Another: StarWars in my Sandbox

Rick

I'm going to start this thread here to lay out the StarWars campaign I'll be running soon, every few days I will attempt to post new sections, today we'll start with a World synopsis of my post ep VI galaxy, force rules, the new Jedi arts and the everyman skills. Please respond as you wish. Please pardon typo's I'm finishing this at 4 in the a.m. here in San Diego.

Re: Another: StarWars in my Sandbox

Just for fun.

LightSaber:

Hand killing Attack (Energy): 2.5d6 ALVD (Combat Luck, +1 1/2), Does Body (+1), Reduced end (0end, +1/2) (160 Active points), OAF (-1), Independant (-2), Has no effect on energy shielding (-1/2), No Knockback (-1/2), -1 stunX (-1/2), No Strength to damage (-1/2), Str min (6, -1/2), real weapon (-1/4)....Real points: 24

The only way to add damage is through Martial arts DC's (individual ones will cost 6pts/DC). This is to avoid an explosion in hand to hand damage.

Coming soon, Combat and Adventure as well as Package deals and a revision of the basic force powers.

Edit, you know these are actually word docs, is there a way to upload them in that format.

FORCE POINTS FORCE POINTS FORCE POINTS!!!

WHY WHY WHY?

Almost every Star Wars conversion, add on, writeup or game I have ever seen has decided they needed to amend the game system with the old WEG Force Points.

Why?

The sheer concept of force points is taking something as fluid and analog as the force and making it as klunky as humanly possible. You might as well add in some Jesus points in a modern day game.

Or not, it's an easy, smooth, representation of how the force is used in by characters to make things easier and show the high level of competeny they have. Its very fluid and very easy to use, especially in this write up. Some systems are on to things and I don't mind borrowing and re-envisioning when it's appropriate (same with breaking up force powers into 3 easily definable groups). I'm sure there are other ways for some one to "Use the force", but since all that does is make them better at whatever task they are doing, levels seem the best bet.

I'm sorry you don't like it, it would have been nice if you'd stated that with out the hissy fit though. I'd then atleast care to elaberate further into my reasoning, but what are you going to do :angel: .

I personaly made my farseeing skill differently.

Clairsentience Hearing&Sight(+10), Precognation(+20), Retrocognation(+20)

Modifiers:

Megascale 100,000 LY (+5)

1 Use per week (-2.5)

Concentration: 0 DCV, Must Concentrait Throughout (-1)

1 Hour Meditation Time (-3)

Active Cost: 420

Real Cost: 56

BTW a few questions. How many points are you making an average PC in your campaign? Are you doing force powers primarly in frameworks?

Nice ideas though.

Just for fun.

LightSaber:

Hand killing Attack (Energy): 2.5d6 ALVD (Combat Luck, +1 1/2), Does Body (+1), Reduced end (0end, +1/2) (160 Active points), OAF (-1), Independant (-2), Has no effect on energy shielding (-1/2), No Knockback (-1/2), -1 stunX (-1/2), No Strength to damage (-1/2), Str min (6, -1/2), real weapon (-1/4)....Real points: 24

The only way to add damage is through Martial arts DC's (individual ones will cost 6pts/DC). This is to avoid an explosion in hand to hand damage.

Wait Don't killing attacks always do Body? Shouldn't it have Armor Penitration? Are you using a different version? Combat luck is a Talent in mine... I'm so confused here.

Actually I didn't even read it, I just saw mention of Force Points. I have seen force points added to every star wars remix/conversion I have ever seen. I just don't see the need to amend the system with that.

I am of the belief that it all works just fine with the existing rules system. Luke, Vader, the Emporer, Obi-Wan, etc all used all sorts of force powers, and used the force in many ways, but they never used any force points!

I am fairly hardcore about using the system as-is when it comes to Hero. After all, Hero works, it works for everything, and overall has less issues than other systems.

