Need help with a "Forge" power set

Enforcer84

I am looking to create a gadgeteer. He's highly intelligent (INT30) has "basic" understanding of various sciences (Computers, Electronics, Mechanics, Inventing, Systems OP; Sciences: Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Physics), he's got Lightning Calc, speed reading and edietic memory. I want some other tricks or abilities for him.

He's very young, at this point in his career he doesn't have scientific training, it all comes naturally to him. Any ideas? I'm thinking skill levels to cut time based penalties for kitbashing or some such stuff, any one else make X-Men's Forge and what did they do?

Thanks in advance

I gave him a Find Weakness, with a Limitation "only to machines".

And Invisibility, Persistent, "only to machines".

You might also try Telepathy (machine group), Invisible Power Effects, No Range. Maybe Mind Control (or Mental Illusions), too.

If he's going to have set gadgets, it might be interesting to try a "on-the-spot tinkering" power:

Naked Variable Advantage, with RSR and Extra Time only to activate. ("Wow! My gun never fired so well before, Gizmo Guy!").

Or you could do that with a cumulative Transform that adds more Active Points to the gadget.

Re: Need help with a "Forge" power set

If he’s an intuitive gadgeteer, try for a Power Pool without the restriction that changes can only be made in a laboratory, just as Metaphysician suggested. I suspect that was what you had in mind anyway.

I’d also consider giving him Overall Skill Levels. There’s no reason why his DEX should be amazing, but I bet he is a crack shot with guns he’s created, plus the Levels will help him with his other Skills.

I like some of the other ideas people have posted, especially being able to upgrade other devices and talking to machines, as Lightray said.

Don't forget to give him Weaponsmith and maybe the 'Super Sciences' detailed in Champions (unless he's never going to build things like size changing rays, or you think that's too much for a guy with essentially no training).

If you're going for the REAL forge, you don't need to buy up his science skills too high. He's an intuitive gadgeteer, just as Crimson Arrow points out. He invents things but doesn't always understand the science behind them. He's certainly no Reed Richards or Tony Stark.

I would give him a VPP with an accompanying Power Skill (Intuitive Invention, maybe?), then add limitation such as "extra time" and/or "must have available resources"). A good psych lim for him would be "doesn't always understand the science of what he's built".

If you're going for the REAL forge, you don't need to buy up his science skills too high. He's an intuitive gadgeteer, just as Crimson Arrow points out. He invents things but doesn't always understand the science behind them. He's certainly no Reed Richards or Tony Stark.

I would give him a VPP with an accompanying Power Skill (Intuitive Invention, maybe?), then add limitation such as "extra time" and/or "must have available resources"). A good psych lim for him would be "doesn't always understand the science of what he's built".

Actually, that's a great point. I'm not sure it's necessarily a Psych Lim; it could be that he simply doesn't have the Sciences at very high levels (or maybe at all), but has Inventor bought up.