Uncommon Sense

After writing up a new character for a game I actually get to play in (yeah!), something occured to me...

Say a character has N-Ray Perception for the Sight Group, and has defined it as not being able to see through energy barriers (like FFs, FWs, damaging and non damaging fields, etc). Then say he's up against a character with a Force Field that's been bought IPE: Sight Group. What does he see? Will he still see the FF using his Sight even though it is Invisible (because the FF would be opaque to his N-Ray), or would he be able to see through the FF despite that limitation that he can't see through such things (because it's actually Invisible)?

Guest Black Lotus

Re: Uncommon Sense

I can say with confidence he should be able to see through the Force Field.

EDIT: I'm wrong. Even though the FF has IPE: Sight Group, and even though N-Ray Vision SIMULATES Sight Group, it still REALLY belngs to the Unusual Senses group. He can't see through it.

Since the N-ray vision is linked to sight and the ff is invisible to sight the character should be able to see through it, but he would also be able to see that the ff exists and be able to adjust his attacks accordingly; something the other players wouldn't do because they have no idea the ff is there.

Things like that are just part of the perk and limitation to liking an enhanced sense to a regular sense [the limitation being like: flash normal sight, lose N-ray too].

Guest Black Lotus

I agree with Bob. The FF is invisible to normal sight, say if the character using the FF was face-to-face with the character with N-Ray Vision. However, if the guy with the FF is behind a wall, and the character uses N-Ray Vision to see through said wall, he can see the Force Field.

If N-Ray Vision is Always On, it should fluctuate like a PC screen seen through a fan -- strands of there mixing with strands of not-there. :snicker:

I say the Limitation on the N-Ray Perception should not trump the Advantage on the Force Field (if the defender buys IPE on his FF, he probably really doesn't want it to be noticed). There might be some cases where a Limitation might provide some small benefit, but such cases IMO are where you really can't justify otherwise, and this isn't one of them.

In this particular case common sense could lead you either way, so I'd tend to go with the FF not blocking the N-Ray (unless you want to go with some, "Your N-Ray vision doesn't seem to be working too well here for some reason," type deal that doesn't necessarily allow the character to deduce the exact nature of the disturbance).