Wishful Thinking

Richard Logue

Preface: I am the GM, and i use my own created world. The Champions Universe is a sister-dimension that I use in conjunction with my own world sometimes.)

I have a character idea for an NPC. Defender. At first he was a simple concept: a modern knight. He wears a suit of power armor that allows him to go toe-to-toe with other bricks. And he wields Excalibur (of myth and legend, yes). Then it occured to me. Mallory wrote of Arthur and his knights. He gathered oral histories to do so, but its really a work of fantasy.

Then it occured to me. What if its not really Excalibur at all? What if the armor isn't even real? Maybe this fellow's real power is to conjure things from his mind. They take real form and actually do the things he imagines they do. (Perhaps he doesn't even have a clue as to his real abilities.)

Anyway, as GM, how should I handle this? Do I make a Wishful Thinking VPP and create his things as need be? Or do I simply create the sword and armor since that's the way he will be for some time to come? Then later on, when and if the NPC "rebuilds" himself, I just respend his points.

Which way seems best?

RL

Re: Wishful Thinking

"Where the power comes from" is SFX in my opinion, so should have no point cost. I'd build him with the abilities he has, and consider converting them to a VPP later (ie having him realize his true potential). You could build him on less points, and call the unspent points a prepayment to that VPP change (if points are an issue at all, given he's an NPC).

Re: Wishful Thinking

The Wishful thinking effect seems to just be a special effect. Where his powers come from, at the moment sounds like just a sfx since he has no conscious control over it at the moment. The VPP could come later if he ever realizes his true potential (or it becomes more than a plot device used occasionally to add color).