Something From Age of Storms...

Jkeown

Jitaani (Moon Children)

The Jitaani are physically similar to Elowan, save for the spiral horns growing from their foreheads. These horns, indeed the whole of their being, detect as magical. While they sometimes cloak themselves in illusory shells or more mundane disguises, their true nature is often revealed by their odd behaviors.

The Moon Children are a strange race of magical beings. They live in an unknown location, often travelling under magical disguise to all parts of the world. Even the Dharzoon, who seem to know everything, do not know from whence the Jitaani hail. They call their homeland Jitaan, which does not appear on any map of Caleon. The Jitaani may be seen anywhere, though most are encountered either in the far north of Serantia near the Yark or in the southern regions near the KythWall.

No one has encountered more than four Jitaani at one time. They travel constantly, experiencing the various cultures of Caleon. They are secretive and laconic, speaking little, and only occasionally giving a hint to their origins. Most often one will see a Jitaani laugh quietly at something a Serantian does. They tend to find combat extremely silly. Airwalker explains this by saying they are highly magical, creative beings who find ways around our forms of life and its constant struggle.

Kanooj of Ytarra thinks they are beings of the Essence. In contrast to this, Diwaspa Mobastard says they come from another planet near enough to Caleon to be reached by gate. Neomaster theorizes they come from an Essence aligned pocket dimension similar to the Pale. The Berserker had his mouth full and wouldn’t comment.

They may use the horns in combat, but this seems distasteful to them. Among themselves they speak a language they call Zhojt.

Moon Children stand between 5’5†and 6’. They weigh about 20 lbs lighter than a human of their hieght.

Jitaani Racial Package

Cost Ability

9 +3 DEX

6 +3 EGO

3 +6 COM

4 +2 w Magic Skill Rolls

17 Sense Magic: Detect A Class Of Things 11- (Unusual Group), Discriminatory, Range, Sense

5 Undying : LS (Longevity: Immortal)

Value Disadvantage

15 We are magic Susceptibility: Dispel Magic or No Magic Zones, 2d6 damage Instant (Common)

0 Distinctive Features: Detects as Magical (Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures)

29 Total Cost of Package

Options

5 Horns 1 pip HKA (½d5 w.STR)

Jitaani Cultural Package

Cost Ability

0 Planar Knowledge: Jitaan 8-

0 Language: Zhojt (basic conversation; literate) (2 Active Points)

3 Magic 11-

2 WF: 2 pts worth

Value Disadvantages

10 Amused by Mortals (Common, Moderate)

-5 Total Cost of Package

Most Jitaani encountered, or for that matter, played will be Wanderers. They are the traveling sages of the Jitaani race, scouring the planes for magical knowledge. Capable wizards in their own right, they are taught some spells, assigned a region of Caleon to explore and left alone to discover what they may.

Along the way, they often encounter trouble from Chaos, rampaging animals and player characters.

Jitaani Wanderer

Cost Ability

4 +2 w/ Magic Roll

8 KS: 8 pts worth

2 Language: (any two) (Basic Conversation)

2 PS: Cartography 11-

2 PS: Teacher 11-

3 Riding

30 Spells

6 Survival: (any two)

3 TF: Birds, Boats and Wagons

Value Disadvantages

10 Social Limitation: Sense of Duty (Occasionally, Major)

44 Total Value of Package

Thoughts?

Re: Something From Age of Storms...

What about linguistics or universal translator? Or a psych lim of curiosity/inquisitive nature for the Wanderers?

Interesting race - I take it that it is deliberate that there is no explanation how they get to the world, or how they leave again?

This is why I posted it here... I knew ya'll would comment and I could polish it.

I'm certain a lot of wanderers are Curious, Inquisitive or Nosy. I think most of them study Caleon's struggles against Chaos for a laugh, however. Some show up here and decide to Take It All Seriously, though and end up fighting against Chaos because the pesky PC-types actually seem like nice people.

They come and go with some kind of Extradimensional Teleport Effect. As there are many such spells, I didn't feel like presenting it... However... In the final product, each package deal that has Power Builds associated with it will have those builds crammed in somewhere. I believe the suggestion was to create a whole chapter for them, rather than pile them up behind each package.

I notice by looking at my notes (a compilation of musings dating back to 1986 and the first Fantasy Hero (you know the one with the guys fighting the dragon that Dragon Magazine's Art Editor ripped off....)) that the Jitaani have many things in common with Projections.

Projections are free-willed Illusion magic that come complete with personality and such. Think about Picardo's character from Voyager and you're getting close. They also take damage from Dispels and Detect as magical. In my opinion they need something to distinguish them from Jitaani. I was thinking that perhaps they are also slightly translucent (another Distinctive Feature) and while appearing as adults, they only began appearing a few years ago, so most are only as experienced as small children (Social Limitation?)

Caleon is Very Magical. It gets worse as time wears on until the Exodus... then Caleon's not even there any more. So highly magical races and beings and Planet-Shaking Magic are practically the order of the day... Balance is an issue...

Interesting race - I take it that it is deliberate that there is no explanation how they get to the world' date=' or how they leave again?[/quote']

How about this... They only appear at Zanuji Gate in Ytarra, or Faralang Portal in the Yark and have to walk, fly or ride a billy goat to their destination. They have to wait until the exact moment the Greater Moon (Zirtya, the one the Elves used to live on until it was hit by a comet, but that's another story...) is overhead and the gate cracks open. They all stand around with their eyes closed and "feel the moment" a flicker of thought later, they are in Caleon. They spread out from the gate, and begin or continue their studies...

Passing Between: Extra-Dimensional Movement (Related Group of Dimensions, Two Locations) (25 Active Points); Window Of Opportunity (once per Month; window remains open for 1 Minute; Zirtya at zenith over Target Site ; -3 1/4), Requires A Skill Roll (-1/2) Real cost: 5

Yeah... so it's a little like the Moon Gates in Ultima... but that not only justifies the use of the term Moon Children, but implies some kind of mysterious connection to the Doomed Home of the Elves... and its cool... so there.

• 3 weeks later...

They look like a cross between Humans, Elves and Unicorns.

Hair and eyes, multihued and prismatic, with gold, silver or copper horns spiralling up from their foreheads. Often, they sport a pair of horns like those of rams. They show the same variation in height and weight as humans, but tend toward either slim and athletic or curvy without seeming "soft." Males do not tend to bulk up much, and even the strongest among them is much smaller than a human of equivalent strength.