HRRH: Can't quite wrap my head around...

lensman

Ok, I am about to school some youngin's about how to build a proper radio setup in Champions. In trying to do so I have now somehow raised more questions i my own mind.

So I need a second or third or... opinions

First: Why is it that If I transmit over HRRH my fellow Heroes have to make Radio PER rolls, with range mods, to hear me? If they don't, why not?

PER rolls, not to pick up my freq., but just to hear my message.

What about cross town?

Given the above, what about Mega-Scale? do I buy that adv. to reflect how big my transmitter is? ie. the distance I can transmit without the -'s due to range mods?

In what, if any case, does one apply range mods to Radio Group?

Like one does for hearing or Sight or presumably smell.

Assume I am interested in reflecting some real world modeling.

having looked up Telescopic, applying +20 means _0 range mods in the first

approx. 5.1 miles (8.2 km) -2 out to 10 miles etc.

Re: HRRH: Can't quite wrap my head around...

I'd give radio perception penalties for a lot of things: being underground on in a basement; being enclosed by metal (check your cell phone signal the next time you're in an elevator); being around radioactive elements (i.e., nuclear power plants, the funky engine core of your Batplane, etc.); being blocked by things that block radioactive elements (cuz they block radio waves too); being near other, large transmitters that might cause interference with the signal, i.e., radio towers, electrical lines, etc.; geography, being deep in a valley or underwater; and, as you've already run across with the range penalties, exteme distance from the source.

If these radios are Foci, you might also give them penalties to literally hear the words from the foci, based on the ambient noise of the area. It's hard to hear your earpiece when you're flying at 5,000 mph over the Atlantic in a thunderstorm. :)

I'm not sure where you're getting that information from. It does not say that in my book anywhere. Not under the sense or in the senses section of the book. The book says nothing about range mods to use HRRH or radio transmit/receive.

As far as what case to put range mods on a radio group sense, well if you use radar you would have standard range penalties.

I handwave that for the most part. Since radios are in essence a special effect for a Power, I have penalties applied in circumstances where real radios would have trouble pretty much the way Logomancer described. Of course, bad guys can use radio jamming and listening technology too. Radios that cost more points (bought with Advantages or as HRRP rather than just Radio Perception, etc.) will be generally less prone to problems.

Our team has just switched over to Hyperspace Communicators (Mind Link w/Extended Range, IIF), so I anticipate fewer problems with our team's communications in the future. :)