Firefly HERO Website Up

jackalope

Re: Firefly HERO Website Up

Very nice writeups indeed! I can't wait to see more of it, especially the vehicle writeup for the Serenity itself. (Hint, hint.)

Maybe when the movie comes out my player's will let me run something based on it...

THERE'S GOING TO BE A FIREFLY MOVIE?

*franticly checks Internet Movie Database

Boo Yeah! phydaux is HAPPY!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very Shiny!

Can't add much to the praise. Nice layout, great graphics.

The only, minor nit, is that there are 10 characters in Firefly, not 9. Serenity herself has been referred to as the 10th character. (But with the debate about whether Firefly is one solar system or many, that can be difficult to write up at this time.)

Yes, Firefly, the movie coming out in April. Principle photography has already been completed. Hopefully some network suit will see it and think "Hmm.. that would make a great weekly television show."

Well' date=' she does have Conversation on an 8- as an Everyman Skill, and the +6 Overall levels. The GM can choose to give her the bonus for a roll of 14-, which is pretty good. That sounds like the effect you are describing.[/quote']

hehe.. I really should shut up now. :)

But, I was also thinking along the lines of maybe an SS: Human Psychology combined with Deduction. I think that would work well to.

The only' date=' minor nit, is that there are 10 characters in Firefly, not 9. Serenity herself has been referred to as the 10th character. (But with the debate about whether Firefly is one solar system or many, that can be difficult to write up at this time.)[/quote']

I will be doing Serenity very soon, and she will have FTL and be able to travel from solar system to solar system.

Because one of the stated facts in the show is that there are about 70 colonized worlds, and that's just too many for single star system, even if some of them are moons.

There is also a couple of 200mb files that people might want to download over at http://www.fireflyfans.net

It's inteview with cast & Joss at the Comicon convention during the filming of Serenity. Almost a panel discussion (although Joss dominated).

Hmm, re-looking at that site, they've cut the video up into smaller bits and mirrored it. The direct link is-

http://www.fireflyfans.net/feature.asp?f=61

I will be doing Serenity very soon, and she will have FTL and be able to travel from solar system to solar system.

Because one of the stated facts in the show is that there are about 70 colonized worlds, and that's just too many for single star system, even if some of them are moons.

I agree, however there is still debate on that point. If you factor in gravitational technology, which would be required for a number of worlds, to make them habitable, (be able to hang on to its air) then maybe not.

BUT, if you have gravitational technology, then FTL is probably available as well.

And throughout the show they refer to "the core systems".

The main reason there is so much lowtech and frontier style locations in Firefly is because they spend most of their time in the outer colonies on the fringe - areas that are no longer actively being colonised by major corps or governments.

The main reason there is so much lowtech and frontier style locations in Firefly is because they spend most of their time in the outer colonies on the fringe - areas that are no longer actively being colonised by major corps or governments.

Absolutely. A pair of horses can make more horses, while two tractors just sit there and wear out. Horses can also eat grass, while tractors require an extensive native petroleum industry. Unless the farmers are rich enough to import their gasoline from another planet. :rolleyes:

Firefly does have an interesting set-up from Mal's standpoint. Travel too close to the core and you might run afoul of the Feds. Travel too far from the core and the Ravers might eat you. Always dancing between the devil and the deep blue sea...

Xenovores are very similar to the Reavers. But not as disturbing...

Actually, the Reavers remind me a bit of the enemy in Thirteenth Warrior.

But, they are rare - they have to be rare, they're a self-destructive culture (as well as destructive).

The main problem with the fringe that Mal has - is lack of good trade. Very little transport/smuggling jobs would give him a profit. He's virtually living at subsistance level. The best money was made in the Core (in the Ariel episode)

Absolutely. A pair of horses can make more horses, while two tractors just sit there and wear out. Horses can also eat grass, while tractors require an extensive native petroleum industry. Unless the farmers are rich enough to import their gasoline from another planet. :rolleyes:

Bingo, its all about infrastructure. We seem to forget that our modern every day world has a large amount of infrastructure, roads, gas stations, petrolieum refining, etc. Infrastructure that takes time to build. The outlying colonies simply have not had enough time to develop, (And probably not enough funds or other resourses as well.)

Bingo' date=' its all about infrastructure. We seem to forget that our modern every day world has a large amount of infrastructure, roads, gas stations, petrolieum refining, etc. Infrastructure that takes time to build. The outlying colonies simply have not had enough time to develop, (And probably not enough funds or other resourses as well.)[/quote']

In either THE BEAST MASTER or LORD OF THUNDER by Andre Norton, there is a Terran colony on the planet of the Norbies, who are aliens with a primitive culture similar to Native Americans.

