even he got annoyed enough at times to try to time a buzz-pass right and leap to catch the incoming bird. That, of course, caused many more alarm calls and further buzzing....