VPP Help

Col. Orange

Re: VPP Help

Have I done this right?

"Cantrips", 30pt VPP

-------------------

Pool 30pts

Control 22pts (0-Phase switching +1, no skill roll +1, Very limited Magical effects -1)

Ta.

No: you used a VPP. :)

Really, without knowing how magic works in your system* and what you mean by 'very limited magical effects', it is difficult to say, but the maths is right.

*...and it would make a big difference if this was Champions or Fantasy hero....

I'd consider that a lot of true "cantrips" are just a SFX of being "magic." Want an imp to stir your potions? Sure. Need your spell book to float in the air while you read it? No prob. Impress the ladies at the market by pulling flowers out of thin air? Good RP.

But 30 points (is that the actual points available? I'm not sure.) is a 6d6 EB. That's pretty healthy for just a cantrip. And zero phase would be a no-go if I was the GM. You need to throw at least a "Bippity Boppity Boo" in there. I'd require at least Incantations, Powers Occur at Bottom of Phase, and probably a focus of some sort too (IIF: Undergraduate Magic School Diploma?).

5 points active (ie. a light) would be as far as I'd go for a cantrip.

Have I done this right?

"Cantrips", 30pt VPP

-------------------

Pool 30pts

Control 22pts (0-Phase switching +1, no skill roll +1, Very limited Magical effects -1)

Ta.

Short Answer: The math is correct, congratulations, you can build a VPP! :celebrate

Long Answer: Um, well... sarcasm aside, this is mathematically correct and by the rules. However, as others have pointed out, there might be some issues with a "very limited" magic pool, and a pool that's supposed to be cantrips having a whopping 30 points in it.

First, think about exactly how is the pool Very Limited. What can't it do? Since it's a -1 Limitation, it should not be able to do half the things a poos of it's size would normally be able to. When I make a magic pool, I usually define how the magic is supposed to work and decide how limiting that would be. In some cases, I require all magic effects to be instant (either an instant effect, or a continuous & uncontrolled effect) and to always cost END. Granted, this is only a -1/4 to -1/2 in my opinion. I'm wondering how much more limiting your pool is.

Next, think about what a cantrip is. According to the size of your pool (and the limits on it), a cantrip is 20 STR TK that can pick up a man and hurl him 50 feet, or a 2d6 KA that can kill a normal human in a single blow. If that works for you, excellent. If not, you might want to rethink how many points are in the pool.