Lovecraft Horror Hero

PaRappaTheRappe

Well, I've just downloaded Hero Designer to tinker with my Guu character: I guess I'll go with the Reality Warp power in FH, the one based on EDM. The reason is, I want a single elegant solution themed on her eating and stomach dimensions. In FH, the game mechanic for the power blurs the distinction between making 'x' true, and taking someone to a dimension where 'x' is true. So far, so good, since I can take any crazy thing she does in the series and justify it by this power (I call it Bafu! which is the sound Hale hears when swallowed by Guu).

Now I'm remembering a really great sourcebook for 3rd edition Hero, I can't remember it, but it was horror-themed with insanity, a hive of grotesque transdimensional insects called the Analephoids or something, and other neat uses of the system to make a Lovecraftian story. The hive-things had overrun the world, and people were cocooned as food or egg-hosts, and I thought it was the coolest sourcebook ever. I doubt a revision for Hero 5 will ever make the light of day- anyone remember this book and the rules it used? Something about Aid or Transform...

Re: Lovecraft Horror Hero

The horrors in question were called the Anopheles (after the mosquito genus). This adventure/setting was titled "Horror World," written by Allen Varney. It's in the Fourth Edition Champions sourcebook, Champions In 3-D - a very good book overall. IMHO it's the most brilliantly disturbing horror adventure ever written for a superhero game, but not for the faint of heart.

The mechanic used for the insanity-inducing effect of the Anopheles' presence - leaving off the bells and whistles - was essentially an AoE Transform, NND (successful EGO roll). The thrust of this was that repeated or prolonged exposure to the Anopheles would eventually drive any human mad. Those with stronger wills (higher EGO) would hold out the longest.

Ah, excellent... now I just have to hunt for that book again... yeah, it did leave a strong impression on me, with the flying larva forms, and the illustration at the beginning with spiky-faced folks, cocooned guy, and a girl holding her face in her hands. I definitely never before or since saw a HERO supplement quite like it. It seemed to belong with the Call of Cthulhu stuff.

It seemed to belong with the Call of Cthulhu stuff.

Call Of Cthulhu was my inspiration when I wrote "Horror Hero" (which all right-thinking people should call "Anopheles," my original title). The premise of the modern-day alternate world depicted in the adventure is that all those pulp-era investigators, 60-70 years past, who were fighting Cthulhoid cults and other-dimensional monstrosities, failed.

Maybe I should try to locate the file for that adventure and, assuming the good DoJ folks approve, post it on my home page.

Call Of Cthulhu was my inspiration when I wrote "Horror Hero" (which all right-thinking people should call "Anopheles," my original title). The premise of the modern-day alternate world depicted in the adventure is that all those pulp-era investigators, 60-70 years past, who were fighting Cthulhoid cults and other-dimensional monstrosities, failed.

Maybe I should try to locate the file for that adventure and, assuming the good DoJ folks approve, post it on my home page.

Assuming you and they have no problems with it, I think that would be really cool. That setting, along with Mystic Masters, are among my favorite creations for 4E Champions. I'm sure people would appreciate your generosity.

This website also has a page for downloading free adventures, if you didn't want to host it yourself.

(Please check my Private Message to you.)

Guest bblackmoor

Maybe I should try to locate the file for that adventure and' date=' assuming the good DoJ folks approve, post it on my home page.[/quote']

I would love to see that.

• 2 weeks later...

So now I've got that Hero Designer downloaded. And I've rented the Devilman TV series. Has anyone done a Surbrook on Devilman yet?

Uhm.... no. No one has sent me Devilman for the archive. I wasn't a big fan of the series so I won't be doing his write-up.

Guest bblackmoor

You can find the adventure about the Anopheles on the Red October website. It is a txt file but still there.

Google doesn't return anything relevant for "red october" anopheles. Do you have a URL?

Google doesn't return anything relevant for "red october" anopheles. Do you have a URL?

The archives from the grand old Red October HERO BBS are currently hosted on Shelley Chrystal Mactyre's excellent website. You'll find the link on that homepage. I heartily recommend perusing those archives - there are lots of treasures there. Red October was the hub of the Hero internet community back in the day.

As for the specific Anopheles adventure, you can download a .zip file from this webpage.

Guest bblackmoor

Red October was the hub of the Hero internet community back in the day.

Ah, the halcyon days of 2400 baud modems, Trade Wars, and arguments over ... who remembers? I just know we argued a lot.

I never logged into Red October, oddly enough. I'm not sure why not.

Thanks for the link. :)

P.S. On a completely incidental note, people who are hoary enough to recall those days of yore may find this of interest:

Halcyon Days: Interviews with Classic Computer and Video Game Programmers

The archives from the grand old Red October HERO BBS are currently hosted on Shelley Chrystal Mactyre's excellent website. You'll find the link on that homepage. I heartily recommend perusing those archives - there are lots of treasures there. Red October was the hub of the Hero internet community back in the day.

As for the specific Anopheles adventure, you can download a .zip file from this webpage.

Thanks for those links! I'll fire up HERO Designer right now.

Guest bblackmoor

Call Of Cthulhu was my inspiration when I wrote "Horror Hero" (which all right-thinking people should call "Anopheles' date='" my original title). The premise of the modern-day alternate world depicted in the adventure is that all those pulp-era investigators, 60-70 years past, who were fighting Cthulhoid cults and other-dimensional monstrosities, failed.[/quote']

I'm only about halfway through it, but this is good stuff. :cool: