Character for Review: Amber the owl

Mark Rand

In my IST San Angelo campaign, Lady Arcane has replaced Warder as the team's mage. Her familiar, Amber, is a western screech owl. Here she is.

Name: Amber (Lady Arcane's familiar)

Alternate IDs:

Player: GM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Val Char Roll Notes

-10 STR 7- HTH Damage -2d6 END [0]

16 DEX 12- OCV 5 DCV 5

8 CON 11-

5 BODY 10-

8 INT 11- Perception Roll: 11- / 16-

5 EGO 10- Base ECV: 2

13 PRE 12- Base Presence Attack: 2 1/2d6

10 COM 11-

3 PD

3 ED

3 SPD

3 REC Run: 1"

16 END Swim: 0"

16 STUN Leap: 0"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disadvantages Pts

Physical Limitation: Animal Intelligence, Frequently, Greatly Impairing 15

Physical Limitation: Diminutive, (up to about .6m; +6" KB), Frequently, Slightly Impairing 10

Physical Limitation: Very Limited Manipulation, Frequently, Greatly Impairing 15

Psychological Limitation: Loyal to Lady Arcane, Common, Total 20

XP

Base : 75

Disads : +60

XP Spent : +29

Total = 164

-20 : Characteristics Cost

144 + Powers Cost

40 + Martial Arts/Skills/Perks/Talents Cost

164 = Total Cost

Pts. Power/Skill/Perk/Talent END

Powers

12 Talons: HKA 1d6 (plus STR) (vs. PD) (15 Active Points); Reduced Penetration (-1/4) 1

5 Beak: HKA 0 d6 +1 (plus STR) (vs. PD) 1

30 Wings: Flight 18", Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4) (45 Active Points); Restrainable (-1/2) 2

0 Short Legs: Running -5" (already figured in)

0 No Swimming: Swimming -2" (already figured in)

5 Owl Eyes: Nightvision

6 Owl Eyes: Enhanced Perception (+3 to PER Rolls for Sight Group)

8 Owl Eyes: Telescopic +8 to PER Rolls (only to offset the Range Modifier) (Normal Sight)

4 Owl Ears: Enhanced Perception (+2 to PER Rolls for Hearing Group)

FAMILIAR

10 1) Magical Communication: Mind Link (One Specific Mind (Lady Arcane); Psychic Bond)

32 2) Magic Augmentation: Aid 2d6 (max. Aided Points: 12): Magic, Limited To One Power At A Time (+0), Variable Effect (any magic power one at a time; +1/4), Delayed Return Rate (5 Points per Hour; +1), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1) (65 Active Points); Only When Within 5" Of Lady Arcane (-1)

32 3) Shared Senses: Clairsentience (Sight Group; Additional Sense Group: Hearing Group, x4 Range), Usable Simultaneously (familiar and Lady Arcane at once) (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (80 Active Points); Only Through The Senses Of Others (familiar only) (-1), Blackout (-1/2)

Skills

4 +2 with Talons

20 Hard To Hit: +4 with DCV

5 Easily Hidden: +4 to Concealment (8 Active Points); Self Only (-1/2)

11 Stealth 16-

Base OCV: 5 Base DCV: 5 Base ECV: 2

Adjustment + Adjustment + Adjustment +

Final OCV: Final DCV: Final ECV:

Levels: +2 with Talons,Hard To Hit: +4 with DCV

Combat Maneuvers

Name Phase OCV DCV Effect

Block 1/2 +0 +0 Block, Abort

Brace 0 +2 1/2 +2 vs. Range Mod.

Disarm 1/2 -2 +0 Can disarm

Dodge 1/2 --- +3 Abort, vs. all attacks

Grab 1/2 -1 -2 Grab two limbs

Grab By 1/2 -3 -4 Move and Grab

Haymaker 1/2* +0 -5 +4DC to attack

Move By 1/2 -2 -2 STR/2 + v/5

Move Through 1/2 -v/5 -3 STR + v/3

Set 1 +1 +0 Ranged attacks only

Strike 1/2 +0 +0 STR or weapon

Range 0-4 5-8 9-16 17-32 33-64 65-128

RMod 0 -2 -4 -6 -8 -10

DEX: 16 SPD: 3 ECV: 2

Phases: 4, 8, 12

3 PD (0 rPD) 3 ED (0 rED) MD: 0

END: 16 STUN: 16 BODY: 5

Roll Location STUNx NSTUN BODYx To Hit

3-5 Head x5 x2 x2 -8

6 Hands x1 x1/2 x1/2 -6

7-8 Arms x2 x1/2 x1/2 -5

9 Shoulders x3 x1 x1 -5

10-11 Chest x3 x1 x1 -3

12 Stomach x4 x1.5 x1 -7

13 Vitals x4 x1.5 x2 -8

14 Thighs x2 x1 x1 -4

15-16 Legs x2 x1/2 x1/2 -6

17-18 Feet x1 x1/2 x1/2 -8

Height: 0' 7" Hair: none, has brown feathers

Weight: 1 lbs Eyes: amber

Appearance: Amber is a western screech owl.

Background:

Re: Character for Review: Amber the owl

Her 'owner', Lady Arcain. Any relations to the old silver age mystical hero Dr. Arcain (of Heroic Publishing fame)?

Oh, and nice familer.

No relation. My campaign's also in a different universe. I chose the name Lady Arcane, for my mage because it sounded cool. That's the same reason I named her mentor, and uncle, Doctor Arcane.

I created Amber by loading the familiar, from the Beastuary pack, into Hero Designer version one, saving it as a prefab, then loading the owl, from the same pack in andadding the prefab. After that, I just made a few minor changes and Amber was hatched.

It's a cool and powerful familliar. I'd be a little careful with that Aid in the hands of a power player, but if you and your players are cool with it then it's a very good, traditional ability. I've built Familliars with Succor in 5th to get around the problem of playes charging themselves up one power at a time; they still get the boost for one spell (or a pre-defined group) but the points fade a soon as the Familliar switches to something else or needs to leave the combat zone.

It's a cool and powerful familliar. I'd be a little careful with that Aid in the hands of a power player' date=' but if you and your players are cool with it then it's a very good, traditional ability. I've built Familliars with Succor in 5th to get around the problem of playes charging themselves up one power at a time; they still get the boost for one spell (or a pre-defined group) but the points fade a soon as the Familliar switches to something else or needs to leave the combat zone.[/quote']

Lady Arcane's one of my characters. Because of all of her spells, I'll probably be building her with a base of 400 points. Her mentor, Doctor Arcane, is the San Angelo universe's archmage and she's his designated sucessor. More on that when I write her character up.