Char: The Captain

CourtFool

I thought I would post my version of the old cop staple...

The Captain

a.k.a: Sarge, The Old Man, Top

Val Char Cost

10 STR 0

10 DEX 0

10 CON 0

10 BODY 0

13 INT 3

13 EGO 6

14 PRE 4

10 COM 0

2 PD 0

2 ED 0

2 SPD 0

4 REC 0

20 END 0

20 STUN 0

6" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

2" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 13

Cost Skill

2 AK or CK appropriate to job or jurisdiction 11-

1 “I just got off the phone with the chief and you are lucky you still have a job!†Bureaucratics 8-

1 “Don’t tell me how to drive. I’ve been driving longer than you’ve been walking!†Combat Driving 8-

6 “Let me pull some strings.†Contacts (6 points’ worth)

0 “Just because we’re talking doesn’t mean we are going to start taking long, hot showers together.†Conversation 8-

3 Criminology 11-

0 “Any numb nuts can put 2 and 2 together!†Deduction 8-

4 “They did not make me captain for my charming disposition!†Fringe Benefit: Law Enforcement Rank

2 Fringe Benefit: Local Police Powers

1 Fringe Benefit: Weapon Permit

3 “By the book this time!†KS: Criminal Law and Procedure 12-

3 KS: The Law Enforcement World 12-

2 Observant: +1 PER with Sight Group

1 “What are you all looking at? Get back to work!†Oratory 8-

0 “Stop your whining! It’s just a scratch.†Paramedics 8-

0 “Don’t make me bust you down to traffic!†Persuasion 8-

4 “I’ve been on the force since before you were a twinkle in your father’s eye.†PS: Police Officer 13-

3 “Word on the street is…†Streetwise 12-

2 WF: Small Arms

Skills Cost: 37

Val Disadvantages

10 Hunted: Chief 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching)

15 Psychological Limitation: Protects His Men (Common, Strong)

20 Social Limitation: Subject to Orders (Very Frequently, Major)

Disadvantage Points: 45(25)

Cost Summary:

Base Points:25

Disadvantage Points: 25

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Total Character Cost: 50

Personality: The Captain is brash and rarely carries on a conversation without yelling. He is often in trouble with the chief and takes it out on his men. On the other hand, he is very protective of his men and will not hesitate to go to bat for them when he thinks they are “in the right.†The Captain is the one person you can always trust. He is never corrupt and when the chips are really down you can depend on him to have your back. He is firm but fair.

Quote: “One more screw up and you will be walking a beat!â€

Background: The Captain is an old war dog. He has been on the force long enough to have seen it all and done most of it. He has an endless list of contacts and favors not only on the force but everywhere they may be needed. He has worked his way up the chain of command through years of loyal service and learning how to play politics.

Campaign Use: The Captain can be used for comic relief, as another means to feed players clues they may have overlooked, to remind them that their character’s actions have repercussions and as an extra gun if needed in the final shoot-out.

Stupid Microsoft

I would just like to say that I hate MS Word as an HTML editor. If I wanted all that feces in my code, I would put it in there myself.

Second I would like to say I just do not get vb code.

Thirdly, before someone suggests it, yes I do have Hero Designer. I have it at home and am currently not there to take full advantage of its features.

Fourthly...grrrrrrrr!

Re: Char: The Captain

Only thing I can think of is this. Most of your "titled" skills are all Fams. Meaning, he's not THAT good at them. And a PC would mop the floor with him skill wise (but then again, that's a PC).

You might think about boosting those skills to either regular levels or increasing them beyong that. After all, he's suppose to be the "crusty ol' timer that's been around awhile" right?

Only thing I can think of is this. Most of your "titled" skills are all Fams. Meaning' date=' he's not THAT good at them. And a PC would mop the floor with him skill wise (but then again, that's a PC).[/quote']

Interesting point. I conciously approached this character from the 'supporting cast' perspective. I never intended him to be a challenge for the PCs; merely color for the background. I did consider boosting the skills but further reflection revealed that this archtype was not really good at these skills. Merely that they were attempted.

My points of references were Chief Bogomil (Beverly Hills Cop I & II), Captain Ed Murphy (Lethal Weapon I, II, III & IV), as well as captains from Exit Wounds, Tango and Cash and plenty more I am forgetting.

Do you see these guys holding their own with the PCs?

Re: Stupid Microsoft

I would just like to say that I hate MS Word as an HTML editor. If I wanted all that feces in my code' date=' I would put it in there myself.[/color']

There is this thing called msfilter (which you can find out about here) which strips out all the uneccessary guff. You still have to do a bit of hand-editing afterwards if you want really clean code, but it does about 90% of the work.

True.

But, in a sense, I guess no NPC can really hold their own against a PC. At least not for very long.

What prompted the reply is the naming of the skills themselves. I think I mentioned this, when you go "I've been driving longer then you've been walking" and then have the skill at an 8- . . . doesn't seem to make sense to me.

Also, from another prospective, you could, using The Capitan do something along the lines of the "crusty ol' cop that's the mentor to the fledgling PC" who the PC then starts to out grow but can still come to for help etc.