Normal Senses with Discriminatory and Analyze

Nevenall

Normal senses provide only limited Discriminatory abilities, so what information would you give a character if they bought the full Discriminatory and/or Analyze for a normal sense?

I'd like to compile a list as an aid for GMs. You can quote the next post and fill it in like a form if you like to contribute. :)

Re: Normal Senses with Discriminatory and Analyze

Normal Sight with Discriminatory:

Normal Sight with Analyze:

Normal Hearing with Discriminatory:

Normal Hearing with Analyze:

Normal Touch with Discriminatory:

Normal Touch with Analyze:

Normal Taste with Discriminatory:

Normal Taste with Analyze:

Normal Smell with Discriminatory:

Normal Smell with Analyze:

Oh, sure, make me look up the specifics of Discriminatory and Analyze...I wiould say first to go look at the discussion extending from page 161 of 5ER as it indicates what the normal crude Discriminatory abilities with Sight group, Hearing group, Smell/Taste group, and Touch group are. Once you read that, you'll see I lifted some examples directly from there for Discriminatory!

Normal Sight with Discriminatory:

Determine ethnicity or religion through subtle visual cues.

Tell apart identical siblings.

See where someone has been by looking at them.

Normal Sight with Analyze:

Determine how much they care about religious symboilsm from the way it is placed on garment.

Identify the probable cause of minute cosmetic changes (e.g., cancer versus severe sunburn or acne)

See what someone was doing by looking at them (not just where been).

Normal Hearing with Discriminatory:

Tell two different kinds of songbirds' apart.

Identify a voice on the phone immediately

Determine direction and rough distance from sound.

Normal Hearing with Analyze:

Distinguish two types of songs from one bird (enough to know something such as time of day, for example, if you were a blind-folded hostage).

Identify not only voice on phone but the caller's emotional state.

Determine precise direction and distance.

Normal Touch with Discriminatory:

Tell a $1 bill from a $5 bill.

Figure out a key in your pocket or purse among many similar keys.

Realize an unfamiliar bump or such on a lover.

Normal Touch with Analyze:

Tell apart any kind of international currency

Figure out a key in anyone's pocket or purse among many unfamiliar but similar keyes.

Specify the nature of an unfamiliar bump on someone.

Normal Taste with Discriminatory:

Distinguish the elements of a dish by taste.

Tell almond from the similar-tasting poison.

Tell all the colas apart.

Normal Taste with Analyze:

Distinguish not only the elements of a dish but their individual source and freshness

Determine amount and strength of a poison, even if similar to other items, just from a minor taste

Know which unflavored water you're tasting or the tap from which city's water with one taste.

Normal Smell with Discriminatory:

Most of the same as taste apply...to put in some smell-only:

Tell the difference between various foul odors.

Tell the components creating one's body odor.

Name a brand of perfume

Normal Smell with Analyze:

Tell the difference between the odor of beer brewing according to which manufacturer, which recipe

Determine where the components of one's body odor came from

Name the year and recency of application of the brand of perfume

But really this all gets a bit wonky because of the overlap between Discr/Analysis (particularly the latter) and Knowledge Skills; I'd say you'd frequently still need some specialized knowledge, even if the Sense of course is vital to perceiving to then analyze.

Just my take on it, haven't really thought much about it before. Sounds like one could do a lot of (too much?) detective work based on just senses (which is why I'd want to have some Knowledges as appropriate).

Really, I'd argue that the basic sense are discriminatory (and I would not differentiate as the book does from the "crude" discriminatory) and just make people pay for Analyze.

Really' date=' I'd argue that the basic sense are discriminatory (and I would not differentiate as the book does from the "crude" discriminatory) and just make people pay for Analyze.[/quote']After thinking about it, this is where I ended up, too. And I would say that most of the above should be handled with Knowledge Skills and high PER rolls. I would save Analyze for being able to tell apart things other people physically can't. (You can see more colors, and more detail, with sight -- but not microscopic or telescopic vision; you can distinguish sound frequencies that others can't; you can pick up scents others can't -- or would that be smell's version of 'night vision'?; etc. You may not know what they mean without the right Knowledge Skill.)