Now D&D? I have to house rule D&D left and right. Especially my beloved "Rules Cyclopedia" version of D&D. Rules Cyclopedia D&D has a few things that look like somehow they were NEVER playtested (somehow, never tested in 15 years). Like the fact that a level one thief has exactly a 1 percent chance to both locate and disarm a trap. 1 percent? Why bother even trying. By level 10 it has risen to a paltry 27 percent. I keep reworking the thieve's skills charts and they are still never enough. Beginning 50+50 Hero System thieves are immensely more competent than even level 10 D&D thieves.

Matter of fact, I am bringing my latest reworking of the rules Cyclopedia D&D thief page over to the comp with the printer to print it now. That is the one GREAT thing about EDITABLE PDF files. I can change the rules and print out the changed rules!

My speed substitute will be in my next update coming somewhere between tonight and wednsday. I already have the new combat and adventuring rules down and most of the advanced power templates down. I'll do a short equipment list (in a Jedi campaign I don't need 32 different blasters), and hopefully I'll of worked out the character packages (Jedi knights, at apprentices and Knight levels, as well as Krath, and Sith for those playing pre-epVI) and how many points I'll build characters on; I'm currently leaning towards 150 for Padawans and 200 for Kinghts (as my group likes to have PC's being Knights/masters and others being their padawan). There are also many revisions as play testing has proven little tweeks were needed here and there.

As for my Hero philosophy. You'll notice I do full write ups of everything, inspite of the fact that the PC's don't pay full price for everything, here they pay for a skill then one point for access to the power and ability to create variations on the fly. It's still hero it's just that the Players interface with the system differently now. I use hero to create systems, not just straight out of the box. It's fun for me and allows for a large amount of variance in the style and feel of the game. Plus now Jedi and non-Jedi sould actually work in the same game at the same cost (or atleast close to the same cost).

Trobon, the avld's do stun only, last I remember anyways. It takes Does Body (+1) to do body with either NNDs or AVLDs. I trust, I'll be corrected by someone else if my interpratation of the rules is wrong on this account. As to whether or not I use frame works, :), the word documents answer that question and the next version coming will be 98% the same, just some minor tweaks here and there.

Oh yes, and the next update will have all of the documents combined into one "..fully armed and operational" word document.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Actually I didn't even read it, I just saw mention of Force Points. I have seen force points added to every star wars remix/conversion I have ever seen. I just don't see the need to amend the system with that.

!

Well it's a bit like SAN points isn't it? The early game shapes people's perspective on how things work. That's why you keep seeing people trying to wedge a SAN point system into every squid campaign, even in something like GURPS which actually has a better mechanic for driving people insane with fear. Personally I'd just go with Luck to represent being strong in the Force in Hero.

Well it's a bit like SAN points isn't it? The early game shapes people's perspective on how things work. That's why you keep seeing people trying to wedge a SAN point system into every squid campaign' date=' even in something like GURPS which actually has a better mechanic for driving people insane with fear. Personally I'd just go with Luck to represent being strong in the Force in Hero.[/quote']

Luck as strong in the force... really? First I like the idea that "There is no such thing as luck" meaning everyone should have some access to it. Secondly, Luck is at best random, only working on 6's and has no real combat application. Third, with the first two points, you have no control over luck, the GM decides when you get to apply luck.

Except that Hero points, Force Points, Drama Points, Void Points, whatever you want to call them give a player a modicrum of control that luck doesn't offer. Force points are a sound idea that can make the game more fun for the players; now they have a better chance of performing cinematicly awesome actions.

Sanity works great in hero too as a cumulative Transform (based on ego) that exists over all humans in the universe. See a Zombie a take 1/2d6 transform, see Cthulhu take 5d6 or so.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Yeah I just found this thread. I read through the docs. very cool stuff. Did you playtest it more?

I have for years now been trying to find a great Star Wars rpg. I have played the West End, and Saga edition. I am toying with using the FATE system. But some of the stuff here seems like a good start.

Dave