Defenders of Macab City

JmOz

This is a campeign Idea I am working on for a Dark Champions* campeign. All the characters live and operate in "Macob City" (The city name is a place holder). It is a dark city full of corupt cops and politicians, insane villains, etc...

The main city hero was "The Fox", until he is injured in battle and crippled. The Fox does not give up however and uses his great resources to fund a group of lesser heroes (Going so far to recruit some to the cape & Cowl) to keep his city safe.

The characters are given a "Fox Den" (a base, I see an old warehouse right now, out on the docks), some Fox-Cycles (Motorcycles, non-combat but a couple improvements like a gps locator, radio, etc...), maybe even a helicoptor and or a boat (all vehicles will be for non-combat use only).

The Fox monitors things, tracks them, and guides them (NPC mentor/plot device)

I must emphasise this point: The characters should be street level heroes, not above street level, powers like flight are most likely inapropriate, as is such high defences that conventional weapons are ineffective

Characters are to be built with the following guidelines:

Base Points: 150

Disads: 100

Max disads from a catagory: 35

DC 6-10

CV 6-10

Def 10-20 (res 3-10)

Skill 15- Max

Speed 3-6

Dex 15-25

Active Points in powers: 35, Focus based powers can go as high as 62

Powers should for the most part be enhancements on the normal human abilities and not be flashy, character may for instance have enhanced senses (any kind), but not an energy blast. Magic and Psi powers are permited with permision from the GM but should be difficult to use (Heavily limited)

Characters must pay points for equipment

Reluctance to kill is the default, most characters should take a CvK between 10-20 points

* To me Dark Champions is a genre of Champions involving street heroes instead of Steve Long's insane insistence that it is really what I know to be called Action Hero: Modern Adventure Game using the Hero System. Maybe someday with the right medicine his insanity will be cured :D

Re: Defenders of Macab City

I have a package deal for the characters as well, it is QUITE EXPENSIVE, but realise that it covers most of there offencive and defencive abilities.

It is actualy 4 package deals, 2 of them better described as equipment...

25 SUIT (All slots OIF)

10 5/5 Armor

03 Night Vision

03 Flash Defence Sight

07 HRRH (affected as raido & Hearing)

02 Also the people who wear the suit normaly buy +2/+2d6 Reputation: Fear in criminals

25 BELT

20 MP OIF

1u Boomerangs: 6d6 EB; 6 Recoverable Charges (-1/4), range based on str(-1/4)

1u Skill Kits: +2 to Skills

1u Swinglines: 20" Swinging, 0 End (+1/2), OAF (-1/2)

Choose one

1u Flash Grenades: 3d6 Flash Sight/Hearing, explosions (+1/2), Beam (-1/4), range based on str(-1/4), 12 Charges (-1/4)

1u Smoke Cloud Grenades: Change Enviroments 3" -5 PER rolls, Beam (-1/4), range based on str(-1/4), 12 Charges (-1/4)

1u Blastarangs: 4d6 EB, Explosion (+1/2), Beam (-1/4), range based on str(-1/4), 12 Charges (-1/4)

1u Glue Grenades: 1d6 Entangle (2 DEF); Sticky (+1/2), Explosion (+1/2); Beam (-1/4), range based on str(-1/4), 12 Charges (-1/4)

Choose one

1u Microrebreather: LS: Need not Breath: 1 Continuing Fuel Charge lasting 1 hour

1u Microrecorder: Eididic Memory 2 Continuing Fuel Charged lasting 1 hour, 4 clips; OAF (-1)

1u Homing Device: Sense Tracers, 360 degrees, +3 TS, Range Var Advantage (+1/4 Advantage, +1/2)

25 Martial Arts

15 Melee

04 Martial Strike

03 Martial Throw

04 Martial Dodge

04 Martial Block

10 Range

03 Defensive Shot

04 Disarm

03 trip (Custom manuver)

Skills

5 +1 Martial Arts

3 Stealth

3 Shadowing

3 Interogation

3 Teamwork

3 Tactics

3 Streewise

1 Criminology

1 Forensic Medicine

Disads

15 Secret ID

10 Hunted: Watched by Fox

Note, it is intentional that if you put this on a 75+75 hero you would come up with a 150+100 Low powered Super Hero

I need to reread the armory rules, but as it stands I do not intend to use much from the current DC (but much of the atmosphere should be DC)

As it is they would be spending 100 points, and 25 disad points, making the characters pre training/equipting 75+75 characters

I suggest not making boomerangs a standard pice of the package but rather let it be used by one character only.

