Building "Flying Out of the Sun"

Elbandit

Howdy!

I had an idea for an winged charcter that would use the air combat tactic of flying out of the sun agianst her enemies. The tactic goes back to WWI where planes would essentially dive out of the sun, making them hard to see.

Question is how to really represent that. How does this look:

Invisibility to Sight Group , No Fringe, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Invisibility ends after first attack (+1/2) (60 Active Points); Only while flying in the sun (-2)

Re: Building "Flying Out of the Sun"

As a GM, I'd honestly not ask you to buy this with points. It's an environmental maneuver, like picking someone up and dropping them. I'd probably ask for an aerial flight maneuver (Dex or Flight roll) to position yourself... maybe Stealth to do so if there was a chance you'd be seen maneuver into position... then, when you attack, depending on circumstances... I'd just rule this as a Surprise Maneuver that gets plusses to your OCV... and depending on the target, they may or may not be at half DCV or even Zero DCV if not expecting an attack.

Hero can do a lot of things using skills and maneuvers without trying to buy every little concept with points. (That is my philosophy on the game, and one that is probably counter to a lot of DoJ's ideas as well as what others on this board might say. Only you can choose what works best for you.)

As a GM, I'd honestly not ask you to buy this with points. It's an environmental maneuver, like picking someone up and dropping them. I'd probably ask for an aerial flight maneuver (Dex or Flight roll) to position yourself... maybe Stealth to do so if there was a chance you'd be seen maneuver into position... then, when you attack, depending on circumstances... I'd just rule this as a Surprise Maneuver that gets plusses to your OCV... and depending on the target, they may or may not be at half DCV or even Zero DCV if not expecting an attack.

Hero can do a lot of things using skills and maneuvers without trying to buy every little concept with points. (That is my philosophy on the game, and one that is probably counter to a lot of DoJ's ideas as well as what others on this board might say. Only you can choose what works best for you.)

Fully agreed.

Cool... hope the GM goes along with it. Of course realize that a target with polarized lenses/flash defense... or otherwise expecting such an attack... suddenly it isn't a surprise maneuver. This is the downside of "role playing" combat rather than war gaming with mechanics. Hopefully you and the GM have a compatible style and it all works out.

One idea this brought to mind. A character with a "brightness" field, so that they are ALWAYS flying out of the sun.

The "Agggh, I can't see! What's that?" WHAMMO!

You could do this as take an action, flash opponent... next action attack... but your post got me thinking.

What about something simple like +4 OCV (five point levels) not vs. Flash Defense, only with Move-by Move Through, for a -1 total Lim or something.

Essentially 10 points for a "Out Of The Sun" maneuver that is sortof "constant"... no END cost, etc.

I like this. I might use it on a character. Simple build... everything neat is just SFX.

One idea this brought to mind. A character with a "brightness" field, so that they are ALWAYS flying out of the sun.

You could do this as take an action, flash opponent... next action attack... but your post got me thinking.

What about something simple like +4 OCV (five point levels) not vs. Flash Defense, only with Move-by Move Through, for a -1 total Lim or something.

How about a Constant, Explosion (or Area of Effect, Radius) Flash Attack? Seems simple enough, and could be darn effective!

How about a Constant' date=' Explosion (or Area of Effect, Radius) Flash Attack? Seems simple enough, and could be darn effective![/quote']

Might be flashing your friends all the time, too... and might be more expensive. Still, could definitely work.

I'd build "gods" like this. Constant "flash" that is Penetrating, personal immunity, not vs. other "gods", etc.

"MORTAL! You cannot stand the sight of this mere aspect! Your mind would melt if I was to appear to you in my full glory!" :eek:

The ability would cost 3 points, just enough to cover the cost of Combat Piloting, which is the Skill I'd require a roll on to accomplish this feat. That's it. I'd apply modifiers depending on the time of day, possition and orientation of the target and so on.

One of the PCs in a game a ran several years ago had an ability like this. In his case, he just glowed really brightly. It was bought as a Flash Sight Group with Explosion (-1 DC/ 2"), No Range (didn't have Personal Immunity because he had more than enough Flash Defense), with a Linked Darkness to Sight Group, 1" No Range and Personal Immunity. If you were too close, you got blinded by him. If you were far enough away, you still couldn't tell exactly where he was.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but why not just use Shadowing, Stealth, Concealment skills? It seems to me that they're ideally suited to the task; after all, the only real difference between hunting on the ground and in the air is the number of dimensions you have to work in. If you're playing a mapped game, then the GM could apply modifiers depending on how you use the sun and clouds, relative positioning, and so forth; if you're not then the skill roll can just be assumed to reflect how well you'd be doing that if you were on a map.

Perhaps I'm missing something' date=' but why not just use Shadowing, Stealth, Concealment skills? It seems to me that they're ideally suited to the task; after all, the only real difference between hunting on the ground and in the air is the number of dimensions you have to work in. If you're playing a mapped game, then the GM could apply modifiers depending on how you use the sun and clouds, relative positioning, and so forth; if you're not then the skill roll can just be assumed to reflect how well you'd be doing that if you were on a map.[/quote']

Exactly what I was saying... this is a matter of skill rolls. Stealth in the sky might be using sunlight to blind, where Stealth on the ground uses shadows to hide... either way, you are attacking with stealth.

Skills in Hero can accomplish a lot with a few roles and a couple actions spent maneuvering/setting up... and I've played this way for years. Buying everything with points as a power is just ridiculous, and can be taken to extremes with this system.

"I grab the power ring and tuck it in my pocket to hide it's shining light!"

GM: "Hold on... did you pay points to have your pockets act as a darkness field! I don't think so, buddy!"

(Crap like that makes me think violent, violent thoughts.)