Making Money redux

Whitewings

I'm just wondering, what might be some some good ways for a character to make money? The particular person in question is a 16 year old gir; she's shy, quiet, timid, bookish, and uses drilling rigs for workout weights (STR 80). Basically, she's a very high-end flying brick who hates drawing attention to herself.

Re: Making Money redux

I'm just wondering' date=' what might be some some good ways for a character to make money? The particular person in question is a 16 year old gir; she's shy, quiet, timid, bookish, and uses drilling rigs for workout weights (STR 80). Basically, she's a very high-end flying brick who hates drawing attention to herself.[/quote']Well, if she's shy / low key, a Secret ID is probably a requirement. Given that, what do other 16-year-old bookish girls do for money? Regular jobs like McDonalds? Retail stores? Babysitting?Or were you looking for something she could do with her powers?

Basically' date=' she's a very high-end flying brick who hates drawing attention to herself.[/quote']

I think there's a problem with hating drawing attention to yourself and being a flying brick superhero, and that's only compounded by trying to use your powers to earn money!

But leaving that aside...

I'm presuming her flight doesn't depend on air (she doesn't flap wings or anything like that). If that's the case (Superman-style "reactionless thrust") one thing immediately comes to mind: lofting private satellites into orbit. If she doesn't have the Life Support required to survive unaided in space, I'm certain that a corporation that's saving $20 million on a launch vehicle could arrange an appropriate space suit. :)

Other ideas: flying good-sized icebergs to remote waterless locations that need a source of fresh water; airlifting construction equipment that's too heavy for your usual cargo helicopters into inaccessible locations like remote mountain tops or valleys.

Another one is ship resuce: every year, a number of ships (usually the small commercial fishing boat variety) are lost in the North Atlantic and off the coast of Alaska due to icy, rough seas. In those situations the Coast Guard has a tough enough time just trying to save the lives of the crew and the ships generally have to be abandoned to the ice and waves; imagine how much a ship owner would be willing to pay to have the entire ship airlifted to safety instead of just the crew! Granted this one does require the ability to get there now, and you haven't said how fast she can fly, but I thought I'd toss it out anyway.

Depends on what you want for your campaign

1. She hauls away cars parked in no parking zones for the city.

2. She works in a junk yard, taking apart broken cars (worked for Mister Furious)

3. A new subway is being built, she is given a sledgehammer and told to make a tunnel.

4. Housing construction, she carries building supplies to the top of mountains, for people who like views.

5. She goes every day to a temp agency, and gets a job there.

6. She works for a major metropolitan newspaper...delivering papers.

While some of these may seem mundane, imagine what a job interview for someone with 80 strength would look like...

"You've knocked down how many buildings by being smashed into them? And your deadbeat dad, Grond, sometimes drops in?"

I'm just wondering' date=' what might be some some good ways for a character to make money? The particular person in question is a 16 year old gir; she's shy, quiet, timid, bookish, and uses drilling rigs for workout weights (STR 80). Basically, she's a very high-end flying brick who hates drawing attention to herself.[/quote']

If she's 16, there will be severe restrictions on possible jobs. Due to federal law, she will be barred from working more than X hours per day, and per week, barred from working during certain hours and certain days, barred from working certain jobs, barred from certain industries, etc. I'd suggest researching these matters before choosing a specific job for her.

BTW, though I'm referring specifically to USA law, I'm sure similar laws are in place in most other industrialized countries; they may indeed be even more restrictive than in the USA. Third World countries will have, generally, less restrictive laws, and such laws as they have will be much less rigorously enforced, by and large.

BTW' date=' though I'm referring specifically to USA law, I'm sure similar laws are in place in most other industrialized countries; they may indeed be even more restrictive than in the USA. Third World countries will have, generally, less restrictive laws, and such laws as they have will be much less rigorously enforced, by and large.[/quote']She lives in Berkeley, US federal and California state laws apply fully. She doesn't actually *need* to work, her parents earn a quite good living, but sooner or later it will occur to her that she should at least try to put her powers to some productive use.

She lives in Berkeley' date=' US federal and California state laws apply fully. She doesn't actually *need* to work, her parents earn a quite good living, but sooner or later it will occur to her that she should at least try to put her powers to some productive use.[/quote']

OK, those are the laws you'll have to do research on. :)

Child-labor laws apply to volunteer work too. AFAIK, with no lessening of restrictions.