The Last Word

Bazza

Re: The Last Word

I have my biases' date=' I cheerfully admit.[/quote']

As far as self help books, I'm more with you in general feeling. I'd imagine you'd like me to have your self help books to have more depth. These are some I thought of:

"Gödel, Escher, Bach" by Douglas Hofstadter

"The Ash Wednesday Supper" or "The Expulsion of the Triumphant Beast" by Giordano Bruno

"The Sceptical Chymist" by Robert Boyle

"Opticks: or a Treatise of the Reflections, Refractions, Inflections & Colours of Light" Isaac Newton

"Critique of Pure Reason" by Immanuel Kant

"Arcana Coelestia" or "Arcana Caelestia" by Emanuel Swedenborg

I had fun compiling the list

iPhone is aiding Abilene [Christian University] in giving students the information they need — when they want it, wherever they want it, said Bill Rankin, a professor of medieval studies who helped plan the initiative.

“About five years ago my students stopped taking notes,” Rankin said. “I asked, ‘Why are you not taking notes?’ And they said, ‘Why would we take notes on that?…. I can go to Wikipedia or go to Google, and I can get all the information I need.”

Wikipedia?

:rofl:

As far as self help books, I'm more with you in general feeling. I'd imagine you'd like me to have your self help books to have more depth. These are some I thought of:

"Gödel, Escher, Bach" by Douglas Hofstadter

"The Ash Wednesday Supper" or "The Expulsion of the Triumphant Beast" by Giordano Bruno

"The Sceptical Chymist" by Robert Boyle

"Opticks: or a Treatise of the Reflections, Refractions, Inflections & Colours of Light" Isaac Newton

"Critique of Pure Reason" by Immanuel Kant

"Arcana Coelestia" or "Arcana Caelestia" by Emanuel Swedenborg

I had fun compiling the list

I wouldn't call any of those self-help books. Books to read, certainly, but not part of the self-help genre.

I wouldn't call any of those self-help books. Books to read' date=' certainly, but not part of the self-help genre.[/quote']

Did I say they those books were part of the self help genre? Nope, I described them as self help books, meaning that you can improve yourself (self development) by reading them.

Self-help books are books written with the stated intention to instruct any readers on a number of personal problems. Self-improvement is a term that is a modernized version of self-help, and bookstores use both terms to classify these types of books in the store.

Did I say they those books were part of the self help genre? Nope' date=' I described them as self help books, meaning that you can improve yourself (self development) by reading them.[/quote']

You had this just before your list.

As far as self help books' date=' I'm more with you in general feeling. I'd imagine you'd like me to have your self help books to have more depth. These are some I thought of:[/quote']

That sort of stuff doesn't fly well on the internet. You're arguing from twisted perspective in this case.

The topic was self help books

You listed non-help books

Cancer says those aren't self help books

You argue that you're weren't listing self help books.

Not much of a point.

You had this just before your list.

That sort of stuff doesn't fly well on the internet. You're arguing from twisted perspective in this case.

The topic was self help books

You listed non-help books

Cancer says those aren't self help books

You argue that you're weren't listing self help books.

Not much of a point.

you have that wrong. The posts are below, emphasis added on word "genre".

I wouldn't call any of those self-help books. Books to read' date=' certainly, but not part of the [b']self-help genre[/b].

Did I say they those books were part of the self help genre? Nope' date=' I described them as self help books, meaning that you can improve yourself (self development) by reading them.[/quote']

Second bit of emphasis:

I wouldn't call any of those self-help books. Books to read' date=' certainly,[/b'] but not part of the self-help genre.

Which is what I was going for, suggested books that Cancer might read to improve/develop himself (post #16365).

So what then would you call books that are not part of the self help genre (typically books light on depth ie fluff) but still are books (with more depth) you can read to improve and develop yourself and your capacity for furthering your learning? What are these books called?

you have that wrong. The posts are below' date=' emphasis added on word "genre".[/quote']

This is the type of Internet arguments I hate. If you're going off on a tangent, but don't make it clear, expect to be called on it. Don't nitpick that we couldn't follow your changing the subject.