Impervious to Magic

MarioTani

hy

I was building a magical power to be impervious to magical effects.

I mean being totally immune to magical effects.

I've come up with this write-up:

Desolidification (affected by magic) (40 AP); Only to protect against magical effects (-1) Cannot pass trough solid objects (-1/2) Restrainable (-1/2) concentration (1/2 DCV, -1/4) Gestures (-1/4) 2 continuing charges (20 minutes) (-1/4). RP 11

The special effect is a magical tattoo on the chest that has to be touched to be activated and when activated makes the bearer impervious to magic. Magical effects react like the tattoed man was not there at all so magical alarms would not detect him exactly like a fireball would pass trough him without making contact with him but the powers would be there for all the others, so the magical alarm would be still functioning and the fireball would keep on going in the same direction as if it would have missed the bearer (even if the witnesses would have seen it pass trough the bearer). Obviously the bearer could not interact with anything magical when the power is active.

Maybe I could let out Restrainable as it is an actual limtiation only while casting, but it's not the point here, in fact I've noticed that a similar resistance is usually brought (in official suplpements like grimoire and grimoire II) with dispel or power defence. My problem with them is that:

1. Dispel eliminates the power while I need a form of personal immunity to magical effects that stay in place for the rest of the world.

2. FF Armor PowerD. all of them stopthe magical effect while i figure it keeps going exactly like the bearer was not there!

some suggestions?

alternative write-up?

let me hear what you think?

Re: Impervious to Magic

Desolidification would only protect against the physical effects of magic. You would have to link mental defense and power defense for total immunity I would think - mental defense to protect against Sorcery and power defense to protect against magical Drains and such. I know what you're saying about how you want the power to make your character invisible to the effects of all magic, but there are no absolutes in Hero. See page 250 of Fantasy Hero for some ideas with regards to absolute effects.

Unless you have house rules regarding magic.

I think FH mentions AD (Arcane Defense). The concept being that Energy Defense is somewhat useless in fantasy settings, and if all magic shares a common source (in your particular setting that is), then perhaps it could also have a common defense.

So it depends on setting magic system, really.

For me, I made it expensive, but simple (although it takes long to write it out):

10 pts:

Spell Resistance: FF (1 PD/1 ED/1 Mental Defense/1 Power Defense/1 Flash Defense: Mental Group/1 Flash Defense: Touch Group/1 Flash Defense: Smell/Taste Group/1 Flash Defense: Sight Group/1 Flash Defense: Hearing Group), Inherent (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (20 Active Points); Only Works Against Magic (-1/2), Always On (-1/2)

Thus, the character gets 1 point of defense against all forms of magic for 10 points.

For me, I made it expensive, but simple (although it takes long to write it out):

10 pts:

Spell Resistance: FF (1 PD/1 ED/1 Mental Defense/1 Power Defense/1 Flash Defense: Mental Group/1 Flash Defense: Touch Group/1 Flash Defense: Smell/Taste Group/1 Flash Defense: Sight Group/1 Flash Defense: Hearing Group), Inherent (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (20 Active Points); Only Works Against Magic (-1/2), Always On (-1/2)

Thus, the character gets 1 point of defense against all forms of magic for 10 points.

You're right...expensive, but simple. I like it! I'd be tempted to tack on the various Damage Reductions as well, though that really bumps up the price, esp. in conjunction with buying, say, 20 pips of "Spell Resistance".

Could you buy them as linked powers to make it cheaper?

I wouldn't - unless I am mistaken, a linked power works when the one it is linked to activates. If you linked it all to one part, it probably wouldn't work. Besides, if I remember how I built it, that is one power - it's all under Force Field. Just checked, yeah - it's all one power within Force Field.

• 2 weeks later...

hy

I was building a magical power to be impervious to magical effects.

I mean being totally immune to magical effects.

I've come up with this write-up:

Desolidification (affected by magic) (40 AP); Only to protect against magical effects (-1) Cannot pass trough solid objects (-1/2) Restrainable (-1/2) concentration (1/2 DCV, -1/4) Gestures (-1/4) 2 continuing charges (20 minutes) (-1/4). RP 11

This is exactly how you would do this, with 1 glaring error that I have highlighted. This should read affected by everything BUT magic. only to protect against magical effects.(-1):

This is exactly how you would do this, with 1 glaring error that I have highlighted. This should read : affected by everything BUT magic. only to protect against magical effects.(-1)

You could try another color, please - my eyes just bled... :weep: