Bony Jaws!

Jkeown

I don't recall seeing many magical, deadly fish around here... so here goes.

Tell me.. would expanding the Invisibility power to simulate pattern matching with the sea floor be too overpowering for most PCs? I know it's hard to balance such things with the open-ended nature of HERO... but I thought I'd ask...

Bony Jaws

Terror of the Circular Sea to the south of Saduria, the Bony Jaws is valued for the rare Ytrann found in its bones. Ytrann is processed into Rings of Invisibility, Charms of Shielding and half a dozen other magic items of utility. few hunters are brave or stupid enough to go after them, despite the obvious rewards.

Its favored tactic is to hide at the bottom of the sea and wait for prey to pass by. One bite is usually all it takes, but some have survived to struggle with the creature.

The Bony Jaws' only natural predator is the Rammerhorn. They never have any treasure save for any they may have swallowed.

Val   Char    Cost
40   STR 30
15   DEX 15
20   CON 20
18   BODY 16
7   INT -3
5   EGO -10
20   PRE 10
10   COM 0

8   PD 0
5   ED 1
4   SPD 15
12   REC 0
40   END 0
48   STUN 0
 0"  RUN-1217"  SWIM00"  LEAP-8Characteristics Cost: 74

Cost   Power END
25   Bony Jaws: HKA 2d6-1 (3d6+1 w/STR)  2
14   Spikey Bits: HKA 1d6, Inherent (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Damage Shield (+1/2) (41 Active Points); Activation Roll 11- (-1), Always On (-1/2), No STR Bonus (-1/2)  0
19   There Is Not A Giant Spikey Fish Here: Invisibility to Mental Group, Danger Sense, Combat Sense and Detect   2
7   Ytrann-laced Bony Plating: Damage Resistance (5 PD/5 ED/5 Mental Def.)  0
4   Magic Bones: Mental Defense (5 points total)  0
12   Heavy: Knockback Resistance -6"  0
15   Echolocation: Active Sonar (Hearing Group)  0
8   Bony Jaws Eyes: Nightvision, +3 to PER Roll  0
15   Bony Jaws Body: Swimming +15" (17" total)  1
Powers Cost: 119

Cost   Martial Arts Maneuver
   Red In Tooth And Claw 
0   1) Used with Natural Weapons Group: Default Element 
4   2) Avoid Harm: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort 
3   3) Holding Bite: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab One Limb, +10 STR 
5   4) Pounce: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, 12d6 / 4d6 Strike 
4   5) Smash/Claw Slash: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 10d6 / 2d6 Strike 
3   6) Trip: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, -1 DCV, 9d6 / 1d6 Strike, Target Falls 
Martial Arts Cost: 19

Cost   Skill
11   Concealment 14- 
3   Disguise 10- 
2   +2 with Bite 
Skills Cost: 16

Cost   Talent
3   Bump Of Direction 
4   Deadly Blow: +1d6 (Attacking with Surprise) 
1   Lightning Reflexes: +1 DEX to act first with Bite 
Talents Cost: 8

Total Character Cost: 236

Val   Disadvantages
10   Physical Limitation: Enormous, up to four times human size (8m, or 2.1-4"; -4 DCV, +4 to PER Rolls to perceive) Frequently, Slightly Impairing 
5   Physical Limitation: Reduced Leap, cannot leap Infrequently, Slightly Impairing 
15   Physical Limitation: Animal Intelligence Frequently, Greatly Impairing 
111   Giant Spikey Fish Bonus 

Disadvantage Points: 141

Base Points: 125

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Re: Bony Jaws!

Rather than invisibility, I would give it levels in concealment. That combined with its existing mental defence would make it hard to spot. Danger sense won't help you find it - merely tell you just before it attacks.

It would also explain why people can see it easily, or pick it up on sonar, but be unable to see it with "detect giant spiky fish", which seems a bit odd.

cheers,Mark

Re: Bony Jaws!

Rather than invisibility, I would give it levels in concealment. That combined with its existing mental defence would make it hard to spot. Danger sense won't help you find it - merely tell you just before it attacks.

It would also explain why people can see it easily, or pick it up on sonar, but be unable to see it with "detect giant spiky fish", which seems a bit odd.

cheers,Mark

I wondered about the Detect... could it be ruled that any Detect (Magic, Fish, Ytrann, Predators) would fail to work? That's the intent.

The Invisibility to Danger Sense is nice, and merely an effect tossed on to make the magic items you create from it seem guided somehow. The point of all of this is to make creatures that can be hunted by PCs to create items everybody needs without a PC simply saying, "I make an Amulet of Non Detection out of these Hot Wheel Cars and this Roll of Book Tape. Here's my 7 XP."

• 2 weeks later...