Character for Comment: Atlas

Tim

Trying to build a high-powered super isn't easy. so I present my first try to the boards. This is for a Justice League style campaign.Please tell me what you think.AtlasPlayer:

Val Char Cost
90 STR 80
30 DEX 60
50 CON 80
15 BODY 10
13 INT 3
15 EGO 10
40 PRE 30
16 COM 3
45 PD 27
35 ED 25
6 SPD 20
30 REC 4
100 END 0
85 STUN 0
1" RUN-102" SWIM00" LEAP-18Characteristics Cost: 324
Cost Power END
22 Effortless Strength: Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) for up to 90 Active Points of Str (22 Active Points) 0
34 Dense Physical Mass: Damage Resistance (30 PD/25 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (34 Active Points) 0
50 Radiation Eye Beams: EB 10d6, No Range Modifier (+1/2) (75 Active Points); Not when Blinded Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (-1/2) 7
9 +3 PER with all Sense Groups 0
10 Massive Health: Power Defense (10 points) 0
10 Hard to Move: Knockback Resistance -5" 0
90 Radiant Flight: Multipower, 90-point reserve
9u 1) Standard Flight: Flight 25", Position Shift, x4 Noncombat, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (90 Active Points) 0
9u 2) Supersonic Flight: Flight 30", Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), MegaScale (1" = 1 km; +1/4) (90 Active Points) 3
Powers Cost: 243
Cost Skill
1 Bureaucratics 8-
3 Electronics 12-
3 KS: Air and Space craft 12-
3 Navigation 12-
1 Paramedics 8-
5 SS: Aerospace Engineering 14-
1 Teamwork 8-
3 SS: Physics 12-
3 SS: Astronomy 12-
2 SS: Mathmatics 11-
3 Computer Programming 12-
1 Systems Operation 8-
Skills Cost: 29
Cost Perk
2 Reputation (A medium-sized group) 11-, +2/+2d6
2 Fringe Benefit: International Driver's License, Passport
Perks Cost: 4
Val Disadvantages
20 Physical Limitation: Paraplegic, cannot walk (All the Time, Greatly Impairing)
25 Susceptibility: From Questionite Radiation, 3d6 damage per Phase (Uncommon)
15 Psychological Limitation: Hatred of Dr. Praetorious (Common, Strong)
15 Social Limitation: Secret ID (Frequently, Major)
20 Hunted: Dr. Praetorious 11- (As Pow, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish)
15 Psychological Limitation: Code vs Killing (Common, Strong)
20 Psychological Limitation: Code of the Hero (Very Common, Strong)
20 Hunted: Viper 11- (As Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)
Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 450Experience Required: 0Total Experience Available: 0Experience Unspent: 0Total Character Cost: 600

Height: 1.88 m Hair: Brown
Weight: 95.00 kg Eyes: Blue
Appearance: Atlas is 6'2", broad shouldered, and showing just a little grey in his hair. His costume is Blue and White, with a Red cape. His eyes glow blue when he flys or uses his other powers. He also leaves a sparkling blue trail when flying.Personality: Atlas is a true blue hero, willing to help those in need, without a thought for himself. Since the breaking of his back, he has gotten a little darker and edgier. He has also decided he needs to start working with others, instead of by himself.Quote:Praetorious, it is time for to face justice!Background: Adam Powers was born in 1948 and grew up in a small midwestern town. Growing up during the heighth of the space race, he loved to sit outside at night, watching the stars. This love of the stars made his carrer desicion easy for him, he decided to get a degree in aerospace engineering.

After graduating college, and before starting his new job, he took a vacation in his home town. Still in love with the stars, he was outside one night when a meteor struck nearby. He raced over to it, to find it had survived impact. Beleiving it to still be hot from re-entry, yet wanting to collect it, he took off his shirt and went to wrap the meteor up within it. As he picked it up, and started to look at it, it shattered into thousands of small slivers, peppering his face, chest, and arms.

