Hero Product reviews

Guest Dr.Unpossible

Guest Dr.Unpossible

I have been trolling though all the forums here lookin for threads on our (the board members) reviews of the HERO products, but seem to be well...missing them. I would like to re-read what ya'll have had to say about the fine publications from DOJ.

Mainly just like hearing what other peeps think of the products I already own, or plan on buying. If you come across any of the various UMA,UMV,CU,SH,This,That>Theotherthing review. Pleast post the thread EARL's here for Doc and the Mystery men to review.

Guest Dr.Unpossible

Holy schmoly, are you a Vulcan er sumthing? EARL was a joke poindexter.

Like "Before you know it you'll be surfing the weeb"

Dr.Unpossible's secret Identity is working as a Shift Supervisor in an Internet Technical Support Dept. That reminds me of a story I heard once. Where a guy made a webpage called "My Homage to the video game Contra" . The creator of aformentioned website got an email from someone out there in the weeb saying . "I dunno where you learned to write college grad, but try adding a P to your title, its spelled Homepage, not Homage"

/sigh

It might be seen as tooting their own horn, but a feature like Amazon has that lets people review books online would be nice (a little link off the product with a read what people say about it). That way if there is a product you want you could see what others thought, of course since we are so critical of Hero products, it might not be that useful, it also would likely stir up the we hate HERO because they are full of themselves people on another unnamed RPG site. :P

As for my opinions if they offered such a link -

5th Ed - great, enough new material to make it worth getting even if you have 4th ed. Plus you can throw it in the dryer if the mood strikes you (but you might need a new dryer afterwards), try that with your copy of 4th ed.

Ultimate Martial Artist - great, good variety of martial arts styles (who'd guess that), most could be reproduced using the 5th ed alone but why do all that work when it is already done for you.

Beastiary - I'd say this is a necessity unless you are a member of PETA and don't think animals should be objectified as stats in a RPG. Covers tons of normal animals and quite a few fictional critters as well. Also gives rules for creating animals.

Champions - Well done if you like that sort of thing. I'm not heavy into spandex but I've found the book to have enough ideas for non supers games to make it worth the money I spent.

StarHERO - Awesome, extremely well done, I'd even recommend it to people who don't play HERO as a resource for Sci-fi games.

The Ultimate Vehicle - Another very well done resource, I have many plans for this. It follows a simple what does the vehicle do, that looks about right format, rather than the complicated math frenzy of GURPS Vehicles. GURPS Vehicles or BTRC's Vehicle Design System would compliment it nicely however.

Ninja HERO - Another well written book, I'm not a big fan of this genre either but reading through the book put me in the mood to try one.

Guest Dr.Unpossible

If I'm a proud owner of the Original "Ultimate Martial Artist" is it worth buying the new UMA?

I mean I'm a rabid collector, but If it's mostly a reprint of that "fine" Martial Arts book of a few years ago, I may move it down a few pegs on my "to buy" HERO products list.

Originally posted by Dr.Unpossible

If I'm a proud owner of the Original "Ultimate Martial Artist" is it worth buying the new UMA?

I mean I'm a rabid collector, but If it's mostly a reprint of that "fine" Martial Arts book of a few years ago, I may move it down a few pegs on my "to buy" HERO products list.

I have the original UMA also. Since certain things have been changed since 5th ed came around, so have certain attacks, such as the eye gouge which temporarily blinded your opponent. Flash has changed so it had to be updated. If I'm not mistaken, I believe there are new manuevers you can purchase. The choice is up to you but since you mentioned you're a 'rabid collector', my suggestion is 'Sure, buy it.' Otherwise, not much has changed although the cover is quite a terrific work of art

Who you calling Poindexter? Besides, humor has no place on these boards, Smacky! :|

Seriously though, the new UMA is a quality product, although the organization of information always baffles me when I flip through it. I have old Ninja HERO, and a lot of the material is still pretty much the same, but it has plenty of cool new stuff as well.

As far as the new Ninja HERO, I bought it, but only because I buy everything HEROs puts out to support the company and encourage the local game store to continue stocking HEROs products. I actually just glanced through it, so I cant comment on it.

Same with Star HERO and Terran Empire, actually, although a cursory pass thru of both was very interesting and they seem like excellent products.

I was dissapointed with Champions on first examination (its very lowest-common denominator) but on further appraisal Ive actually come to like it very much (its very thorough). I hadnt realized how much of the Supers genre I take for granted is foreign to many players. Its proved to be a fabulous resource.

Champions Universe is pretty good, CKC is excellent, and Millenium City is really cool.

Im not terribly fond of the Bestiary; the art particularly is a real turn off. When I get around to doing a Fantasy campaign in 5th ed Im sure it will come in handy, but currently it doesnt see much use.

The Ultimate Vehicle is really really cool. Its saved me a LOT of time already. The Motorcycle and Armored Car entries in particular have seen many permutations. I like the minimalist approach it takes to vehicles; its much easier to use than some other Vehicle books write ups Ive seen in other systems.

Originally posted by Killer Shrike

The Ultimate Vehicle is really really cool. Its saved me a LOT of time already. The Motorcycle and Armored Car entries in particular have seen many permutations. I like the minimalist approach it takes to vehicles; its much easier to use than some other Vehicle books write ups Ive seen in other systems.

Minimalism totally rocks! ;)

Seriously, thanks for the good words. I like approaching most things with the ever-lovin' KISS approach (Keep It Simple Stupid). If you want to add things after that, then by all means do so.... :D

Originally posted by BobGreenwade

Minimalism totally rocks! ;)

Seriously, thanks for the good words. I like approaching most things with the ever-lovin' KISS approach (Keep It Simple Stupid). If you want to add things after that, then by all means do so.... :D

Hey Bob; I still remember your works from Haymaker so it was cool to see you get an official product in print, but I assure you auld lang syne did not predispose me to give a good review. ;) It really is a great product.

:)

Hey Bob; I still remember your works from Haymaker so it was cool to see you get an official product in print, but I assure you auld lang syne did not predispose me to give a good review. ;) It really is a great product.

No such charity was assumed. (Nor would it be appreciated -- if something I do sucks, I darn well want to hear about it! Especially if the criticism is accompanied by helpful suggestions for future endeavors.)

As far as the new Ninja HERO, I bought it, but only because I buy everything HEROs puts out to support the company and encourage the local game store to continue stocking HEROs products. I actually just glanced through it, so I cant comment on it.

C'mon... read it! What can it hurt? Who knows, you might like it!

Guest Dr.Unpossible

That reminds me of another thing. Re-Reading all my old Hero books I see this name and that name. And I wonder, is the last feller on the msgbrd that I argued "NO This is the way you do this or that!" one of the old HERO authors in a new guise =)