Firefly HERO Website Up

jackalope

Re: Firefly HERO Website Up

BTW - I think he spells his name Nysska (but will have to check fireflyfans.net to be sure)

The whole series is very quotable (and I do wonder if the Reavers were inspired by Event Horizon now and then)

I can't write my favourite quotes, because it would be most of the scripts of the entire series. My favourite episode for them though, would definitely be Our Mrs Reynolds.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's one thing I couldn't get about the reavers: Why'd they leave the bodies? Don't they need the skins and meat? I mean, Mal said they don't bother attacking if they're "not hungry", so wouldn't that mean they stored some? I guess the reavers just aren't supposed to make sense.

There's one thing I couldn't get about the reavers: Why'd they leave the bodies? Don't they need the skins and meat? I mean' date=' Mal said they don't bother attacking if they're "not hungry", so wouldn't that mean they stored some? I guess the reavers just aren't supposed to make sense.[/quote']That depends on what they want to accomplish. If it is to eat, you have a point. (But then, humans fight back. There should be other forms of protein out there.) If it is to scare the rest of humanity out of staying the heck out of their space... well, stringing the mutilated corpses up is a great calling card.

That depends on what they want to accomplish. If it is to eat' date=' you have a point. (But then, humans fight back. There should be other forms of protein out there.) If it is to scare the rest of humanity out of staying the heck out of their space... well, stringing the mutilated corpses up is a great calling card.[/quote']

Interesting Points. At the same time, I think the Reavers would want Ships to enter their space. More lunch. And they've been been observed expanding their territories recently, for that very reason.

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice site. I've been tinkering with Unknown Armies for a Firefly game (the mechanics actually may work for the genre better than Hero). It also looks like we may have some nice source material in the future.

http://www.ogrecave.com/archives/004056.shtml

We can only hope Serenity burns up the box office.

Yeah, it's a sweet conversion, but I'm going to have to agree that Unknown Armies looks like it would feel better than HERO for this genre... Especially since there are so many great examples of Self/Violence/Isolation etc. checks being made in the show... Firefly needs a way for characters to break down... I'll explain what I mean below... but....

****WARNING****SPOILERS****

***WATCH FIREFLY BEFORE READING****

***HELL, JUST BUY THE DVDS ALREADY****

****BEGIN****SPOILERS****

Now that that's out of the way...

HERO doesn't deal very well with the unusual intruding onto daily life. As we saw in the series, the average person is NOT a spacefaring smuggler/lunatic/outlaw. Also, the genre lends itself to epic character shattering revelations and personalities on the brink of madness.

In the pilot (Serenity), Mal clearly fails a Helplessness check as he realizes that he has just been told to surrender, and his Thrilling Heroics have been for nothing.

In the assault on Nishka's hideout (War Stories), Kaylee fails a Violence check and cowers behind a bulkhead. Later, after River does her thing, she fails a check against the Unnatural... not a good day for Kaylee!

Wash, (in the same episode) however, is much luckier... he makes a helplessness and a self check with Mal's help (Mal has some hardened notches in helplessness, so he's less phased by bleak situations, after all, he lost everything already... what's one more time?).

***END SPOILERS***

****WATCH FIREFLY ALREADY****

I'm not saying that madness and other stresses manifesting can't be RPed out with a group of stellar rpers, but I like to keep track of them AND when you're playing with a mixed group of good and mediocre rpers, it facilitates things a bit. Some people just don't think about their character's reaction in extenuating circumstances. You may not have Claustrophobia as a psych disad, but spending a day in a powered-down ship with no lights will do things to your mind...

Also... reavers are insane... that's all I plan on developing them! I doubt you'd want PCs running up against the reaver people at all, unless you're prepared for a quick and ignoble end to the campaign. Reavers are plot devices, leaving torn up ships, devastated colonies, dark and brooding pasts, and narrow escapes in their wake...

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting Points. At the same time' date=' I think the Reavers would want Ships to enter their space. More lunch. And they've been been observed expanding their territories recently, for that very reason.[/quote'] I think you are assuming the Reavers desire contact with the rest of the human race. Which does not make much sense to me. If you want ships in your space, attacking them, killing the crews, ripping their skins off and leaving the corpses is NOT going to garner more visitors. If they wanted ships in their space, they would be a lot more friendly, I suspect. At the very least, far more circumspect about their dietary habits (if that is what it is) than they have been. Even if they wanted the crews as food, leaving the corpses behind is really bad advertising.

The only reason for leaving the bodies is as a message of some kind to others. A warning to be left alone, to stay out, etc. They may be expanding their territory (maybe something out there is scaring them?) but they seem to be doing the same stuff to those they find.