Where is Professor X when you need him?

eternius

I'm a new GM and one of my players is trying to built a multipsi character with telepathy, pyrokinesis,telekinesis, and teleportation. I cannot figure out for the life of me how to economize points or to get each slot within his multipower based on ECV and CON(at least for his telepathy and TK). Can somone give me some pointers?

Guest WhammeWhamme

Re: Where is Professor X when you need him?

Okay. Assuming you're fairly liberal as a GM:

Elemental Control

a Rebuild, Relocate and Reassemble (Teleport)

b Telekinetic Levitation (Flight)

c Telekinetic Shield (Force Field)

Multipsi Multipower

u Pyrokinetic Flame (Energy Blast)

u Telekinesis (Telekinesis, possibly with fine manipulation)

u Mass Telekinesis (Telekinesis with Area Effect)

u Mind Reading (Telepathy)

For an efficient build, each power in the Elemental Control should be a strong as the others. Likewise for the powers in the multipower.

For example (relatively low powered), you could have them at 20" Teleport, 20/20 FF (probably 16/16 with reduced endurance cost, actually), and 20" Flight. 80 points for the EC.

Then a 50pt multipower, with each slot as an u5. 10d6 EB, STR 26 TK with Fine Manipulation, Area Effect: Radius STR 10 telekinesis with fine manipulation, 10d6 Telepathy. Another 70 points.

That help?

I'm a new GM and one of my players is trying to built a multipsi character with telepathy' date=' pyrokinesis,telekinesis, and teleportation. I cannot figure out for the life of me how to economize points or to get each slot within his multipower based on ECV and CON(at least for his telepathy and TK). Can somone give me some pointers?[/quote']

I would you a couple of multipowers, one for communication/mind control the other for attack/defense powers. Why base powers on Con?

Why not use ECV (remember to buy based on ECV [bOECV])? ECV rolls are naturally LOS and ECV typically is lower in most characters than CV. This is just my two cents worth.

PS Also maybe a drain on EGO with BOECV would be great; good for mind control. :winkgrin:

For an efficient build, each power in the Elemental Control should be a strong as the others. Likewise for the powers in the multipower.

I have to take issue with this. That's one way to create an efficient multi-power. But I often build multi-powers with slots of varying sizes such that slots I expect the PC to use simultaneously add up to the total points available in the multi-power.

F'r instance: Black Mask, a Matrix-esque martial artist I'm playing currently. He can bend the laws of physics to do seemingly impossible things. His 60 point multi-power has a number of slots, but two of them are

• Hit Harder: +30 STR
  • Move Faster: +3 SPEED

He can't boost his STR by 60 points or his SPD by 6, but he can put 30 points into both of them at once. Most of his MP slots are like that; it gives him a lot of flexibility.

You could also just handwave the TK and have the power targeted by the characters ECV (targeting Dex based DCV and having range mods and all that...really the power is moving things via mental power what in heck does DEX have to do with it?)

The MP and EC route are the standard way to go with these builds since players are by convention restricted from simply building characters with loads and loads of points. This generally results in a mentalist that can only do some things at the same time. Typically Mind Scan Force Field and a movement in the EC with the MP filled with the other PSI powers like EGO blast and Telepathy.

Hawksmoor

Guest WhammeWhamme

I have to take issue with this. That's one way to create an efficient multi-power. But I often build multi-powers with slots of varying sizes such that slots I expect the PC to use simultaneously add up to the total points available in the multi-power.

F'r instance: Black Mask, a Matrix-esque martial artist I'm playing currently. He can bend the laws of physics to do seemingly impossible things. His 60 point multi-power has a number of slots, but two of them are

• Hit Harder: +30 STR
  • Move Faster: +3 SPEED

He can't boost his STR by 60 points or his SPD by 6, but he can put 30 points into both of them at once. Most of his MP slots are like that; it gives him a lot of flexibility.

There are other ways to do it. But that is a good way to confuse a new player, and for this concept I think equal strength is most likely to be what they want.

Besides. I was trying for the least limited psi I could; can only make one attack per phase, but can use all their other powers at once.

Other builds can be effective, but in terms of biggest bang for your buck for this character, I think my build is fine.

I mean, most of the time, you'll only be making one attack. And it'll be at full power. So being a MP slot isn't a problem.

I mean, I've had m slot and small u slot characters, and they worked, but I just described the classic 'attacks multipower'. Which is what newbies need to start with, really.

thanks for the tips. i think i'm going to use MP/EC builds because i am being fairly liberal with the character's power builds. but i'm also building villans based on the PCs builds... :sneaky: . so as powerful as the PCs may be or become there will always be a villan with matching or greater power levels, willing to use them in malicious ways. and i wanted to use based on con because most psi-powers in comics are only as effective as the charcater is healthy. i've never seen jean grey mind blast someone when she had the flu :winkgrin: