Archmage Stats

Powerhouse

Re: Archmage Stats

I would suggest more points spent on Base. Archmage-type's tend to live in places with enormous magical protections and enhancements, arcane libraries stuffed with knowledge, and often stockpiles of lesser artifacts and objects of power. I don't think you can fit it on 150 points.

Defensively, I think she needs some work. While the defensive spells multipower is nice, I really think she could use some base PD/ED. Perhaps some Armor with a "mystic wardings" sfx??

Also, in addition to adding astral awareness, the mystic senses of the Archmage should be extremely keen; I'd add Analyze, Discriminatory, Ranged, and Sense to Detect Magic.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"To duplicate the sort of Astral Form that can travel anywhere on earth in an instant, you may also want to give the Astral Form a Mega-Scale Teleport for the Astral Form that can be scaled down to local levels. "

The only problem with the teleport is that she needs to be able to sense where she is going. Though with a VPP pool should could probably mimic Clairsentience to serve. What do you think of using FTL or mega-scale flight (which, like your teleport, could be scaled to local levels)?

"The Krypticon probably wouldn't travel with her while Astral. She'd better use that VPP to put some Triggered wards on it so nobody steals it while she's Astrally galivanting. "

Heh... sounds like a lesson to learn the HARD way. *grins evilly*

"The biggest think I can think of that you neglected was to give her base form the ability to perceive Astral beings. That should be automatic for an Archmage. Use the Dimensional Sense Adders on p. 93 of THE MYSTIC WORLD to at very least give her Astral Sight."

Good call. I would think that being able to sense astral form would be inherent in the magic sense but not necessarily. I'll make the change. Thank you.

"I would suggest more points spent on Base. Archmage-type's tend to live in places with enormous magical protections and enhancements, arcane libraries stuffed with knowledge, and often stockpiles of lesser artifacts and objects of power. I don't think you can fit it on 150 points."

*nods* I was wondering if it was a little low. Most of the relics and artifacts that the archmage once had have been either destroyed or scattered to the winds since the attack that wiped out Lady Silver's predeccesor. Still, it's something that she could work on as experience is gained (and new artifacts like the scepter mentioned in the Mystic World are found).

That said, it's probable that some additional points could be spent now to have a sanctum better suited for even the new archmage. I'm really missing my mystic masters. Can I obtain that book as a download online? I'd love to look at its sections on bases.

"Defensively, I think she needs some work. While the defensive spells multipower is nice, I really think she could use some base PD/ED. Perhaps some Armor with a "mystic wardings" sfx??"

I don't know to be honest. Practically I see your point but in genre don't most supermages tend to have non-persistant defenses? Did Dr. Strange ever have any type of low level warding on all the time? As for her base ED/PD, it's partly trying to define her in Champions since as someone who is still human (just very, very skilled) she probably shouldn't have the speed, dex, and con that she has but hey, gotta stay competitive. As a result, I'm hesitant to raise her defenses. Maybe raising them to 10/10 could work but that's as high as I'd like.

I'll think about it. She probably had a bullet-proof resistant costume at one point and that could carry over now (armor or damage resistance with an activation roll). Defenses could be higher than one might expect by stating the costume is magically enhanced or even a gift from a magically people, like her cloak is. Then again, with her new level of power, some type of low level and invisible persistant warding (just armor with your SFX noted above) might be more feasible.

"Also, in addition to adding astral awareness, the mystic senses of the Archmage should be extremely keen; I'd add Analyze, Discriminatory, Ranged, and Sense to Detect Magic."

Something I missed, thanks. If I add analyze to the sense, should I remove her analyze magic skill as overlapping?

Thank you everyone for your help and I look foward to even more wonderful advice!

"It should be noted that the Krypticon is not something you go carrying around. Its something you keep in your sanctum normally ( beyond the strongest protections in the place ).

Meaning you might be able to get away with sticking it inside your Base points."

I like how you think. :) Yeah it's not something that she'll normally carry around and since it takes a week to use a slot, it's more a plot device than anything. Kinda sucks habing to pay about 130 pts for something that you can duplicate mostly with a VPP. It's more a "keeping up with the Jones," sort thing to represent her status as the arch mage.

The only problem with the teleport is that she needs to be able to sense where she is going. Though with a VPP pool should could probably mimic Clairsentience to serve. What do you think of using FTL or mega-scale flight (which' date=' like your teleport, could be scaled to local levels)?']

Per the description of the Power itself, FTL can explicitly never be used in an atmosphere, even when Desolidified. In order to get past having to see the target, simply apply the "Safe Blind Teleport" Advantage (+1/4).

I would think that being able to sense astral form would be inherent in the magic sense but not necessarily. I'll make the change. Thank you.

Nope, senses aren't Dimensional unless you buy them that way. I suppose you could buy "Detect Astral Beings" as a Detect, but that would probably be more expensive than just making other senses Dimensional.

You're very welcome. I'm always glad to provide feedback, just like I always enjoy others' feedback on the characters I post.

If I add Analyze to the sense' date=' should I remove her Analyze Magic skill as overlapping? [/quote']

Analyze as a Skill still has some benefits, such as providing information about an opponent's relative power ranking, training and - if you roll well enough - bonuses on DCV or Skill vs. Skill rolls, so there's nothing wrong with keeping both.

"I would suggest more points spent on Base. Archmage-type's tend to live in places with enormous magical protections and enhancements, arcane libraries stuffed with knowledge, and often stockpiles of lesser artifacts and objects of power. I don't think you can fit it on 150 points."

*nods* I was wondering if it was a little low. Most of the relics and artifacts that the archmage once had have been either destroyed or scattered to the winds since the attack that wiped out Lady Silver's predeccesor. Still, it's something that she could work on as experience is gained (and new artifacts like the scepter mentioned in the Mystic World are found).

That said, it's probable that some additional points could be spent now to have a sanctum better suited for even the new archmage. I'm really missing my mystic masters. Can I obtain that book as a download online? I'd love to look at its sections on bases.

True. However, alot of those points go to stuff like "mystic wardings" and "focus circles" and such. A mage's sanctum, especially an archmage, should be the place you least want to fight them. IOW, even absent most of the old artifacts, it should be a very durable place, and almost impossible to penetrate by discrete means. An Aid effect isn't a bad idea either, defined as various things.

All of this could be easily justified as stuff your character makes, too.

"Defensively, I think she needs some work. While the defensive spells multipower is nice, I really think she could use some base PD/ED. Perhaps some Armor with a "mystic wardings" sfx??"

I don't know to be honest. Practically I see your point but in genre don't most supermages tend to have non-persistant defenses? Did Dr. Strange ever have any type of low level warding on all the time? As for her base ED/PD, it's partly trying to define her in Champions since as someone who is still human (just very, very skilled) she probably shouldn't have the speed, dex, and con that she has but hey, gotta stay competitive. As a result, I'm hesitant to raise her defenses. Maybe raising them to 10/10 could work but that's as high as I'd like.

I'll think about it. She probably had a bullet-proof resistant costume at one point and that could carry over now (armor or damage resistance with an activation roll). Defenses could be higher than one might expect by stating the costume is magically enhanced or even a gift from a magically people, like her cloak is. Then again, with her new level of power, some type of low level and invisible persistant warding (just armor with your SFX noted above) might be more feasible.

Actually, yeah, Dr Strange does have default defenses. Damn good ones. Good enough to take a hit from the Hulk and not be seriously hurt.

"Also, in addition to adding astral awareness, the mystic senses of the Archmage should be extremely keen; I'd add Analyze, Discriminatory, Ranged, and Sense to Detect Magic."

Something I missed, thanks. If I add analyze to the sense, should I remove her analyze magic skill as overlapping?

Thank you everyone for your help and I look foward to even more wonderful advice!

I don't think they overlap. Analyze gives you precise information from the sense, but Analyze Magic would let you figure out what that means. For an example, Detect Magic with Analyze might tell you that a given device has a specific type of necromantic aura, powerful, and with certain foci, while the Analyze Magic skill might tell you that the specific type in question is Edomite sorcery, and that by breaking the foci gems, you can disperse it harmlessly.

"It should be noted that the Krypticon is not something you go carrying around. Its something you keep in your sanctum normally ( beyond the strongest protections in the place ).

Meaning you might be able to get away with sticking it inside your Base points."

I like how you think. :) Yeah it's not something that she'll normally carry around and since it takes a week to use a slot, it's more a plot device than anything. Kinda sucks habing to pay about 130 pts for something that you can duplicate mostly with a VPP. It's more a "keeping up with the Jones," sort thing to represent her status as the arch mage.

Well, most of the effects could be duplicated if you tap upon the right mystic entity, but keep in mind that the Krypticon is a powerful artifact. Even aside from its exact writeup, in cases where there is potential for the sfx to matter, benefit of the doubt should be given with such a device.

Plus, that mindwipe slot is *nasty*.

• 3 months later...

Presenting the Archmage herself. The Heromaker program keeps setting her duplication back to 100% rather than 50%. It should be 50% duplication for an even 1200 pts.

Hmm.. I tried to paste from Wordpad as I did before but all it did was give me a HUGE blank space. Maybe the sheet is just too much. In the meantime, please review the attachment and let me know what you think. As always, comments and suggestions are very appreciated.

And of course, the archmage needs a place to rest up and study.

Using a mix of homebrew and the official hero universe, I decided that Lady Silver is the first archmage since the murder of the last one in the early 1900's. Learning from that, and deciding that she will be pro-active in bringing some law to the mystic world (DEMON and the Slyvestri clan in particular are on her her hit list), she's trying to keep her sanctum's location private through means both mystic and mundane (bought under a different name). Only the Council right now is aware of the location.

The place is a mansion in the suburbs of San Franciso with an extensive library and powerful defenses. If you've read the Mystic Masters supplement, then you will be familar with the spell of concealment which basically hides the mystic nature of the house. The big grunting golem that visits Lady Silver appears to be a huge guy built like a professional wrester who speaks passable English for example.

The sanctum is also bigger on the inside than the outside, including a whole floor that shouldn't be there.

Please enjoy and as always suggestions and comments are appreciated. Thanks.