The terrans use horses and similar equipment suitable for the local infrastructure.

One day, some spoiled son of a rich father gets lost in the wilderness. Wealthy old Dad sends in all the expensive equipment. The hero and a group of Norbies stare bemused at the helicopter-dropped survival shelter, with built in showers, air-conditioning, and TV sets.

The lead Norbie uses hand-talk and asks "This would be good for Norbies, Yes?" But the hero opens an access door, exposes the maze of complicated circuitry, and point out that if just one of these wires breaks, the entire shelter is worthless, and one would need to send off-world for a repairman capable of fixing it.

I love that scene in the Firefly episode "Heart of Gold" where the rich bad guy has a team of thugs riding horses and packing six-guns, while the bad guy has a fancy hovercraft and laser pistol from off-world.

We do it today - rich people not only own expensive things (my guess is they're worried about every aspect of their character that they need all the confidence they can get) - but they also own things that require a high income to maintain.

It's a form of status that is shallow and meaningless - like celebrity-hood. Or reality shows.

15 minutes of fame, for no actual relevant reason, and no way to maintain it without support.

Okay, done ranting now :)

We do it today - rich people not only own expensive things (my guess is they're worried about every aspect of their character that they need all the confidence they can get) - but they also own things that require a high income to maintain.

It's a form of status that is shallow and meaningless - like celebrity-hood. Or reality shows.

15 minutes of fame, for no actual relevant reason, and no way to maintain it without support.

Okay, done ranting now :)

As long as its their own money, who cares?

But it does point to the function that rich folk have in a free market society. New products come with risks. They also come with higher costs, because of the risks, but also because of the design and research aspects that go into production.

So we let rich folks snap them up, test them, find out which ones work and which don't. The products that are bought, those companies are able to expand and achieve economies of scale, with larger plants and operations. The products that fail, well, they fail.

Before long, prices for those products come down. It used to be that you needed a lot of money for a computer. Or a flat screen TV. But because rich folks bought them when they were expensive, prices today are a lot less.

So it may be vapid, shallow and materialistic, but that does not mean its a bad thing :D

Hmmm. Initial thoughts

1. Jayne and Mal have Gambling: pool. Book, Jayne, and Simon have Gambling: Tall Card (the firefly version of poker)

2. Jayne, Mal and Zoe are the principal fighters on Serenity, but they each have a different role to play, or at least a different prefered style. Jayne concentrates on using the larger rifles, and likes to take the place of a sniper (in the top floor during "Heart of Gold", From a High Hill in "Serenity", suspended from serenity by a harness in, um, the one where Simon is kidnapped). Jayne needs PSL's to OCV vs. Range. Granted, the rifles themselves might have some psl's attached, but this is his specialty.

Zoe concentrates on stealth. She kept objecting to mal when he told her they were both going into the valley in "serenity" into a probable ambush, because it really wasn't her style. In "the message" (or was it called "the package?"), Zoe said "first rule of combat: never let the enemy know where you are", after sneaking up behind a guy and slitting his throat. Then, just to contrast, Mal ran past spreading fire and Screaming "You want me? you know you do! Come get some more of this!" Zoe needs a lot more than 8- stealth

Mal loves to surprise people. Pushing a guy into the engine intake? capping the informant holding River hostage after suddenly boarding the ship? He does it so often, he may get an extra ocv bonus, only to stack onto surprise modifiers.

3. Give Mal the psych lim: hatred of slavers. Once he found out the guy's in the bar got their money slaving, he just had to pick their pockets. He started ranting at Simon when he first saw River, just because he thought it was some kind of captive/slave/hoar thing. in "our Mrs reynolds", he was appaled at the idea of Saffron being sold to him like cattle. oh, and his "never abandon's crew" is only moderate, or maybe strong. Granted, he doesn't break it, but he temporarily did when simon was captured, just because it wasn't pragmatic to let book die so he could fulfill his limitation. If it were total, he would do irrational things just to fulfil it.

Oh' date=' do you plan on making writeups for the main villians? I'd love to see Jubal Early show up, since we know he didn't die when he was set adrift. :eg:[/quote']

Those were some great observations, and yes I do plan to do Jubal Early, "Saffron", and Nitska.

It was actually watching "objects in Space" and seeing Early that convinced me to do this project. It's going to be slow-going for the next month though, holidays and all.

• 2 weeks later...

Simon: "So what happens if they board us?"

Zoe: "If they take the ship, they'll rape us to death, eat our flesh, and sew our skin into their clothing. And if we're very, very lucky, they'll do it in that order."

God I love that show. If you haven't seen the unaired episodes, go out and buy / rent / borrow (steal?) the DVD right now.