Need help with a design

Red Knight

OK... humbly request some assistance in the creation of a character. The basic premise is that the character has a mask setup that consists of three (3) faces. These faces rotate around the head. The three faces are:

1) Sinister Face

2) Happy/ PLeasant face

3) Stoic / Emotionless face

If the sinister face stops in front then the character would be violent, destructive and merciless

If the Pleasant face stops in front then the character would become kind, comforting and would render aid

If the Stoic face stops in front then the character is ruled by pure logic, without emotion... he would analyse the situation and base his actions off of this.

My idea is to create a character with three forms (multiform) and then apply, uncontrolled change to each and something for random generation

I would make a chart to randomize the change (IE: Roll 1d6: 1-2 Sinister, 3-4 Pleasant, 5-6 Stoic)

Any ideas?

I admit that I borrowed the idea from Transformers... the Quints..

I don't think "No Conscious Control" is quite what you're looking for. You're not limited in activating a power, nor are you unable to control the effects of any one power.

I'd suggest a Limited Power, and cost it by comparing to Activation Roll. It's not quite as limiting as an Activation Roll (you still have some power going off), it's just that about two-thirds of the time it won't be the power you want.

Maybe comparable to an 11- activation, but at half the limitation because you still get something activated? So -1/2? That's the guideline for "character will be limited about a third of the time" under Conditional Powers, too.

Re: Need help with a design

Actually, IMO whether or not No Conscious Control would apply, and to what degree, would depend on whether the character can cause the mask to spin and therefore initiate the change or it happens by random chance. If both the change and the result is completely outside the character's volition then No Conscious Control at the -2 level would be appropriate. You would want to work out with your GM whatever mechanisms or conditions cause the mask persona to shift, such as Accidental Change. The random result table you propose seems reasonable to me FWIW.

However, there are a couple of variants on No Conscious Control at the -1 level that might be more appropriate. One is that you have no choice as to when the Power is activated, but once it is the character can use it freely. The other is that you can initiate the Power activation at will, but don't control the result. From your description it sounds as though the second case would be a closer fit.

If that's not what you had in mind, perhaps more detail about the effect you want would help us help you. :)

OK... Here is what I have so far...

The Mask is an ancient cursed item that once put on, cannot be removed until death. The wearer has no control over when the mask activates and what face activates. Each face has its own set of powers. I was toying with the idea of four faces...

1) A metallic copy of the wearer's face. This face would allow the wearer to function normally under his own control.

2) Sinister Face This face is the equivalent of pain and suffering. This mask would grant killing attacks and such (destructive)

3) Smiling Pleasant Face This face is the equivalent of helping and happiness. This mask would grant healing and Aid powers as well as protection (ie Force fields for others)

4) Distorted Animalistic Face This face (a new thought) would be rage and anger personified. When this face is activated the wearer is consumed by inhuman strength and aggression. They go berzerk.

Each mask would effectively have it's own personality but would skill retain the skills and knowledge of the wearer. The wearer would be going along for the ride w/o having any control.

As far as Uncontrolled Change .... I still have to figure out how often it would change... I'm working on that.

Here is a crazy thought:

Instead of getting several different forms try having several different MPs each one usable with a given mask. Then in the disadvantages section state as an accidental change the uncontrolled aspects of the change. Doing it this way will make it so that all masks will possess all skills and memories of the other masks. :o