Another Steampunk Fantasy

tkdguy

I got this idea watching Full Metal Alchemist. Basically, it's a world similar to the late 19th/early 20th century. The difference is that there are anachronisms. For example, engineers can craft fully functional metallic limbs to replace destroyed natural limbs. Other details will be worked out.

The difference, of course, is that alchemy is a real "science." It actually seems more like magic, since alchemists can change an object's molecular structure so that it turns into another substance altogether. The catch is that in order to get something, something else of equal value must be sacrificed. Alchemy cannot be used to resurrect a dead life form.

I was thinking of adding spiritualism into the mix, so that there would be clerics of some sort. Resurrection would also be taboo, but there would be healing spells, blessings, and exorcisms.

Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

Re: Another Steampunk Fantasy

You could break down alchemists into subtypes-

Chymists (to borrow from Perdido Street Station) - potion creation, herbalism

Biothaumaturge - body manipulation, grafting, mutation, life creation

Physik - medicine, healing

Artificer - constructs, magic engines (usually clockwork powered spells), theumaturgical implants

And if you have spritualism, I'd make categories of that too-

Theology - clerical, church

Spiritualism - occult, mediums, fortune tellers

Because it was so big in the Victorian age...

Re: Another Steampunk Fantasy

I should have mentioned Arcanum - although it's been awhile since I played that computer game.

There are MANY web resources for Victoriana.

Plus, I also recommend my Steam Tank paper model :)

http://www.paperworlds.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=UpDownload&file=index&req=viewsdownload&sid=84&min=10&orderby=titleA&show=10

Well, one thing to keep in mind is that the "real" alchemists weren't out to discover new chemicals or reactions. They were trying to find a way to "ennoble" base materials, so they could apply the same process to themselves. It was a means of spiritual advancement, with the primary goal being immortality, of course.

Turning base metals into gold was considered a happy byproduct of alchemical studies -- but the only way to get rich nobles to fund your important work.

Alchemists had quite complex theories of how things worked, often based on analogy and similarity to other observed phenomena, and incorporating many details of what we would call astrology and other mystical belief systems.

Among other things, there were 6 to 12 processes that alchemy used (depending on your source) -- calcination, dissolution, separation, and some others. You can probably google them up from websites like this one or this one. In theory, if you take base materials through all these processes, you end up with a noble material (e.g., lead --> gold). Apply the same to yourself, and you end up immortal.

These processes are the basis for many modern chemical processes. I have to do extractions ("separation") pretty often at work.

Much of the writings of alchemists are couched in obscure terminology -- the better to keep the uneducated from dangerous knowledge. Thus you'll have references to the "Red Lion" or the "Green Lion devouring the sun". A proper alchemist, of course, will be assumed to understand what you're talking about.

Two of the alchemical "authorities" were Hermes Trismegistus (probably mythical author of the Emerald Tablet), and Paracelcus. There were a few other authoral alchemists from the Middle East, but I'm blanking on names.

The Emerald Tablet is certainly a good place to look for in-game flavor. Among other pithy sayings, it is the source of "As above, so below; as below, so above. To accomplish the wonder of the one thing." (note: paraphrased from memory).

Some alchemical terms to pepper into your game:

vitriol: might have been greenish, crystalline metal sulfate salts (iron sulfate? copper sulfate? who knows).

azoth: the "Universal Antidote."

alkahest: the "Universal Solvent", also called the Lesser Work. You don't finish this until you're ready to use it -- when you combine the two parts, it dissolves anything. So you can't store it in anything...

Elixir Vitae: the Great Work, by which you gain immortality. Probably not an actual drink, but representative of the enlightenment brought through study of alchemy.

Occasional mutterings by alchemists of the "fixed mercury" or "alchemical salts" and you'll be gold.

edit: GAH! Some yabbo put the Alpha Chi Sigma pledge manual online! Sheesh, so much for fraternity secrets...

But, since it's online: AXE Pledge Manual -- it's a great source for oddball alchemy flavor. (I'd forgotten the Jabberwocky connection...)

Also a good place to steal alchemical symbols from. Like I said, most alchemical works were abundantly obscure, with everything either talked about by oblique names or through obscure symbols.

So your in-world alchemists are likely to be a clannish, closed society, jealously guarding their secrets. Outsiders would read through their notes and not know if they refer to about the element of Air or to dragonewts.

edit2: Geber! was the name of that Arabic alchemist.

wow. this is a long post.