Skill cost versus Genre

Tywyll

One of the cooler ideas (I thought) that BESM had, was making skills cost relavent to the Genre they were in. For instance, in a modern detective game, where gun fights are common and characters have to use lots of perception and forensic type skills, those skills would actually cost more to reflect their usefulness. In a fantasy Genre, ala DnD, weapon and spell casting skills would cost 6 points a level, while playing the flute would only cost 1 or 2.

Of course this diverges greatly from realism, but I think from a game "balance" standpoint its more fair. A 200 pt fighter vs a 200 pt courtier are certainly not balanced.

Is anyone familiar with this idea, and if so, has anyone attempted to convert or utilize the concept at all? Just curious. It seems like a good idea for helping to balance characters, especially skill heavy ones.

Guest Black Lotus

Re: Skill cost versus Genre

I also own BESM, and I think that the "cost vs. genre" works very well... within BESM, that is.

I simply don't feel it's advisable to change costs based on genre, especially considering that no one ever really plays "combat lite" games using HERO. (Seriously, now. HERO has the most intricate combats known to gamerkind.)

Also, BESM is a "rules lite" system, so it's easy to keep track of all the changes. HERO is rules-heavy -- damn near pregnant to bursting with rules -- so making sweeping changes like that, and keeping track of them... well, it'd be somewhat difficult.

However, I don't see a problem with it if it's your bag. Just keep in mind it would entail a lot of logistics. :ugly:

I agree with Lodus. I also own BESM, and find that the value of skills depening on genre works in that system, but for HERO because it's hard to tell how much skills will come up, it's hard to do.

Like i spent 3 pts on lockpicking in a "lowfantasy" environment, thinking i could be a thief, we have encountered 1 lock so far. So in theory i might have more points coming to me, but i really don't mind because it's so few points

I tend to just handle this by trying to balance the use of Skills in the different genres so they really are worth the points spent, and I get rid of the ones which are so unapplicable they are silly. For example, I use Security Systems for setting and disarming traps in a fantasy setting, and Cryptography for cyphers and different levels of language use such as cyphers, "magical writing," and, "thieves' cants," where there might actually be a puzzle aspect to any particular writing/use, not just different levels of fluency.

I also try to keep in mind what Skills the players have and incorporate them into the story now and then; in the design of a storyline, the different paths through a scenario, etc.

This leaves the actual costs of the Skills consistent, which I very much like for simplicity (what's it cost? Easy. It's a non-categorized, non-Background Skill; it costs 3). It also serves to make each Skill useful, so some characters don't feel cheated because they spent a bunch of points for something that isn't--or is rarely--useful.

I would agree with prestidigitator.

Disadvantage and limitation values can vary by genre, but I would be more inclined to modify the scope of a skill then it's cost to fit a genre.

I like to be able to compare characters from different campaigns and that would be tough if the cost of skills changed all the time. Plus skill costs are already complex enough for me.

The BESMTri-Stat game system was built with that particular game mechanic in mind...and it is used as a balancing tool for the particular genres.

The balancing tool used for the HERO System are the genre books (such as Champions). These books explain the particular genres, as well as how the HERO System interacts in it.

Although a different cost per genre for skills works in BESM, it is not part of the game mechanics of the HERO System...and therefor not really appropriate.

I think it could be made to work. I also think it would take quite a bit of work, and would be almost a textbook definition of House Roles, and not something you'd ever want to make official in any way, shape, or form.

I do have to admit I am interested in seeing what Tywyll would consider an example to show off the effectiveness of this rule in HERO. So Tywyll, pick a fairly open genre without too much fiddly bits, and run the skills through it. Let's see what can be done, and exactly how many holes we can punch through it. Could be fun. :yes:

Ok, Black Rose. I'll dig up my BESM book for inspiration and see if I can come up with something that works.

I realize that it would be the height of House Rules, but I don't think its different from the "Strength costs 2" rule that many people use for Heroic games, because at 1 its really too useful.

I'll see what I can come up with.