clone spell

steph

in my fantasy game he have a necromancer who want to create a kind of clone spell .........what he want is a spell set for when he die a clone of him start to live ........how design this ....

stef the french canadian

excuse my english again

Re: clone spell

Duplication, limited such that the dulicates can never recombine & one of them remains comatose until the other is dead.

The question is : when the duplicate becomes active after the death of the original, what memories does he have?

Option 1)

His memories are those that the original had at the moment of duplication.

Option 2)

His memories are those that the original had the last time the original came and 'updated' the copy. Use the usual duplication recombination rules, but have the 'recombination' not actually recombine bodies, just recombine minds such that both the original and the duplicate again have identical memory sets.

Option 3)

His memories are those of the original in their entirety, right up to the moment of the original's death. The special effect would be to have the essence/soul of the original travel ethereally to the copy and inhabit it. The game mechanic to cover this could be to have a continuous mind link between the original and the copy, so that (in effect) the copy (though comatose) experiences everything the original does.

Another possibility is healing - ressurection, with invisible power effects, linked to a teleport.

Make it independant and one charge (so it is lost after use) - the XP must be earned (ie time spent creating and setting up the clone).

The last option is to use:

Summon exact duplicate, with Trigger (character's death). That way, the character dies and a duplicate pops up wherever it was he cast the spell (which if he's smart will be somewhere safe).

cheers, Mark

all your replies help me...but with all the limitation for the spell i think is not a expensive spell for a second chance of life :) but thank you all for your replies.....

stef the french canadian

excuse my english again

summon 250 pts necromancer (the same caracter in the shadow cavern)

trigger+1/2 (only when the original die)

active cost 60

oaf (cendre of a death necromancer),fragile,very difficult to ob tain new -1 3/4

gesture -1/2 (complexe and long)

incantation-1/2

extra time 1 day of rituel -4

concentration 0dcv -1/2

necromancy roll -1/2

1 charge -2

real cost 6

all your replies help me...but with all the limitation for the spell i think is not a expensive spell for a second chance of life :) but thank you all for your replies.....

stef the french canadian

excuse my english again

summon 250 pts necromancer (the same caracter in the shadow cavern)

trigger+1/2 (only when the original die)

active cost 60

oaf (hash of a death necromancer),fragile,very difficult to ob tain new -1 3/4

gesture -1/2 (complexe and long)

incantation-1/2

extra time 1 day of rituel -4

concentration 0dcv -1/2

necromancy roll -1/2

1 charge -2

real cost 6

If you go the summon route, the following may be necessary, unless you are or have a lenient GM, to add this :

+1 Summon a specific being (an exact copy of the caster, not just some random 250pt Necromancer)

And (maybe)

+1 Summoned being Fanatically loyal to the Summoner and will obey his every command for any number of tasks

Then probably :

+1/4 Inherent (Otherwise your summon can be dispelled... Dispelling a non-recombining Duplication wouldnt do anything, since it is already inherent in the power that the duplicates cannot recombine, but dispelling a summoned creature causes it to 'go away' which could be inconvenient if you ARE the summoned creature.)

In the end, summon becomes a pretty pricey construct.

If you go the summon route, the following may be necessary, unless you are or have a lenient GM, to add this :

+1 Summon a specific being (an exact copy of the caster, not just some random 250pt Necromancer)

And (maybe)

+1 Summoned being Fanatically loyal to the Summoner and will obey his every command for any number of tasks

Then probably :

+1/4 Inherent (Otherwise your summon can be dispelled... Dispelling a non-recombining Duplication wouldnt do anything, since it is already inherent in the power that the duplicates cannot recombine, but dispelling a summoned creature causes it to 'go away' which could be inconvenient if you ARE the summoned creature.)

In the end, summon becomes a pretty pricey construct.

+ 1 to summon a specific being is a nice addition - but fanatically loyal is not, since when the duplicate turns up 1) there is no-one around to give any commands and B) the duplicate has the same psych lim.s and background as the original so it will probably behave in a pretty similar fashion (and if it didn't, who could tell? It's not like the original is around to argue the point). Inherent is a good idea. If you add that to what Stef posted, it ends up costing 11 points, which is not too bad. I would add "charge does not recover, -2" to bring the cost to 9 points - otherwise he could cast the spell repeatedly.

cheers, Mark

I was iffy on the fanstastically loyal also, which is why I said 'maybe'.

The reason I included it was to address the fact that the summoned being will be (effectively) very very friendly toward the goals and desires of the original caster. If the summoned being were not a copy of that caster activated only after his death, that would certainly be worth a fair advantage on the summon. The fact that the summon is triggered by the caster's death really has no bearing on the advantage of having the creature be friendly to the caster's wants and desires.