Good sugestion, I will move it into the first Choose one and increase that one to choose two. I don't think limiting it to one character is appropriate however, having said that I am thinking of renameing it to "Combat Discs", let the shape be determined by the player.

What do you think of the setting out of curiosity? As I described it to one player imagine if Batman had become Oracle and you are on the right track...

A real influence is the Batman Beyond show BTW, I love the idea of the retired Super Hero training a new kid, decided to expand it and to make it more sudden

A few other tidbits I am going to do:

After "The Accident" crime has marketably increased. Wether Fox worked alone or not is yet to be determined, if he does have a sidekick he will most likely be the character who is the new team field leader.

The police are overall overworked (and a lot of corruption in the ranks), many cops however feel abandoned by the Foxes disapearence and will not be keen on helping the PC's right off. Have a few Cop characters already planed out to interact with the PC's

The town use to be home to an insane "But Brillent" Archetect with a habit of making buildings in the shape of huge household items (Typewriters and such). Usualy this will be something odd to make a scenen memorable, but ocasionaly Super Villains will use it to go along with there theme

The city criminal element has been getting more bold, so the heroes are being sent out on street crime first...

The setting is excellent you get both back-story and reason to band together right from the start and the retired superhero will work very well as a mentor, however I remember that Wayne in Batman beyond was stubborn and somewhat of a control freak. This could frustrate the players if you do it "out of the blue" so I suggest that you let the Fox be a little more hands off. Or you could have him sticking their nose in their business all the time so that they get used to it. That is risky however.

Sorry, did not notice your questions:

Villains will be a assortment of costumed villains, mobsters, street gangs, killers, etc...

Most of the costumed villains will be built similarly to the players in construction, the more the players choose to have off ball abilities the more the villains will

Other heroes will be around in the world, but not in the city, maybe one or two "Killer-Vigilante's"

This sounds a lot like the campaign I currently run. I really like the unifying tie-in of the injured/retired hero, and the lower powered setting tends to make the players more inventive in their tactics in my experience, rather than relying on flashy powers. My players have shown me on numerous occasions just how "super" a power like night vision can be against normal street criminals and the like.

Well the City is still searching for a name but the working name has changed to "Dark city"

I stated out Fox, he came in as a 400 point character (50 points was in bases and vehicles however), I'll post him later, probably on champions as he has a definate Champions feel to him

I got the first 2 character ideas approved, and had to veto one other

Character 1: I was told he wanted him to be like Marv (Sin City), Constantine (Movie version), and Half vampire (In otherwords Blade)

I actualy modeled him after Luke Cage somewhat, giving him brickish stats (Str 40, DEF 20/20, rDEF 10/10)

The next character idea is a regenerator.

The character I had to veto was someone with energy powers

One thing you could do to make an energy projector type more suitable to the campaign would be re-defining the sfx of their powers to a more street level theme. Assuming a typical EP with flight, EB,and forcefield (though i have no idea what your player has presented to you)....the EB could be wireless taser darts for a ranged attack or some kind of shock glove/gauntlet for a no range one as opposed to shooting an actual bolt of lightning, and maybe gliding patagium on their uniform....like Terry has in Batman Beyond, instead of flight. The Force field would be right out though...and would be covered by their uniform armor anyway. Though a lot of this stuff would be pretty redundant anyway since your group would have a lot of EB's from their package deals, except maybeto let them vary the defenses they affect.

First Character, first draft: Foxy,

Foxy was a sidekick to the Fox, she is a trained criminoligest and a decent Martial artist.