His first thought was that he was seriously hurt, but the pain subsided quickly and he dismissed his first reaction as shock. He decided to head home to wash off the blood and dust. As he walked, he felt strange, everything seemed to be sharper, clearer. He also felt more energized, even with the cuts and abrasions from the meteor.

The next morning when his alarm went off, he crushed it without trying. He could tell that he had undergone some sort of change. He spent the next several days finding out just what he was capable of, and deciding what to do next.

By the time he had to pack and leave for his new job, he had decided to take it slow, and get comfortable with his new powers. Besides, he knew he needed to have an alternate identity before he tried anyhitng.

He had barely decided on a name and costume, when the company he ws working for was attacked by Dr. Praetorious, a scientific mastermind who wanted to control all scientific progress. Atlas (as Powers had decided to call himself) was able to stop him, but earned Praetorious' emnity for doing so.

Over the last 30+ years, he has fought many different villians, super and normal, with Dr. Praetorious his most frequent and greatest nemesis.

Very recently, Atlas got wind of another of Praetorious' plots. He tracked him down and confronted him. With Praetorious was some sort of Frankensteinian Monster. The creature intercepted Atlas' run at Praetorious, and during the fight grabbed Atlas around the waist and began to squeeze. Atlas could not break the creatures hold. Dr. Praetorious gloated that the creature had been specifically designed to beat him, and was much stronger than Atlas was.

The monster kept squeezing until a loud snap was heard. Atlas screamed and passed out. The creature, thinking Atls was dead, dropped him and left with Praetorious.

When Atlas regained conciousness, he couldn't move his legs. He could still fly, but he could no longer walk. He designed a brace for his back and legs that gave him enough support to stand and mimic walking.

Since then, he has been hunting for Praetorious, to stop him once and for all.

Powers/Tactics: Atlas gained his powers from an irradiated meteor. It gave him the ability to fly, as well as super strength and durability.

His standard approach is to attack straight on, knowing little can hurt him. But he is not as simple as he is made to appear. He has a degree in mathmatics and engineering, and is well versed in science. If the sinple approach doesnt work, he will take the time nessessary to work out a plan that will work.

Campaign Use: Dr. Praetorious does know Atlas' secret ID.

Re: Character for Comment: Atlas

Seems like a pretty cool character and I like the background. Personally, I would knock the Paraplegic limitationd down to Frequently, Greatly Impairing since the character can fly. It would be impending to him since he needs to keep up his secret ID, but not so much as a character without unassisted movement abilites.

I like the character pic...you do images like that for all of your characters?

I try, I used City of Heros to make the base, then used Paint (that's right) to add the cape. I can't describe a costume, but I can draw what my mind's eye sees.

Seems like a pretty cool character and I like the background. Personally' date=' I would knock the Paraplegic limitationd down to Frequently, Greatly Impairing since the character can fly. It would be impending to him since he needs to keep up his secret ID, but not so much as a character without unassisted movement abilites.[/quote']

pretty convincing arguement. Now to find 5 points of disads.

50 Radiation Eye Beams: EB 10d6, No Range Modifier (+1/2) (75 Active Points); Not when Blinded Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (-1/2)

Given the power level implied by Atlas' defenses and 90 STR, is 10d6 enough to be effective? 50 points is a pretty substantial investment if the result will be "I can hit at extreme ranges, but it never does any damage".

If you lost the "radiation vision", you could use the 50 points for (for example) a suite of enhanced senses, which would provide some utility in combat, and some out of combat benefits. Alternatively, you could make it a more exotic attack (a drain at range, perhaps, or a Flash) so it would generally have some impact on targets struck, as long as they don't have large exotic defenses, but that would change the nature of the attack somewhat.

Fun, high-powered character with a good history. I second lowering the value of the Paraplegic Disadvantage. I think it's worth even less than the other folks who mentioned it since if he has a special brace (a focus) which, when combined with his Flight, allows him to "mimic walking" as you wrote, then the Disadvantage is really, "Paraplegic: Cannot walk without special brace and use of Flight power," which is worth maybe 10 points.

