Defenses that aren't 'defenses'

CrosshairCollie

Yeah, I know, stupid title, but I couldn't figure out a good way to phrase it. Basically, I need help with a character ... I'm trying to increase his defenses (PD/ED) with some special effect other than raw toughness. The 'Just Nicked Me!' power out of the Champions genre book confuses me for some reason, and while it'd be appropriate, I'm having trouble doing the 'Bulletproof Spandex' route.

As it sits, the character can generate a DCV of 15 between Dex and Levels, so I'm not worried about targetted stuff as much; it's the Area Effects that make me nervous. His present defenses are 6PD/10ED (base) and a level of Combat Luck (and I'm generally opposed to multiple levels of combat luck; you can only be *so* lucky).

The only idea I've come up with yet is 'Roll With It': 25%rPD/rED Damage Reduction, RSR: Acrobatics or equivalent activation roll to simulate, well, rolling with the attack, possibly with 'attack must be capable of knockback', since you can't roll with a gas attack, f'rinstance.:D

I believe the "just nicked me" effect signifies the effect of a character who is so wiley and slippery that it is nigh-impossible to land a solid shot. If you think about it, the Flash, Spider-Man, and even Batman keep themselves from being seriously hurt by powerful attacks by this method. All blows coming at them when they are prepared, are always glancing at best. People also buy damage reduction to simulate this.

with that high a DCv my guess is your dive for cover is ptretty good. That combined wih the half size AOE attacks normally are should be Ok for the most part.

I would strongly advise looking at a very simple way to reflect that you slip most of the brunt of an attack... buy stun. your high stun is an easy indicator of how much an attack hurts you.

Damage recution 50% requires an acrobatic skill roll for both PD and ED is going yo run you 40 points.

Compare this to the benefits of +10 CON and +20 stun or maybe +10 CON (-1/2 not vs figureds) and +27 stun or even the benefit of +40 stun.

How many successive hits in a combat will be required before you save as much stun from DR as you could have bought stun for the same points? Would you still be conscious? By the time 50% DR has saved you 40 stun, you have lost 40 stun... are you still awake?

When you are high DCv the frequency of hits is low, so the WALL OF DEFENSE or even DR is less effective than just being tough... ie taking a lot of damage.

If you are looking for an unusual method of making your character hard to take down in a fight there are different methods that I have found useful.

There is the popular DR. This is mostly meant for characters that are for some reason rather flexable, more so than normal humans. However this method tends to be rather expensive when compared to the results granted.

Another popular method is some form of defense/talent with limitation. This method is for skill-based characters who have trained their bodies to handle the manuvers necessary. This form, while cheaper than DR, requires conciderable rolls on the part of the character.

The method that I prefer is to increase either STUN or BODY of the character. This method does not require any apecial ability or training to pull off and is the cheapest when compared to the results granted.

I hope that this helps you and if anyone has any suggestions that are not listed either here or above then I would like to hear them and possibly try them.