Her purpose on the team is to be "The skill Person". She is the primary investigator for the team, and has the voice of experience in the city

Foxy

Player: Ardis Wedel

Val Char Cost
15 STR 5
20 DEX 30
15 CON 10
9 BODY -2
15 INT 5
11 EGO 2
15 PRE 5
18 COM 4
10/15 PD 4
10/15 ED 4
5 SPD 20
6 REC 0
30 END 0
25 STUN 0
6" RUN02" SWIM03" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 87

Cost Power END
Suit, all slots OIF (-1/2)
10 1) Armor (5 PD/5 ED) (15 Active Points) 0
6 2) HRRP (Radio Group) (12 Active Points); Sense Affected As More Than One Sense Hearing (-1/2) 0
3 3) Nightvision (5 Active Points) 0
3 4) Sight Group Flash Defense (5 points) (5 Active Points) 0
20 UT Belt: Multipower, 30-point reserve, (30 Active Points); all slots OIF (-1/2)
1u 1) Combat Disks: EB 6d6 (30 Active Points); 6 Recoverable Charges (-1/4), Range Based On STR (-1/4) [6 rc]
1u 2) Flash Grenades: Sight and Hearing Groups Flash 3d6, Explosion (+1/2) (30 Active Points); 12 Charges (-1/4), Range Based On STR (-1/4) [12]
1u 3) Stun-Bombs: EB 4d6, Explosion (+1/2) (30 Active Points); Range Based On STR (-1/4), 12 Charges (-1/4), Reduced Penetration (-1/4) [12]
1u 4) Bola's: Entangle 2d6, 4 DEF (30 Active Points); 6 Recoverable Charges (-1/4), Range Based On STR (-1/4) [6 rc]
1u 5) Rebreather: LS (Self-Contained Breathing), 1 Continuing Fuel Charge lasting 1 Hour (+0) (10 Active Points) [1 cc]
1u 6) Swinglines: Swinging 20", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1) 0
1u 7) Micro-Camera: Eidetic Memory, 4 clips of 2 Continuing Fuel Charges lasting 1 Hour each (+0) (5 Active Points); OAF (-1)
1u 8) Skill Kits: +2 with all non-combat Skills (16 Active Points); Appropriate F/X only (-1/2)
Powers Cost: 50

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver
Combat Throwing
3 1) Defensive Shot: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +2 DCV, Range +0, Strike
4 2) Ranged Disarm: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, Range +0, Disarm, 30 STR to Disarm
3 3) Trip: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +0 DCV, Range +0, Target Falls, Strike +v/5
Fox-Fu
4 1) Martial Disarm: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, Disarm; 25 STR to Disarm
4 2) Martial Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort
4 3) Martial Strike: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 5d6 Strike
3 4) Legsweep: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, -1 DCV, 4d6 Strike, Target Falls
1 Weapon Element: Empty Hand, Boomerangs and Throwing Clubs, Thrown Grenades
Martial Arts Cost: 26

Cost Skill
10 +1 Overall
3 Acrobatics 13-
3 Breakfall 13-
1 Bugging 8-
3 Climbing 13-
3 Combat Driving 13-
1 Combat Piloting 8-
3 Computer Programming 12-
3 Concealment 12-
3 Criminology 12-
3 Deduction 12-
3 Scholar
2 1) CK: Dark City (3 Active Points) 12-
1 2) KS: Dark City High Society (2 Active Points) 11-
1 3) KS: Dark City Police (2 Active Points) 11-
2 4) KS: Dark City Super Villains (3 Active Points) 12-
1 5) KS: Dark City Underworld (2 Active Points) 11-
3 Forensic Medicine 12-
3 Lockpicking 13-
3 Paramedics 12-
3 Security Systems 12-
3 Shadowing 12-
3 Stealth 13-
3 Streetwise 12-
3 Teamwork 13-
Skills Cost: 70

Cost Perk
3 Well-Connected
3 1) Contact: Dr Roberts (Contact has useful Skills or resources, Good relationship with Contact) (4 Active Points) 11-
1 2) Contact: Lefty, Informant (Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact limited by identity) (2 Active Points) 11-
2 3) Contact: Police Chief Henderson (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact limited by identity, Good relationship with Contact) (3 Active Points) 8-
2 Reputation (A small to medium sized group) 11-, +2/+2d6
Perks Cost: 11

Cost Talent
6 Combat Luck (3 PD/3 ED)
Talents Cost: 6

Total Character Cost: 250

Val Disadvantages
5 DNPC: Jeeves 8- (Normal; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills)
20 Hunted: The Fox 11- (Mo Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)
15 Hunted: Fox Rogue Gallery 8- (Mo Pow, Harshly Punish)
10 Hunted: Tiger Claw 8- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)
15 Psychological Limitation: Code vs Killing (Common, Strong)
15 Psychological Limitation: Protective of the Innocent (Common, Strong)
5 Reputation: Hero, 11- (Known Only To A Small Group)
15 Social Limitation: Secret ID (Frequently, Major)

