What limitation level for "turtle mode" Desolid?

Blackberry

I'm building a character (same one as in the Stretching question) who has some time-manipulation powers.

One of her abilities is to actually freeze herself in time and exist in the same spot in space but stay in time-stasis until a certain time period has elapsed (which she must decide when she activates the power).

I've bought it as Desolidification with a massive Life Support linked. On the Desolid, I've got Concentration 0 DCV and Cannot Pass Through Anything, but how much of a limitation is Can't Actually Move, Do Anything, Or Take Any Action Whatsoever Until Time Period Is Up? Does that merit a -2?

Re: What limitation level for "turtle mode" Desolid?

I'd get by the whole question by building it as EDM - to another time. SFX being the character freezes in place. You aren't really there, so nothing (including attacks which affect desolid, or that one SFX that affects you while desolid) can hurt you, but you can't do anything either.

I'd get by the whole question by building it as EDM - to another time. SFX being the character freezes in place. You aren't really there' date=' so nothing (including attacks which affect desolid, or that one SFX that affects you while desolid) can hurt you, but you can't do anything either.[/quote']

That is exactly how I've modeled it myself, Hugh. Good call! ;)

I'm building a character (same one as in the Stretching question) who has some time-manipulation powers.

One of her abilities is to actually freeze herself in time and exist in the same spot in space but stay in time-stasis until a certain time period has elapsed (which she must decide when she activates the power).

I've bought it as Desolidification with a massive Life Support linked. On the Desolid, I've got Concentration 0 DCV and Cannot Pass Through Anything, but how much of a limitation is Can't Actually Move, Do Anything, Or Take Any Action Whatsoever Until Time Period Is Up? Does that merit a -2?

This power sounds like a variation of a Slaver-Stasis Field from Niven's Known Space universe. A much easier build would be to use Extra-Dimensional Movement with a visibility limitation to reflect that he doesn't really move but is otherwise impossible to affect until his timer goes off.

HM

This power sounds like a variation of a Slaver-Stasis Field from Niven's Known Space universe. A much easier build would be to use Extra-Dimensional Movement with a visibility limitation to reflect that he doesn't really move but is otherwise impossible to affect until his timer goes off.

That was exactly the inspiration for it, and thanks. I'll have to reread XDM when I get home, as I've never had a character use it in almost 25 years of playing HERO. :)

That was exactly the inspiration for it' date=' and thanks. I'll have to reread XDM when I get home, as I've never had a character use it in almost 25 years of playing HERO. :)[/quote']Naturally I can't find it right now, but there is an official example somewhere about using XDim to create the classic "unbreachable ward" effect. The object/location being protected is actually "somewhere/somewhen else", and that's why it can't be affected by anything, but the special effect is "the ward simply cannot be breached by the application of any power you can bring to bear!"

In the case of the Slaver stasis field, you'd probably have to buy the Power with the "related group of dates" Adder. Define "related group of dates" to be "the point at which the field is turned off". This can either be set in advance (when the power's activated) or when the Power gets turned off via some other means (the Rescue Button, being put inside another stasis field, etc.) -- whatever works for your particular concept of the field.

The only problem I'd have with the EDM stasis, or even the Desol stasis, is that the character is still present. Basically that means he's an obsticle. Other characters can use him for cover. If he goes into stasis in a doorway he will block it. Heaven forbid he turns this on while falling out of an airplane...

I'd work something out concerning the SFX of the ability to make sure little kinks like this are worked out. Either EDM or Desol should work fine, though if you go with EDM, don't forget you still have to buy the Life Support (but not as much, just Longevity and no need to eat primarily).

...though if you go with EDM' date=' don't forget you still have to buy the Life Support (but not as much, just Longevity and no need to eat primarily).[/quote']

I don't think you need Life Support if you just say the EDM is actually moving you to another point in time.

As for the Desolidification option (which really would need some supplemental Life Support), I would call the inability to do anything at all an Extreme Side Effect that always occurs when you use the Power. I think that does come to a -2.

I don't think you need Life Support if you just say the EDM is actually moving you to another point in time.

That's true, but I was just picturing EDM to a pocket dimension rather than through time. I suppose the cost would be about the same though. :)