How to build this power

Kyle A.

Re: How to build this power

Just a note: if you make powers that do a lot of things at once, you then get into the issue of limitation values if we hive parts off. "Oh, my character can possess people, but can't access their thoughts."

Then we end up with very limited, low RP powers (cost commensurate with utility) whose AP cost is prohibitive for frameworks, or games with an AP cap. There are always tradeoffs.

One effect that requires 4 different powers to create it should be just as hindred by ap limits as anything else, IMO. Would you allow a 12d6 mind control, transdimensional, telepathic, 1/2 end attack in your game? That's what? 120 ap. And then allow it to be linked to extra dimensional movement, telepathy, and clairsentience? That entire power must be close to 250 ap.

One effect that requires 4 different powers to create it should be just as hindred by ap limits as anything else' date=' IMO. Would you allow a 12d6 mind control, transdimensional, telepathic, 1/2 end attack in your game? That's what? 120 ap. And then allow it to be linked to extra dimensional movement, telepathy, and clairsentience? That entire power must be close to 250 ap.[/quote']

Never ask if I'd allow it in my game. The answer is virtually always "Maybe, if it worked for the character and didn't unbalance the game". In regards to a "possession" character, my biggest concern would be that the character can't effectively end any single character encounter by possessing the target, and that I will not neuter the character whenever Ipresent a threat which cannot be possessed.

Characters like Rogue and Jericho have two things in common. First, they're devilish to build under Hero, and very expensive. Second, they possess an amazing ability to demolish a scenario, unless kept in line by "fiat". Writer fiat is generally a lot more acceptable than GM fiat.

BTW, Jericho (martial arts and decent stats) and Rogue when she had Ms. Marvel's powers both fit the "not neutered" description.

Despite the fact that I usually argue that Hero needs LESS powers, I've argued for a while that we need a Gestalt power that is designed to let targets combine thier bodies into one form, granting them the ability to pool resources and use each others powers.

This would be the basis of most posession powers, the ability telepaths have to merge minds to create a powerful "omnimind" psychic entity or even the relativly common "combine to from mega robot!" aspect of the sentai genre.

Well, to be fair, The Ultimate Vehicle presents an option for a combined mecha which could be used as the basis for other character gestalts: each component mecha has a Multiform into the combined form, but the total cost of the Multiform is divided evenly among all the components, reflecting that they must all join together at once to form the combined entity.