I think that -1/2 for the Radiation Eye Beams not working if he's blinded is too much. Is he going to be blinded 1/3 of the time? And even when he is blinded, like most other characters he's going to have a hard time targeting anyway even without this Limitation. So it sounds more like -1/4 to me.

You might want to change the second slot of Flight by removing the Megascale and replacing it with +1/4 in Variable Advantages (+1/2); reduce the inches of Flight to compensate for the larger total Advantage value. This will allow Atlas to fly underwater when he needs to, yet he can still use Megascale to blast around the planet and can apply some other useful Advantages only as needed.

John H

I need to make the changes in Hero Designer, but. I'll reduced the value of the paraplegic. If you notice, his run speed is 1.

I should have made it clearer, that the brace allows him to "stand" ,"pose", and move his legs.. A simple per roll will allow you to notice he isn't actual quite touching the ground when he walks.

I'll have to change his radiation eye beam. I have to agree that the -1/2 is a little high. for "not when blinded"

I'm glad you all like his backstory. Anyone want to take a crack at writing up Dr. Praetorious? His arch-nemesis.

Re: Character for Comment: AtlasOkay I changes a few things. The Paraplegic is now ATT, Slight. And I changed the radiation Eye beams to an AVLD,Norange mod, EBI also added the skill inventor, as he does have some tech and science skills, as well as the fact he designed his own harness.AtlasPlayer:

Val Char Cost
90 STR 80
30 DEX 60
50 CON 80
15 BODY 10
13 INT 3
15 EGO 10
40 PRE 30
16 COM 3
45 PD 27
35 ED 25
6 SPD 20
30 REC 4
100 END 0
85 STUN 0
1" RUN-102" SWIM00" LEAP-18Characteristics Cost: 324
Cost Power END
22 Effortless Strength: Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) for up to 90 Active Points of Str (22 Active Points) 0
34 Dense Physical Mass: Damage Resistance (30 PD/25 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (34 Active Points) 0
48 Radiation Eye beams: EB 4d6, No Range Modifier (+1/2), AVLD: Power Def (+1 1/2) (60 Active Points); Limited Power: Not when Blinded Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (-1/4) 6
9 +3 PER with all Sense Groups 0
10 Massive Health: Power Defense (10 points) 0
10 Hard to Move: Knockback Resistance -5" 0
90 Radiant Flight: Multipower, 90-point reserve
9u 1) Standard Flight: Flight 25", Position Shift, x4 Noncombat, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (90 Active Points) 0
9u 2) Supersonic Flight: Flight 30", Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), MegaScale (1" = 1 km; +1/4) (90 Active Points) 3
Powers Cost: 241
Cost Skill
1 Bureaucratics 8-
3 Electronics 12-
3 KS: Air and Space craft 12-
3 Navigation 12-
1 Paramedics 8-
5 SS: Aerospace Engineering 14-
1 Teamwork 8-
3 SS: Physics 12-
2 SS: Astronomy 11-
2 SS: Mathmatics 11-
3 Computer Programming 12-
1 Systems Operation 8-
3 Inventor 12-
Skills Cost: 31
Cost Perk
2 Reputation (A medium-sized group) 11-, +2/+2d6
2 Fringe Benefit: International Driver's License, Passport
Perks Cost: 4
Val Disadvantages
15 Physical Limitation: Paraplegic, cannot walk (All the Time, Slightly Impairing)
5 Unluck: 1d6
25 Susceptibility: From Questionite Radiation, 3d6 damage per Phase (Uncommon)
15 Psychological Limitation: Hatred of Dr. Praetorious (Common, Strong)
15 Social Limitation: Secret ID (Frequently, Major)
20 Hunted: Dr. Praetorious 11- (As Pow, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish)
15 Psychological Limitation: Code vs Killing (Common, Strong)
20 Psychological Limitation: Code of the Hero (Very Common, Strong)
20 Hunted: Viper 11- (As Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)
Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 450Experience Required: 0Total Experience Available: 0Experience Unspent: 0Total Character Cost: 600

