How do you track END?

atlascott

Guest WhammeWhamme

Re: How do you track END?

When playing HERO FtF I just made sure noone COULD run out of END.

In a PBeM it's fairly easy, since there's always notepad.

I'd probably recommend going with the GM has a combat sheet on which s/he notes down everyone's END/STUN expenditures. No arguments, no losing it, and it gives him an idea of how people are doing.

When playing HERO FtF I just made sure noone COULD run out of END.In a PBeM it's fairly easy' date=' since there's always notepad.I'd probably recommend going with the GM has a combat sheet on which s/he notes down everyone's END/STUN expenditures. No arguments, no losing it, and it gives him an idea of how people are doing.[/quote']Yes, I think the GM has to keep track. To avoid player 'fudging' if for no other reason. And the other reason - so he has an idea of what's going on - is pretty good too.

Yes' date=' I think the GM has to keep track. To avoid player 'fudging' if for no other reason. And the other reason - so he has an idea of what's going on - is pretty good too.

[/quote']Personally I think the GM has enough to do. Sad if players feel the need to fudge, but I suppose we have to be realistic: it can happen, although I I don't think anyone I play with does it, at least not on purpose.What we tend to do (apart from the comedy answer I gave above) is simply this: everyone records their own END, using whatever method they feel is appropriate (when I'm playing it tends to be pencil on character sheet, using numbers not check boxes, new character sheet printed for each session), but the GM announces that the player should record END used at the conclusion of their charater's phase, and if anyone is not sure how much then they ask. The reminder is all anyone ever really needs, in my experience. :) Very often, as a GM I am quite surprised to find players announcing they are burning STUN as they are out of END, or falling unconscious as they are out of STUN, but I think that is a feature. I mean, why would the GM need to know unless there is fudging on the GM's part afoot, and I think the players often appreciate the more honest approach.

I'm dead on with Sean here (almost called him TRL). The GM has enough to do and I'm not there to be a wargame umpire. It's sad if someone's ego is so fragile they have to boost their chances unfairly in a game, then again a lot of things in life are sad. If they're having fun and everyone else (including me of course) is having fun, then whether they fudged on their END is the least of my worries.

As Sean says, I've had the same reaction - "huh, you're low on END?" "oh, that blow knocked you out, really?" Within reason anyway, I do have a general idea of course as I suspect Sean does. I will occasionally ask someone, as aforementioned, if they remembered to track their END but I'm not about to audit them (at least not the experenced players I'm with, someone brand new I might want to work with them just because they obviously need to be sure they've learned correctly).

I could see this causing a little bit of hard feelings if the group has been tracking their own END without serious GM oversight. It might seem to be questioning whether they're really doing so correctly/accurately. Just a general note on the matter' date=' not suggesting it shouldn't be approached. [/quote']

I'm not expecting any hard feelings. I have a pretty decent group of (inexperienced) players. I'm planning on suggesting it as a method of keeping track of END, not of me using a heavy handed tool to maintain honesty. I don't really have a problem with that. Everybody pretty much honest, just absent minded. There's been enough times that I've asked what someone's END was, then they go and spend a minute going over the past Turn of combat and realize they only have 10 and can't do something they had been planning on without taking STUN. They might actually like the idea of of having a keen visual reference to how much END they have available so they can pace themselves easier.

Of course, they might just look at me like I'm Hitler when I suggest it... so I'm leaving it up to them whether or not to use it.

I'm not expecting any hard feelings. I have a pretty decent group of (inexperienced) players. I'm planning on suggesting it as a method of keeping track of END, not of me using a heavy handed tool to maintain honesty. I don't really have a problem with that. Everybody pretty much honest, just absent minded. There's been enough times that I've asked what someone's END was, then they go and spend a minute going over the past Turn of combat and realize they only have 10 and can't do something they had been planning on without taking STUN. They might actually like the idea of of having a keen visual reference to how much END they have available so they can pace themselves easier.

Of course, they might just look at me like I'm Hitler when I suggest it... so I'm leaving it up to them whether or not to use it.

Cool, saying it also to "you" as in anyone as much as you yourself, I figured you know your group well having read your posts in general.

And since they're having a problem tracking END well, then this sounds like a good idea. Personally, this is where I metagame a bit to be honest - I find it easy, as a player, to lose track or forget something when it comes to END so I almost always design my characters to have enough END or be 0 END-driven so that I don't have to track it!