Alternatives to the Speed Chart from DH

Greatwyrm

Re: Alternatives to the Speed Chart from DH

Or you can roll the d12 and move if you roll a segment appropriate for your character.

This is readily modified to be a one roll system (eg. on a 3, every character who would move on 3 gets an action; a 12 means a PS12 as well). This reduces the amount of die rolling.

the system i use does away with the spd chart, but still makes spd usefull by combining it with CV

Initaitive 1d6+spd

CV dex/5+spd (produces almost identical cv except for speedsters and normals)

Extra attack for at -3 initiative and -2CV for alll attacks that round.

I always had a problem wih spd 12 characters vs spd 2 having no increased chance to hit, its unrealistic. High dex balances out high spd concepts. Why shoud speedsters have abnormal dex and all it implies anyway?

Our group uses an alternate SPD system that (I think) works quite well.

I've always been a bit irritated at the plodding, predictable nature of the SPD chart. Players tend to disengage from the game in segments in which they have no chance to act. I love HERO, but sometimes a little randomness is just fun.

I also found that if a campaign has a typical SPD stat, say '5' for most of our supers characters, then a character with 1 pt. of SPD more has a huge advantage that's disproportionate to the difference in the stat. His phases are set apart from other characters, and that gives him more freedom to choose to Haymaker, etc. Also, if his DEX is higher (which tends to be the case), it essentially gives him 1 "free" phase a turn in which he can do otherwise risky maneuvers (reduced DCV, especially) at virtually no increased risk. Example: SPD 6 DEX 30 character can do almost whatever he wants in seg 6, because he will get to act again at the beginning of seg 8 before SPD 5 characters do. The only way of combatting these disproportionate advantages is for characters to constantly hold their actions and "metagame" with the timing of their phases.

Our solution: We put away the chart- Each segment, characters each roll a d12 (I know you play HERO, but you gotta have one laying around). If a character's roll is equal to or less than his SPD stat, he gets a phase that segment, in order of DEX as usual. Characters can get a run of actions, or a run of non-actions, but statistically each gets the same number per Turn that he should.

If he rolls a 12, at the end of that segment give him his Post-Segment 12 Recovery and put into effect anything for that character that goes off at the end of a Turn. Example: Wonka rolls a 12...his exploding candy with the Limitation 'Extra Time: 1 Turn' goes off on his DEX. He also takes bleeding damage and gets a free recovery at the end of the segment.

If you like the SPD chart, great....but if you want to try something new with "initiative," give this one a shot.

I liked this idea when I first read it in AC#21, and I still like it.

However, I'd make anything with Extra Time go by actual time passed, not by "luck o' the dice".

Oh, and Hugh -- what you suggest doesn't change the probabilities, but does mean the Speed Chart still needs to be referred to. Of course, if someone wants to keep the Speed Chart in people's minds even while experimenting with another method, that's a good thing. But it *is* an extra complication...

Since under the method etherio's talking about, each player rolls his own d12, the amount of die rolling is not all that different.

I liked this idea when I first read it in AC#21' date=' and I still like it.[/quote']

Didn't realize this was published or I'd have cited it. The concept is simple, so I'm sure many of us have tried similar systems.

However' date=' I'd make anything with Extra Time go by actual time passed, not by "luck o' the dice".[/quote']

I felt the same way at first, and that's surely a more accurate way to do things. However, we found that the bookkeeping was a hassle and slowed things down at times. Ya just gotta find your own balance between playability and precision.

I liked this idea when I first read it in AC#21' date=' and I still like it.[/quote']

Didn't realize this was published or I'd have cited it. The concept is simple, so I'm sure many of us have tried similar systems.

Oh, sorry, thought you'd gotten it from there.

I guess "parrallel evolution" never occured to me. Sorry, my bad. :(

However, I'd make anything with Extra Time go by actual time passed, not by "luck o' the dice".

I felt the same way at first, and that's surely a more accurate way to do things. However, we found that the bookkeeping was a hassle and slowed things down at times. Ya just gotta find your own balance between playability and precision.

Hmmm....

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see that there'd be much more bookkeeping. "OK, it's Segment 6 of Turn 2. BigMage, your spell doesn't go off until Segment 6 of Turn 3. OtherMage, *your* spell has 'Extra Time: Extra Segment,' so the next time you roll a -- what, 5? yeah, OK 5 or less -- your spell goes off at your DEX on the *following* Segment." A little complex, but then "Delayed Phase" or "Extra Segment" isn't exactly dead simple anyway. ;)

BTW, I don't like the "roll a 12 to get a post-12-recovery" part. Bad rolls, and your character never gets to recover. I'd stick with getting Recoveries once a Turn. (NB: yes, I know a character can 'pause' a phase and Recover. Doesn't apply to the point I'm making here.)

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see that there'd be much more bookkeeping. "OK, it's Segment 6 of Turn 2. BigMage, your spell doesn't go off until Segment 6 of Turn 3. OtherMage, *your* spell has 'Extra Time: Extra Segment,' so the next time you roll a -- what, 5? yeah, OK 5 or less -- your spell goes off at your DEX on the *following* Segment." A little complex, but then "Delayed Phase" or "Extra Segment" isn't exactly dead simple anyway. ;)

BTW, I don't like the "roll a 12 to get a post-12-recovery" part. Bad rolls, and your character never gets to recover. I'd stick with getting Recoveries once a Turn. (NB: yes, I know a character can 'pause' a phase and Recover. Doesn't apply to the point I'm making here.)

Both points here rely on you being willing to keep track of what segment it is (1-12) or of how long each Turn-reliant effect has been in play. If you are, great...you'll have the precision you seek. I'd rather not. The point for me is to get rid of the SPD chart entirely while keeping different SPD values relative to each other and to Segment 12. I've found it works okay this way, keeps my nose out of a checklist during play, and eliminates debates about what Turn it is or how many Segments have passed. With our system, there is no "Segment 6 of Turn 2." Each Segment is equivalent to all others.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basil

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see that there'd be much more bookkeeping. "OK, it's Segment 6 of Turn 2. BigMage, your spell doesn't go off until Segment 6 of Turn 3. OtherMage, *your* spell has 'Extra Time: Extra Segment,' so the next time you roll a -- what, 5? yeah, OK 5 or less -- your spell goes off at your DEX on the *following* Segment." A little complex, but then "Delayed Phase" or "Extra Segment" isn't exactly dead simple anyway.

Both points here rely on you being willing to keep track of what segment it is (1-12) or of how long each Turn-reliant effect has been in play. If you are, great...you'll have the precision you seek. I'd rather not. The point for me is to get rid of the SPD chart entirely while keeping different SPD values relative to each other and to Segment 12. I've found it works okay this way, keeps my nose out of a checklist during play, and eliminates debates about what Turn it is or how many Segments have passed. With our system, there is no "Segment 6 of Turn 2." Each Segment is equivalent to all others.

Well, to each his own. :)

I'd go with your system, except for the end-of-Turn/XTime-1-Turn business. I don't really like randomness that that gets. Other than that, it's a great system. In particular, it keeps players focused on the game, rather than going, "It's another 4 segments till I can act again, so I'm gonna read/veg-out/yatter away."