Conversion project WebEffort

Al_Beddow

I've been reading all the posts/threads about folks working to convert their favorite book/TV show/game setting to FREd and realized that what we all really could use is one place for everyone to put their work.

What I am proposing is to host such a site. The ground rules would be:

1) I will not make any decisions on the specific conversions unless I am involved in that particular project.

2) The site will acknowledge all copyrights.

3) The site will acknowlege everyone who contributed to the specific project.

I've already got some design ideas I've been working out, but didn't want to take this too far without brining folks on board.

What do y'all say to this idea?

Being one of those folks working on a conversion :), I think its a great idea for those folks who don't have a way of hosting on their own. For those that do, we should at least be referenced on that site. If it ever gets too busy, I'd be happy to act as a mirror for you.

Let me know if I can help!

Aroooo

Arooo said:

If it ever gets too busy, I'd be happy to act as a mirror for you.

Arooo, once the site gets large enough I'll seriously consider taking you up on your offer.

Captain Obvious said:

I probably won't participate though, given that when I get started on a serious conversion, I rarely finish it in a reasonable time frame. Just too busy with other things, and then I get side-tracked with another ultra-cool conversion....

Well then Cap, this would be the perfect opportunity for you. See the idea is to at least preserve what work has been done for those who come after. If one person spent a great deal of time and effort converting all the races for say, Babylon5, and then quit their work dies with them. But if they have contributed it to the website I am thinking about, then others interested in B5 can pick up where they left off.

WebEffort Submission Guidelines

I've been asked to post some submission guidelines. In coming up with some I'm most worried about violating copyrights. Why? Well, besides the fact it's against the law, some companies like Paramount Pictures are very adamant about going after people who violate their copyrights. So, there is some CYA in these guidelines but hopefully without being obnoxious about it.

I. COPYRIGHTS

1) Everything posted/supplied must recognize the copyright holder of the original material.

For example, The "Star Trek" conversion section will have at the bottom of each page "STAR TREK is TM & COPYRIGHT 1996-2003 BY PARAMOUNT PICTURES CORPORATION. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED." (This example was taken from the official Paramount ST Site at http://www.startrek.com/termsofuse.asp item #3 "Terms of Use.")

2) All work must be credited whoever did that particular part of the conversion (including a method for others to contact the person should others have suggestions/questions). If you wish to have it posted "anonymously", just state so when you send the material in, but I will need to know who you are. (In this case I will forward contact requests to you instead of giving out your info).

3) Permission must be obtained to use any graphics obtained from the original copyright holder. If YOU created the graphic then the same rules apply as in #2.

II. SUBMISSION FORMATS

1) You can send submissions in either MS Word format or as a plain text file. If using MS Word please use Arial 10pt for regular text and Courier New 10pt for tables. This will greatly help me with converting the material to the website.

2) All graphics must be JPEG or GIF. Use JPEG for photos that don't have large areas of one solid color, and use GIF for graphics with large areas of one solid color. JPEG doesn't handle large areas of solid colors well.

3) Please don't send me a graphic that is 1024x767 and in 16 million colors. That would be a huge file which would take forever for folks on a dial-up Internet connection to download. I'm only going to drop the color depth and size so of something so large so it won't bog down the site so please, save us all some heartache here.

III. MORE THAN ONE PERSON WORKING ON A CONVERSION

1) If there is more than one person working on a particular conversion (say, there are 5 people working on different parts of a "Hero: Babylon 5"), I would prefer that all of these folks work together so we don't end up with 6 different views on what the Hero stats are for a standard "Star Fury." In fact, I encourage folks interested in a certain setting/book/TV/Movie series to work together on that particular project.

2) Again, I am not going to be reviewing material to see if it is "correct." I am just providing a place for folks to put up their work converting a setting to the HERO System 5th Edition.

I hope this isn't too heavy handed. I am very open to suggestions.

Al

Al,

I think it's a great idea! Although I do want to point out that you're going to get people looking for some very different things ... the most common search terms on people hitting mactyre.net are ... god, this is just so embarrassing... "Steven Segal."

(Because there's a write up on Deejay's Champions Writeups -- one of MIke Surbrook's old conversions.)

But with all the copywritten characters on the site, no one's ever come knockin' on the door, and I've hosted the site since...um...97? 98? Something like that.

Good luck!

-Shelley

Permissions

Having gone through putting up a fan site, I should point out that whatever fan creations get posted, they should also adhere to DOJ's online policies (follow the Policies link on the side bar).

Specifically, creators should run their site through Steve first and ask permission to go public with it.

Aroooo

Thanks Arooo. Here is the e-mail I've sent to Steve L.

Steve,

I've started an effort to bring together all the folks doing "conversions" of their favorite settings into the HERO System Fifth Ed. (http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2700). One of the folks in the discussion, Arooo, pointed out that I should have run this idea by you first (DoH! How dumb could I be to have forgotten this).

Anyway, I have read the policy page and would like your blessing to do this. As you can see by the thread where I am discussing the project, I am a big proponent of protecting copyright and intellectual property. The goal is not to step on anyones toes but to provide a great site that will (hopefully) help generate interest in HERO System 5th Ed. With that in mind, I am VERY open to what requirements you might wish to impose to protect you and DOJ.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and respond.

Al Beddow

Yes,

As I stated, we must honor copyrights. For some folks this means just posting the proper copyright notice, while for others you must go through a great deal to get permission.

So... when someone submits to add a new setting/start a new conversion, they need to provide the link to the proper page where the owner discussions their copyright (like I did for Paramount/Star Trek).

As for Steve L. We don't have permission but he didn't say "NO". We are on our own. We WILL follow and comply with the policies listed on the HERO website. HERO Games Policies

I've been thinking about the project over the last week and my wife pointed something out. I am working on becoming a "Legion of Hero's" demonstraitor. If I do that and also put up the conversion website, it could easily be seen as something "psudo-official" by DoJ/Hero Games.

So, I've had to change my approach. I'm still looking for an angle on putting up a fan website supporting HERO 5th Ed, but I can't head up the conversion project webeffort.

Nobody at DoJ/Hero Games has said anything to me about this, and I haven't asked. This is coming totally from me after considering the point my wife made.

Thanks for all your interest. Maybe next time I get a great idea I'll think it through a little better first.

Originally posted by Al_Beddow

I've been thinking about the project over the last week and my wife pointed something out. I am working on becoming a "Legion of Hero's" demonstraitor. If I do that and also put up the conversion website, it could easily be seen as something "psudo-official" by DoJ/Hero Games.

So, I've had to change my approach. I'm still looking for an angle on putting up a fan website supporting HERO 5th Ed, but I can't head up the conversion project webeffort.

Nobody at DoJ/Hero Games has said anything to me about this, and I haven't asked. This is coming totally from me after considering the point my wife made.

Thanks for all your interest. Maybe next time I get a great idea I'll think it through a little better first.

:confused: :confused:

Where's the problem?

At the top of the webpage in nice readable letters you put "UNOFFICIAL CONVERSIONS".

The basic issue is that Hero Games/DoJ wants nothing to do with the proposed site. They won't approve or dissaprove of it.

As I said, I don't have an OFFICIAL relationship with the company now, but since I am pursuing one that would just muddy the waters.

Of course, I will be glady posting links to all the sites that Have been doing HERO conversions (you can't get into much trouble posting a LINK). ;-)