Character for review -- Polaris

Northstar

The one I'll be playing in the new Global Guardians 5 campaign. Magnetic power set, ala Magneto and Polaris, the latter whose name I also appropriated. (Magnetic based chararcters are really tough to name. Anything with magnet or derivations thereof in it tends to sound pretty dopey... the only other I came up with I somewhat liked was Magnos... and even that sounded too much like a villain or an action figure by Matel. ) Given 500 points to play with, I really made it a point to expand his powers beyond the typical EB/TK/FF/FW combo attributed to characters with magnetic powers. I thought of throwing in a small VPP to account for some of the more unusual things magnetism can do, but I'm aware VPP often doesn't make it past audit in GGU. In the end though I was happy with what I could cover with an MP/EC combo. But I'd still be interested to hear from anybody who has created a useful effect for magnetic powers that I didn't cover here... PolarisPlayer: Brian Shaffner

Val Char Cost
13 STR 3
23 DEX 39
23 CON 26
10 BODY 0
14 INT 4
15 EGO 10
16 PRE 6
18 COM 4
10/30 PD 7
12/32 ED 7
6 SPD 27
9 REC 2
46 END 0
40 STUN 11
6" RUN02" SWIM02 1/2" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 146
Cost Power END
90 Magnetic Mastery: Multipower, 90-point reserve
12m 1) Magnetic attraction / repulsion: Telekinesis (60 STR) (90 Active Points); Works only on ferrous metals Limited Group of Objects (-1/2) 9
15m 2) Electromagnetic bolt: Energy Blast 15d6 (75 Active Points) 7
15m 3) Magnetic force barrier: Force Wall (15 PD/15 ED) (75 Active Points) 7
15m 4) Generate magnetic field: Change Environment 32" radius, +7 Points of Telekinetic STR, Varying Effect Very Limited Group (+1/4) (75 Active Points) 7
5u 5) Gimme those! : Telekinesis (22 STR), Area Of Effect (3" Radius; +1), Selective (+1/4) (74 Active Points); Only ferrous metal objects Limited Group of Objects (-1/2) 7
7m 6) Wrapped with love & scrap metal: Entangle 7d6, 7 DEF (70 Active Points); OIF (Appropriate materials of opportunity; -1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2) 7
7u 7) It was working... : Dispel electronic device powers 8d6, All Powers Simultaneously (+2) (72 Active Points) 7
7u 8) Supress magnetic / electromagnetic fields 7d6, Area Of Effect (4" Radius; +1) (70 Active Points) 7
5u 9) Absorption 15d6 (energy, END Reserve) (75 Active Points); Only effective vs. magnetism, electrical or electromagnetic energy (-1/2) 0
20 Magnetic Mastery II: Elemental Control, 40-point powers
20 1) Magnetic force aura: Force Field (20 PD/20 ED) (40 Active Points) 4
25 2) Magnetic propulsion: Flight 20", x4 Noncombat (45 Active Points) 4
20 3) Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 75% (60 Active Points); Only vs. electrical, magnetic or electromagnetic energy Power loses about half of its effectiveness (-1) 0
30 Perceive magnetic fields and auras: Detect A Class Of Things 15- (Unusual Group), Discriminatory, Analyze, Range, Sense, Tracking 0
36 Internal power reserves: Endurance Reserve (200 END, 16 REC) (36 Active Points) 0
Powers Cost: 329
Cost Skill
5 KS 14-
4 Artistic Skill 15-
5 PS 14-
Everyman Skills (Cost: 0 Points)
0 1) Acting 8-
0 2) CA: Northern 11-
0 3) Climbing 8-
8 4) Computer Programming (Personal Computers, Cyberspace, Local Networks) 14-
0 5) Concealment 8-
0 6) Conversation 8-
0 7) Deduction 8-
0 8) Language: English (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)
0 9) Paramedics 8-
0 10) Persuasion 8-
0 11) PS: Scientific research 15-
0 12) Shadowing 8-
0 13) Stealth 8-
0 14) TF: Custom Adder, Small Motorized Ground Vehicles
Global Guardians Package (Cost: 3)
5 1) Fringe Benefit: International Police Powers
3 2) Criminology 12-
3 3) Deduction 12-
3 4) KS: Known Superhuman Criminals (INT-Based Roll)
3 5) Paramedics 12-
8 6) Team Base Donation
28 7) Team Communicator
-20 8) Hunted by Tarot 8 or less
-20 9) Monitored by All of the World's News Agencies 11 or less
-10 10) Social Limitation: Celebrity
Skills Cost: 25
Val Disadvantages
15 Dependent NPC: Randi Cross 11- (Normal)
20 Psychological Limitation: Will not kill (Common, Total)
15 Social Limitation: Secret identity (Frequently, Major)
10 Social Limitation: Reacts strongly against those who attempt to stifle freedom of expression (Occasionally, Major)
10 Social Limitation: Reacts badly towards religious biggots or holier than thou types (Occasionally, Major)
Disadvantage Points: 70

