Fullmetal Alchemist: How to model?

Funksaw

Say, how would you guys model the assorted powers in "Fullmetal Alchemist"

I'm thinking, obviously, "Transform" would be the appropriate power. The problem is that alchemy (as portrayed in the Anime) requires a transmutation circle. Sometimes this circle can be drawn. (Most Alchemy) Other times the circle can be engraved. (But engraved alchemy can only do one type of transform effect per transmutation circle) Other times, it can be improvised, but this is rare.

Would you buy it as two separate transform powers?

General Alchemy

Transform, Gestures (draw the circle) (Only Matter) (Obvious Accessible Focus: "Matter") (Usable as Attack)

Specific Alchemy

Transform, (One transformation only) (Obvious inaccessible focus: Engraved Transmutation Circle) (Usable as Attack)

Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: How to model?

Transform is pretty much a given, and the Focus might be OAF, as I'm presuming it's known the circle is needed to use alchemy, for the most part. It has to be in a certain location to be used, and the character can be moved away from it to prevcent usage.

If I recall what i've read about the show, State Alchemists can perform Alchemy without a circle, and that's where I'd apply a seperate power.

You might want to consider an Alchemy skill as well, to access the Circle for usage, and/or put restrictions on how engraved circles can be used.

I haven't seen the whole series, but from what I have seen, pretty much anybody can use alchemy as long as they have a Transmutation Circle and some ingredients. Maybe make it a sort of Everyman power, with big Side Effects because it's not safe if you don't know what you're doing?

Well, I'd imagine that Alchemy wouldn't be an everyman skill, just like Chemistry isn't an everyman skill. Sure, people might have learned Chemistry in high school, but how much do you remember? I'd say that an untrained person trying to use Alchemy would be at a 8-... add that to the standard "per active point" penalties, and you've got a major problem.

I'd imagine that a pro Alchemist probably has a 15 or so - enough to weild 30 AP or so with a reasonable chance of success, while State Alchemists have up to 20 in the "Alchemy" skill - enough to wield 30 points without fear of failure and able to take on maybe 100 points in a crunch.

I'd also consider the possibility of "aiding" devices, something like the State Alchemist's Pocketwatch adding 30 active points to the Alchemy (with OAF.)

I would model the Alchemy in full metal alchemist as a VPP with the limitations (alchemy (this should cover equivalent exchange (requires equal matter to create an object)); -1/2), (OAF (arrangement, fragile) - alchemy circle; -1 1/2), and Requires Skill Roll (-1/2). The reason is that alchemy can also be used for direct attacks (RKA's and HKA's), such as, growing spikes from the ground, imploding people's heads, creating fire attacks, and the rock bullet that Armstrong uses in a fight with scar.

Colonel Mustang's flame attack is described in the manga (if I remember correctly) as creating a pocket of pure oxygen around the thing he's aiming at (and I'm also assuming a trail of oxygen to the target), which he then uses his spark gloves to toss a spark into causing it to ignite and burn the target. All of that is basically the special effect but in Hero I would model it as an RKA, probably with reduced range. Another example is Scar's attack where he grabs your head and destroys the matter inside of it causing your head to implode, which is just an HKA, but with a limitation that he has to know what the substance is that he's attacking (He failed to break Ed's arm with his first attack because he thought it was flesh instead of automail).

Most people have no clue as to how to use alchemy so it can't be an everyman skill. Alchemy just like magic in most settings takes years of study to learn and even longer to master. The Elric brothers are considered geniuses by most people and rightfully so they've learned alchemy at a much younger age than most people have. The number of alchemists in the world is probably closer (in ratio to the population) to the number of quantum physicists with PhD's in ours (I may be exaggerating here but you get the point). Also just like physics some people will pick it up without much trouble while others will never get it (I suck at any form of advanced physics myself).

Ed's ability to not have to use an alchemy circle is because he performed human alchemy (and that's all I'll say about that since anymore would be a spoiler). So instead of an OAF he would use gestures (two hands needed); -1/2, as the limitation on his variable power pool.

The state alchemists watches would be an aid to the alchemy VPP, I don't believe it's ever been said how much it amplifies their powers, so that's up to you as to how much of an aid it is. I would use the standard effect modifier, so that it always gives the same boost though.

The red stones would be there own VPP (based upon the size of the stone) with just an OIF or OAF limitation (counting on if in example, it's a ring (OIF) or say an expose amulet (OAF)), as they don't need equivalent exchange. I would also though give them an END reserve based upon their size and a side effect that when the END reserve was used up rebound occurs (which is basically that the ring tries to use part of your body to make up for it's lack of power, at least that's how I understood it). The red stones should just require basic knowledge of alchemy to be used without a skill roll, as even that false priest (who was a fairly weak alchemist) was able to use one to make a machine gun. Which from what I can tell isn't all that easy with all those moving parts and the bullets being necessary.

You could also use something like the Gift from fantasy hero where you get a VPP with so many active points per point you have in the skill alchemy. This might be the way I would go to show that skill equals power in alchemy.