Question about 4th to 5th upgrade...

Greetings all! Don't know if this has been asked anywhere and I apologize if this is redundant but...

Long time player this one is, yes...

I started this game system as a player/gamemaster in '88 after I discovered the first book at Zocchi Distributors, been playin' pretty seriously ever since. After a brief hiatus that started three years ago a player friend handed me, as an early birthday gift, a copy of the version 5 rules. Once the initial impact of this textbook sized encyclopedia wore off, I started the read. I understand and can nitpick the rules changes as I have done some of them as house rules already except for one major difference. I would like some input on how I should handle the following.

In 4th ed 99% of the heroes and villians were built with a 100 point base with about a 0 - 150 disad base. I see by the new rules a low powered character starts with 150 as a base and a standard hero starts with a 200 point base. I can see the point difference as reconstruction points for the few changed powers/talents/skills/etc but that really doesn't amount to a full 50 or 100 additional points in some cases, actually most. How can I justify this point spread between the existing characters and any new guy on the block?* Do I do some global event that suddenly washes over every hero and villian that will give them a healthy deposit of 100 points? I actually only have about 60 characters (players and their associated arch rivals plus a few global characters). What is fair? What is workable? What is everyone's general opinion?

Thank you for any ideas.

(*I can do an Esperanza type crash to steal an idea of a global event that infuses characters with power from the d20/storyteller system of Aberrant if that's the case...)

Re: Question about 4th to 5th upgrade...

There's nothing that says that just because the book says this is the standard point level that suddenly all of your characters have to be built to that level.

However, if you really want to give them the extra points, go for it. You don't need an in-game reason. Just say that their comic book is getting a reboot, and poof. They come out of it drawn in a different style with "new and improved" costumes.

But if you leave them all as is, nothing's going to break, and the Game Police aren't going to come breaking down your door.

I've personally found that the new, 350 point, level works well. As Chris suggested, I'd just go with the reboot idea and allow the players to rebuild their characters at the new levels. 5E has so many more options that it's very easy to spend 50 points and not even make a character more powerful. Just reboot to Runehammer World 2.0 and let the players have fun.

Why give them more points? It seems that your characters (both good and bad) are able to threaten and save the world just fine with their current point spread. Unless you're planning on doing a lot of crossovers with the Champions Universe, you should be fine. And just give the players (and villains) extra XP (just a point or two) until they catch up, so that new players who join your group are where they need to be.