Disadvantage Points: 100

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

One thing you could do to make an energy projector type more suitable to the campaign would be re-defining the sfx of their powers to a more street level theme. Assuming a typical EP with flight' date=' EB,and forcefield (though i have no idea what your player has presented to you)....the EB could be wireless taser darts for a ranged attack or some kind of shock glove/gauntlet for a no range one as opposed to shooting an actual bolt of lightning, and maybe gliding patagium on their uniform....like Terry has in Batman Beyond, instead of flight. The Force field would be right out though...and would be covered by their uniform armor anyway. Though a lot of this stuff would be pretty redundant anyway since your group would have a lot of EB's from their package deals, except maybeto let them vary the defenses they affect.[/quote']

His second idea worked, it is a ninja, tying it in with some background elements...

Re: Defenders of Macab CitySecond Character is the afore mentioned brick character, he still has roughly 25 points to spendTrenchPlayer: Scott Prough

Val Char Cost
40 STR 30
18 DEX 24
25 CON 30
15 BODY 10
13 INT 3
15 EGO 10
20 PRE 10
8 COM -1
20 PD 12
20 ED 15
4 SPD 12
15 REC 4
50 END 0
50 STUN 2
7" RUN22" SWIM08" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 163
Cost Power END
10 Tough Skin: Damage Resistance (10 PD/10 ED) 0
Powers Cost: 10
Cost Skill
3 CK: Dark City 12-
3 Combat Driving 13-
3 Concealment 12-
2 Gambling (Craps, Poker) 12-
3 Interrogation 13-
3 KS: Automobiles 12-
3 KS: Dark City Underworld 12-
2 Language: Italian (fluent conversation)
2 Language: Spanish (fluent conversation)
3 Lockpicking 13-
3 Mechanics 12-
3 Stealth 13-
3 PS: Mechanic 12-
3 Streetwise 13-
2 Survival (Urban) 12-
2 TF: Common Motorized Ground Vehicles, Two-Wheeled Motorized Ground Vehicles
2 WF: Small Arms
Skills Cost: 45
Cost Perk
4 Contact: Janet Roberts, PD (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has useful Skills or resources) 11-
3 Contact: "Snaps" (Contact has significant Contacts of his own) 11-
Perks Cost: 7
Val Disadvantages
10 DNPC: Kid Sister 8- (Normal)
5 Distinctive Features: Alway wears a Trench Coat (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
15 Hunted: Police 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)
15 Hunted: Benefactor 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)
5 Physical Limitation: Requires Special Medical attention (-2 to all Medicine Rolls) (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing)
10 Psychological Limitation: Protective of Children (Uncommon, Strong)
5 Reputation: Ex-Con, 8-
10 Social Limitation: Ex-Con (Occasionally, Major)
Disadvantage Points: 75

Base Points: 150Experience Required: 0Total Experience Available: 0Experience Unspent: 0Total Character Cost: 225

Height: 1.89 m Hair: Brown
Weight: 125.00 kg Eyes: Brown
Appearance: 6'2" tall, built like a linebacker. For a costume he wears a trench coat, blue jeans, T-shirt, and a ski maskPersonality: Ox is a good guy, maybe somewhat violent, but he would give you the shirt off his back if you needed it. he loves kids and will go a long way to make sure they are safe.Quote:GO HOMEBackground: Ox killed the man, never said differently. The man had touched his kid sister, in ways that an eight year old girl never should be touched. He rung the man's neck.

When it turned out that the man was a cop, well that was a problem. Ox was convicted but do to the circumstances of the case was given only 5 years. He was released from jail a few months ago.

When he returned to the city he found that his old man had passed on leaving him and his sis the auto shop. Well she could handle the books he figured while he fixed the cars.

He was even getting a rep for getting some kids to clean up there act, stop taking drugs, studing, etc... It seemed that there were always kids hanging around the garage getting help with there homework, or just talking to ox.

