Another: StarWars in my Sandbox

Rick

Re: Another: StarWars in my Sandbox

Luck as strong in the force... really? First I like the idea that "There is no such thing as luck" meaning everyone should have some access to it. Secondly, Luck is at best random, only working on 6's and has no real combat application. Third, with the first two points, you have no control over luck, the GM decides when you get to apply luck.

Except that Hero points, Force Points, Drama Points, Void Points, whatever you want to call them give a player a modicrum of control that luck doesn't offer. Force points are a sound idea that can make the game more fun for the players; now they have a better chance of performing cinematicly awesome actions.

Sanity works great in hero too as a cumulative Transform (based on ego) that exists over all humans in the universe. See a Zombie a take 1/2d6 transform, see Cthulhu take 5d6 or so.

I give Jedi in my Star Wars campaigns Overall Skill Levels to represent their mastery of The Force. The Force is represented via a Multipower and basically the first slot in every Jedi or Sith's multipower is an Overall Skill Level slot. The more points in the Multi-power pool, the more Overall Skill Levels they can bring to the table. Imagine someone like Yoda with a 90pt Multipower pool being able to field +9 Overall Skill Levels when fighting or whatever (since they basically affect everything) which would make fighting a very powerful Jedi pretty much suicide for all but the most skilled of warriors. It's actually not as bad as it sounds since in my campaign, the "average" Jedi only sports a Multi-power pool of around 30 points. Also keep in mind that when using their Overall Skill Levels, depending on how many they are using, it is taking up points in their Multi-power so they are denying themselves access to their other Force Powers, so it pretty much keeps things in check by having them a part of the Multi-power.

Re: Another: StarWars in my Sandbox

That is a neat idea. Can they mix and match? Meaning are the multipower slots ultra or flexible?

Davee

Yes, they can mix and match. The "Force Mastery" slot (OSL's) are always flexible. The other slots I leave up to the player. For example, a jedi might have a Force Multiopower of 40 points. He has a missle deflection slot that takes 20 points. The character could activate this slot and still have 20 points left to apply +2 overall skill levels to the task.

It worked out pretty well in practice. The jedi could fight like the dickens, and even keep up with professional dedicated warriors. Jedi who excell at fighting were essentially untouchable in combat except by another Force Warrior...which is how hings seem to stand in the source material.