A Detect to find a single person

Re: A Detect to find a single person

:sigh: I hate this question. I usually buy it as Mind Scan, because it is generally the more expensive option, and when faced with two valid ways of doing the same thing.... You can always buy it as an AVLD or NND. You could even base it on Con, apply Penetrating, or whatever. It doesn't have to be solely a mentalist thing. Like I said, though, I hate this question, and usually avoid thinking about it (THANKS for making me, by the way! :mad:;) ).

If the piece of equipment is created to detect the same person everytime, I would purchase it as Detect. If the device can be "reconfigured" I would think Mind Scan would be more appropriate.

Only my thoughts.

If it's a warning device that is triggered when the person comes into range, I'd buy it as a detect. It takes no time (just a PER roll). An example would be a magic blade that glows in the presence of Baron Montrose. The blade glows regrdless of what the character is doing at them moment.

If it's a scrying device or something that requires the player to actively hunt down and seek out the person, possibly expending extra time, endurance or even charges, I'd use mind scan.

But here's the real clincher. Can it detect Baron Montrose if he's on the other side of the city?, the continent? the world? Use Mind Scan. If it can only detect him in the immediate vicinity, use Detect. It has range mods.

Keith "just my suggestion" Curtis

If it's a warning device that is triggered when the person comes into range, I'd buy it as a detect. It takes no time (just a PER roll). An example would be a magic blade that glows in the presence of Baron Montrose. The blade glows regrdless of what the character is doing at them moment.

If it's a scrying device or something that requires the player to actively hunt down and seek out the person, possibly expending extra time, endurance or even charges, I'd use mind scan.

But here's the real clincher. Can it detect Baron Montrose if he's on the other side of the city?, the continent? the world? Use Mind Scan. If it can only detect him in the immediate vicinity, use Detect. It has range mods.

Keith "just my suggestion" Curtis

Well put. I like those distinctions. They really have a feel-good parallel to the intent of these Powers.

If you were building a piece of equipment in HERO terms that could detect a single individual would you buy it as Detect person X or buy Mind Scan?

Well, does it take time to use the sense? Could be either.

Will the presence of other people hinder the use? If not, probably Detect.

Will such detection enable the character to use mental powers on the target? Is yes, probably Mind Scan.

For the most part, I'd probably use Detect myself. I don't restrict Mind Scan for use by mentalists (any more than I restrict STR for bricks), so it could just as easily be that. Pick the one that best suits the SFX you're looking for. As a rough guideline though, I'd gauge Only To Scan For X (X is a single person) at -2.

Will such detection enable the character to use mental powers on the target? Is yes' date=' probably Mind Scan.

I think that's the real clinching factor. Mind Scan is so you can find them and use a mental power on them without penalty from half a world away.

Well, you could always put Targeting on whatever Detect you get and still hit them with Mental Powers, but Mind Scan is definately the traditional method of doing so over a long distance (kinda hard to get a Detect that reaches miles without spending LOTS of points on Telescopic anyway).