Height: 1.88 m Hair: Brown
Weight: 95.00 kg Eyes: Blue
Appearance: Atlas is 6'2", broad shouldered, and showing just a little grey in his hair. His costume is Blue and White, with a Red cape. His eyes glow blue when he flys or uses his other powers. He also leaves a sparkling blue trail when flying.Personality: Atlas is a true blue hero, willing to help those in need, without a thought for himself. Since the breaking of his back, he has gotten a little darker and edgier. He has also decided he needs to start working with others, instead of by himself.Quote:Praetorious, it is time for to face justice!Background: Adam Powers was born in 1948 and grew up in a small midwestern town. Growing up during the heighth of the space race, he loved to sit outside at night, watching the stars. This love of the stars made his carrer desicion easy for him, he decided to get a degree in aerospace engineering.

After graduating college, and before starting his new job, he took a vacation in his home town. Still in love with the stars, he was outside one night when a meteor struck nearby. He raced over to it, to find it had survived impact. Beleiving it to still be hot from re-entry, yet wanting to collect it, he took off his shirt and went to wrap the meteor up within it. As he picked it up, and started to look at it, it shattered into thousands of small slivers, peppering his face, chest, and arms.

His first thought was that he was seriously hurt, but the pain subsided quickly and he dismissed his first reaction as shock. He decided to head home to wash off the blood and dust. As he walked, he felt strange, everything seemed to be sharper, clearer. He also felt more energized, even with the cuts and abrasions from the meteor.

The next morning when his alarm went off, he crushed it without trying. He could tell that he had undergone some sort of change. He spent the next several days finding out just what he was capable of, and deciding what to do next.

By the time he had to pack and leave for his new job, he had decided to take it slow, and get comfortable with his new powers. Besides, he knew he needed to have an alternate identity before he tried anyhitng.

He had barely decided on a name and costume, when the company he ws working for was attacked by Dr. Praetorious, a scientific mastermind who wanted to control all scientific progress. Atlas (as Powers had decided to call himself) was able to stop him, but earned Praetorious' emnity for doing so.

Over the last 30+ years, he has fought many different villians, super and normal, with Dr. Praetorious his most frequent and greatest nemesis.

Very recently, Atlas got wind of another of Praetorious' plots. He tracked him down and confronted him. With Praetorious was some sort of Frankensteinian Monster. The creature intercepted Atlas' run at Praetorious, and during the fight grabbed Atlas around the waist and began to squeeze. Atlas could not break the creatures hold. Dr. Praetorious gloated that the creature had been specifically designed to beat him, and was much stronger than Atlas was.

The monster kept squeezing until a loud snap was heard. Atlas screamed and passed out. The creature, thinking Atls was dead, dropped him and left with Praetorious.

When Atlas regained conciousness, he couldn't move his legs. He could still fly, but he could no longer walk. He designed a brace for his back and legs that gave him enough support to stand and mimic walking.

Since then, he has been hunting for Praetorious, to stop him once and for all.

Powers/Tactics: Atlas gained his powers from an irradiated meteor. It gave him the ability to fly, as well as super strength and durability.

His standard approach is to attack straight on, knowing little can hurt him. But he is not as simple as he is made to appear. He has a degree in mathmatics and engineering, and is well versed in science. If the sinple approach doesnt work, he will take the time nessessary to work out a plan that will work.

Campaign Use: Dr. Praetorious does know Atlas' secret ID.

You plagerized my character before I wrote him up!

:hex:

Actually mine is a silver age extrapolation of the Atlas from Golden Age Champions. I probably shouldn't post him since GAC is still coming out and the original could be in it.

rest assured he's a "BIG GUN".