All was going well, till one night a couple of months ago, he wandered into the back ally to have a smoke. He was jumped by someone, the next thing he knows he is being pumped full of some crap he would never have done in his life. The only thing that was said was "This is what you get for messing with my kids"

Ox is sure he was ment to die, and he got close that night, but in the morning his body was on the mend, and now he is stronger and tougher than he ever thought possible.

Powers/Tactics: After the attack Ox turned into something of a brick, his basic stratagy for a fight has not changed (Charge in, beat the crap out of them, ask questions, beat them some more)Campaign Use: Note: Character still has 25 points

Shinobi

Player: James Miller

Val Char Cost
15 STR 5
23 DEX 39
15 CON 10
15 BODY 10
14 INT 4
20 EGO 20
15 PRE 5
10 COM 0
5/10 PD 2
5/10 ED 2
4 SPD 7
6 REC 0
30 END 0
31 STUN 0
6" RUN02" SWIM03" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 104

Cost Power END
Suit, all slots OIF (-1/2)
10 1) Armor (5 PD/5 ED) (15 Active Points) 0
7 2) HRRP (Radio Group) (12 Active Points); Sense Affected As More Than One Sense Hearing (-1/4) 0
3 3) Nightvision (5 Active Points) 0
3 4) Sight Group Flash Defense (5 points) (5 Active Points) 0
3 5) +2 Stealth, Concealment, & Shadowing (6 Active Points); Only in Dark Places (-1/2)
20 Equipment: Multipower, 30-point reserve, (30 Active Points); all slots OIF (-1/2)
1u 1) Ninja-To: HKA 1d6 (1 1/2d6 w/STR), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1) 0
1u 2) Claws: (Total: 30 Active Cost, 15 Real Cost) HKA 1d6 (1d6+1 w/STR), +1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/4), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (26 Active Points); Restrainable (-1/2) (Real Cost: 13) plus +2 with Climbing (4 Active Points); Restrainable (-1/2) (Real Cost: 2) 3
1u 3) Shurikens: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6 (1d6+1 w/STR), +1 STUN Multiplier (+1/4), Autofire (3 shots; +1/4), Range Based on Str (+1/4) (26 Active Points); 6 Recoverable Charges (-1/4) [6 rc]
1u 4) Flash-Bang Grenades: Sight and Hearing Groups Flash 3d6, Explosion (+1/2) (30 Active Points); 12 Charges (-1/4), Range Based On STR (-1/4) [12]
1u 5) Smoke Bombs: Darkness to Sight Group 3" radius (30 Active Points); 6 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn each (-1/4), Range Based On STR (-1/4) [6 cc]
1u 6) Swinglines: Swinging 20", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1) 0
Powers Cost: 52

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver
4 Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort
4 Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort
4 Strike: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 6d6 Strike
3 Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, 4d6 +v/5, Target Falls
3 Legsweep: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, -1 DCV, 5d6 Strike, Target Falls
4 Knife Hand: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +0 DCV, HKA 1 1/2d6
4 Disarm: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, Disarm; 30 STR to Disarm
4 +1 HTH Damage Class(es)
Martial Arts Cost: 30

Cost Skill
6 +2 with Ninjutsu
9 Penalty Skill Levels: +3 vs. Weapon Familiarity Penalty with All Attacks
3 Acrobatics 14-
3 Analyze: Style 12-
3 Breakfall 14-
3 Climbing 14-
3 Concealment 12-
3 Electronics 12-
2 KS: Martial World 11-
3 KS: Ninjutsu 12-
2 Language: English (fluent conversation)
3 Lockpicking 14-
3 Paramedics 12-
3 Security Systems 12-
3 Shadowing 12-
3 Stealth 14-
3 Streetwise 12-
3 Teamwork 14-
3 Tracking 12-
Skills Cost: 64

Total Character Cost: 250

Val Disadvantages
15 Psychological Limitation: Honorable (Common, Strong)
5 Physical Limitation: Ignorant of American Culture (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing)
15 Social Limitation: Secret ID (Frequently, Major)
5 Distinctive Features: Tatoo (clan Marking) (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
15 Hunted: Benefactor 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)
15 Hunted: Ninja Clan 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)
20 Hunted: Clan Enemies 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)
10 Social Limitation: Subject to Order (Occasionally, Major)

Disadvantage Points: 100

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0