Variable Change Environment

Captain Obvious

I'm swiping a power from 3rd Ed Ravenloft Hags, where at higher levels of power, their very presence warps the natural order around them. It might snow in the summer, flowers bloom in the winter, etc. If it were simply a matter of changing temperature, I'd just set it up as Change Environment with the temperature alteration adder and Variable Special Effect, but since it's within the scope of the power to have ice (Change Environment's Movement Drain adder) or wind (CE's Telekinesis adder), it's a little more of a grey area.

Should I just buy a pool of points to pick up whatever appropriate adder and throw in Variable SFX, buy Variable Advantage at a level big enough to pick up the potential adders, or something else? Just scoping around for opinions on the best way to work this. It's supposed to be a relatively minor "flavor" power, and not really under the hag's control, and conceivably it could be as much a liability as an asset for her, so I don't want to go a very expensive route with this.

Also, if I'm being a total dunce, and this already handled in the FAQ, could someone please just let me know that, and maybe tell me where to look?

Re: Variable Change Environment

Hmm... from your description, it sounds as though the effects of this power are primarily to reverse or create what's atypical for the environment that the hag finds herself in. IMO that would be well within the parameters for the +1 Advantage to Change Environment to include a Broad Group of effects. It would seem to be appropriate to buy it to 0 END and Persistent, and maybe Inherent if you don't want it to be countered by any of the usual magical means. You could also go with Invisible Power Effects if you don't want it to be obvious that the effect is the result of the hag's presence - you could use half the normal Advantage to just hide the source of the CE, but not its effects.

That construct would be relatively expensive in Active Points, but some Limitations suggest themselves immediately: No Range if the effect is centered around the hag, Always On since your comments imply that that's the case, No Conscious Control since the hag doesn't determine the specific effect of the Power - at least at the -1 level.

I hope that helps. :)

You've got the idea, LL, but I suppose my question is more specific to the adders. Does the +1 Broad Group of Effects allow you to switch out the adders on the power? Could I, for example, go from cold temperatures (-3 Temperature Levels at 3 points each) to blustery winds (2 STR TK at 5 points each) with just this Advantage?

This seems like the way to do it to me, but then again, something just doesn't seem quite right about it either...

I don't think the Variable Advantage or Variable SFX is needed (at least not at full price) since the hag has no control over what the effects are. If the effect is always opposite to the current season, it doesn't really vary at all. Perhaps apply No Conscious Control to the Variable part.