The Last Word

Bazza

Re: The Last Word

Smoking as a prime example.

I was thinking more flouride in the water supply. There is science that says it is good, as well as science that is saying not to let a toxic chemical in the water supply.

Someone is not telling the truth...the question is who?

Another example is climate change, another is the case investigated by Erin Brockovich who found out and blew apart corporate-funded science.

It's still tricked out as science, though, and large segments of the population have a hard time telling the difference.

These days, Bazza .... lots and lots.

Yeah, that's what makes it so sad, a noble pursuit for truth twisted by power-mad interests not aligned with the common and greater good of society and civilisation. When disception occurs misinfomation is not far behind.

I was thinking more flouride in the water supply. There is science that says it is good, as well as science that is saying not to let a toxic chemical in the water supply.

Someone is not telling the truth...the question is who?

Actually, taken at surface value, could be both. The dental-effect studies could be completely up front. The way said studies are constructed, they are unlikely to detect any non-dental toxicity effects the fluoride might have -- indeed, they are unlikely to look for such effects. Doing so would greatly increase the data-gathering and analysis work needed. A toxicity study could be constructed to see if the amount of fluoride one can expect to enter via the digestive or absorptive paths in such a treatment program results in detectable non-dental health effects during or after the program. Both studies, if done properly, should take about 10-15 years to do.

Another example is climate change, another is the case investigated by Erin Brockovich who found out and blew apart corporate-funded science.

Yep.

They wanted to know how I generated one of the input files, the one for survival curves for ovarian cancer, broken out by age at diagnosis, stage at diagnosis, grade and histology of tumor. I managed to find the input files and script that did it, and sent them a zipfile with that. As well as some comments about what I was thinking at the time and hence my general approach that I favored then.

Actually' date=' taken at surface value, could be both. The dental-effect studies could be completely up front. The way said studies are constructed, they are unlikely to detect any [u']non-dental[/u] toxicity effects the fluoride might have -- indeed, they are unlikely to look for such effects. Doing so would greatly increase the data-gathering and analysis work needed. A toxicity study could be constructed to see if the amount of fluoride one can expect to enter via the digestive or absorptive paths in such a treatment program results in detectable non-dental health effects during or after the program. Both studies, if done properly, should take about 10-15 years to do.

So it would come down to a scoping issue, looking only at the teeth and not the rest of the organism.

If you know x chemical is bad, scope out the good part and focus on that. Then publish.

I also recall a James Bond film where the villain wanted to put fluoride in the water supply. This you-know, didn't tip people off? :nonp: