PC and NPC Inspiration: Real Life

BishopofB&W

Re: PC and NPC Inspiration: Real Life

Not in my supers games... but in my Danger International games... damn straight.

"Jill" was the main one. In college, she was a friend... tall, beautiful blonde, sorority girl type... roommate of my girlfriend at the time... who turned out to be this really nice, friendly person who joined our Tae Kwon Do club and really got into it. Totally accepting of the oddball types that most of us were, partied and hung out with us even though we were so NOT the "in crowd"... and she was really good at TKD. Amazing form... and I don't mean that in a lecherous way.

She became "Jill" this uber-competent, beautiful female assassin with a code of honor. She stepped in to clean up a mess made by one of my PI characters who got shot up stopping a kidnapping.

I don't think I could say with any certainty that any of my PCs were ever based on real people. Perhaps names or personality quirks, but certainly nothing more concrete than that.

NPCs, on the other hand, are almost always drawn from real life to a lesser or greater extent. In fact, some of my notes for NPCs simply have the real person's name written down, maybe a brief physical description, so that I always know the personality to play.

Side note: that's a very cool article. I'll be looking up more on Zvicka in the near future.

Joseph Greenstein, the original Mighty Atom, was in part the inspiration for "Oppenheimer" (link in my sig, through the New Circle thread). He was also the inspiration for many golden age supers. Champion wrestler, Vaudville strongman. Could bend spikes, bite through nails, break chains, hold back an airplane, pulled busses and trains, tore horse shoes apart...the man was as close to a superhero from a physical point of view as it gets.

He also beat up gangs of American Nazisdurring WWII, and hunted muggers in New York when he was in his 70s. Pick up his biography; it rocks. :)

The Spiritual Journey of Joeseph Greenstein, The Mighty Atom. http://www.ironmind.com

When I generate a character largely or partly based on someone I know, I don't talk about it.

Like many people, I've generated and played a character based on Joan of Arc. She's such an extreme character - an extraordinarily good an pleasant person, much more so than you would expect, even for a saint; and at the same time she was hanging around with companions like Gilles de Rais, the original bluebeard. She was an innocent peasant girl who logically could never have led men; and at the same time she was one of the most formidable killing machines produced by Christendom in the Middle Ages. (I am highly impressed with her in a strictly military sense, I would put her up with Brasidas the Spartan.) And despite her victory at Patay, she is best known for being burned alive. Wherever you look, there is something unique, astonishing, colourful and usually creditable to her.

I would never do a Joan clone as a non-player character. She would be a gamemaster's pet, and that's always a bad idea.

Any resemblance between my characters and r/l people is purely coincidental.

Or accidental, if I picked up on something subliminally.

For some reason this thread reminds me of Mike Meyers doing "Dr. Evil", who it turns out is his immitation of Saturday Night Live producer Lorne Michaels. After you know that, Lorne doesn't quite seem the same :)

Guest WhammeWhamme

I actually plan on stealing some board members (or at least there online personas) as characters for some PBEMs. :)

Oh? Which board members, and what PBeMs?