Base Points: 350Experience Required: 80Total Experience Available: 0Experience Unspent: 0Total Character Cost: 500

Height: 1.80 m Hair: Black, silver-white highlights
Weight: 77.00 kg Eyes: Silver-gray
Appearance: Morgan's eyes are an unusual silver-gray color. His hair is jet black, but has a silvery-white highlight under bright light. He wears it on the longish side, generally parted to the left. Morgan is strikingly good looking, and it tends to draw more attention than he is comfortable with. He is barely an inch shy of being six feet tall and has the lean, lightly muscled physique of a runner. As to costumes... he has been through several already and yet to settle on one. The most recent is a fairly simple affair that consists of a dark blue base, with black and silver accents. In any event, he does conceal his identity and wears a mask, the sort that covers the mid region of the face, which he reckons is enough to do the trick. One of his costumes sported a cape, but after it caught in a door at an inopportune time, he has eschewed them ever since.Personality: Quote:"Magnetic powers have taken a bad rap since Ian McKellan played that guy with the funny helmet in that movie. I'm here to prove good guys can wield'em too." Background: Powers/Tactics: Polaris is a master of magnetic forces, which he can harness for numerous effects. He may manipulate existing magnetic or electromagnetic fields, or generate his own. He may lift and manipulate metal objects, or people or things with metal attached to them. His powers are incredibly strong in this regard, and he may lift up to 100 tons. He can wield magnetic force as electromagnetic bolts or force fields for use as personal defense or defense of others. He has learned how to magnetically propulse himself in order to fly as well. He can absorb electromagnetic or electrical energy directed at him in order to replenish his own energy levels. Polaris can perceive magnetic and electromagnetic fields and phenomena. He can recognize other living beings by their magnetic auras, which are distinct to him.Campaign Use: 

Re: Character for review -- Polaris

A very nice "Magneto-lite" character. So long as your GM lets you use that END reserve for your powers, END won't be an issue. Otherwise, it's gonna be tough throwing off all those 7 END powers in 6 phases (and keep up the FF). Only things I would add are a 10D6 EB with zero END on it and a Penetrating RKA (or Major Transform w/ Variable advantage) limited to reshaping metal objects. That is if you have enough points. Also, depending on the GM, Damage Reduction in an EC is a no-no in 5E now. Steve knows why, but I don't. You may be asked to revise this.

(Note: if there is an on-line source for the character creation guidelines for GG5 please give us a link. It would help us to head off any submission problems you might have.)

Nice...I went a different route with the HRH Zaid al-Hussien AKA Turbine in GG2. Turbine (Global Guardians Admin named him...hehe) is a Magneto type electromagnetic controller so he is not limited to Magnetic only effects. Throwing lightning bolts (what do you get when you have a rapidly spinning magnet?) or tossing X-rays is well within his capacity.

One thing I would say is that the END reserve it too high. Combat is not going to last that long, and even going full tilt you are never going to tap even half that massive pool. 130-170 should be more than enough I would suspect.

I'll email you Turbine if you are interested.

Hawksmoor

I should have mentioned... yeah... disads and background skills are still a work in progress. I just wanted to get oppinions on the power set while I'm completing the character.

Agent, thanks, good suggestions on all acounts.

Hawksmoor, sure, would love to see a copy of Turbine... noticed he's not clickable yet from the GGU site. I remember when you sent the character's pic to the mercs list, I was curious what the power set was exactly... thought maybe kinetic energy or such. Sounds like a great design.

As to formatting characters for the boards... well, there's two ways you could do it. You could hand code the html, or else buy and use a copy of HeroDesigner which is what I did. It is useful for posting characters here, amongst other things. It has an export function with numerous outputs, including one specifically for the HERO boards...

Guest WhammeWhamme

Opps!! forgot another issue:

Too few background skills, the GGU has a rule of 25 or 35 I can't remember which but the points in Packages I do not think count towards that total beyond the cost of the package.

Hawksmoor

actually, it comes to 25 in skills, counting the package as only 3 pts.

Of course...

a) I don't think the GG package counts

B) even if it does, 25 pts out of a 500 pt character? c'mon. don't be a cheapskate. the minimum is for characters who have almost no useful skills; this guy just doesn't flesh it out.