Multi-Attack

Tywyll

I'm extremely confused by Multi-Attack. I know there are a bunch of clarifications in the Faq about it, but I was wondering if I could get some examples to help me understand when it should be used/what it represents, especially in FH. I mean, could you use the rules to launch a spell and a melee attack at the same target? Any info would be helpful. Thanks!

Re: Multi-Attack

I'm extremely confused by Multi-Attack. I know there are a bunch of clarifications in the Faq about it' date=' but I was wondering if I could get some examples to help me understand when it should be used/what it represents, especially in FH. I mean, could you use the rules to launch a spell and a melee attack at the same target? Any info would be helpful. Thanks![/quote']

That depends quite a bit on how your rules for magic are set up. If you've got spells that don't require the use of your hands, concentration, extra time or some similar limitation, I see no logical reason why a mage wouldn't be able to swing his staff while firing off a psychic head-butt (Ego Attack) at the same time.

As for non-power multiple attacks, I believe the general ruling is that you can't use two maneuvers with the same basis at the same time. So, a strike-strike combo would be out. However, a strike-throw combo should work (for example: the Judo/Jujitsu technique osoto gari can be delivered with a punch or forearm blow [using the right-hand in the diagram]).

Multiple power attacks must use the same type of roll to hit (no ego blast combined with sword) and must all target the same person. I don't recall whether an HTH (sword) and ranged attack could be multiple powered against the same target who is in HTH range.

FH also suggests that the Spell limitation prohibit multiple power attacks, so that many magic systems (including virtually all spells in the Grimoires as written) preclude use of spells in MPA's.

As for non-power multiple attacks' date=' I believe the general ruling is that you can't use two maneuvers with the same basis at the same time. So, a strike-strike combo would be out. However, a strike-throw combo should work (for example: the Judo/Jujitsu technique osoto gari can be delivered with a punch or forearm blow [using the right-hand in the diagram]).

I don't think this is quite correct. I believe that a Strike-Strike combo could be MPAed if it was defined as Punch, Kick. The whole MPA thing seems perfect for MAs. The limiting rules seemed, to me, to be geared more towards dual EBs. But that's just me.

I don't think this is quite correct. I believe that a Strike-Strike combo could be MPAed if it was defined as Punch' date=' Kick. The whole MPA thing seems perfect for MAs. The limiting rules seemed, to me, to be geared more towards dual EBs. But that's just me.[/quote']

From the Combat and Adventuring FAQ:

Q: What is the definition of an Attack Power for purposes of not using “the same Power to attack more than once per Phase?†The example of Martial Disarm and Legsweep being combined in a multiple-Power attack suggests that STR is not considered a single Power for this purpose. If this is the case, is any individually named Maneuver based on STR considered a separate Power for multiple-Power attacks?

A: Maneuvers based on STR count as separate Powers provided their effects are reasonably distinguishable. A Maneuver that causes damage (such as Legsweep) is reasonably distinguishable from one using the Exert basis (such as Martial Disarm) in most instances. Two Maneuvers that simply cause damage (Strike and Martial Strike, for example) generally are not, but the GM should make that call based on the characters, the situation, and other such factors.

If you want to hit a single target multiple times with the same, or two similar, damage-causing Maneuvers or attacks (like Martial Strike and Defensive Strike), usually you should pick one of the maneuvers and use a Sweep (or Rapid Fire, if Ranged attacks are involved). Multiple-Power attacks work best when you combine two different forms of attack to generate an interesting effect, not when you just lump two damaging powers together to cause more damage.

So, in order to do a Punch/Kick (Martial Strike/Offensive Strike) combo, you'd actually have to Sweep, by my reading of the above.

Multiple power attacks must use the same type of roll to hit (no ego blast combined with sword) and must all target the same person. I don't recall whether an HTH (sword) and ranged attack could be multiple powered against the same target who is in HTH range.

Oops. That's what I get for not having my book with me to fact-check myself before posting. I completely forgot about the single attack roll all-or-nothing thing, which would neccessitate they be the same type of attack roll.

Shame on me. :doi:

From the Combat and Adventuring FAQ:

So, in order to do a Punch/Kick (Martial Strike/Offensive Strike) combo, you'd actually have to Sweep, by my reading of the above.

Actually it turns out we are both right. "Generally, no...[dramatic sense, license and advancement of the plot]." Steve's standard response! :)