Character Creation points for Teenager Heros

Aries

Re: Character Creation points for Teenager Heros

i'd go with no more than 200 points and disads like Minor' date=' and psychological ones, like "angsty teenager" etc.[/quote']

How about 200 Points with 50 points in disadvantages?

Also- Roy I sent you a PM- please check your PM's

How about 200 Points with 50 points in disadvantages?

Also- Roy I sent you a PM- please check your PM's

The base points are up to you, but I would go with no less than 100 disad points. That encourages players to take "teen angsty" psych disads and such. Plus there is the social lim: minor under 18 (keeps them out of lots of places like bars, clubs, liquor stores, etc) and many places have curfews.

The base points are up to you' date=' but I would go with no less than 100 disad points. That encourages players to take "teen angsty" psych disads and such. Plus there is the social lim: minor under 18 (keeps them out of lots of places like bars, clubs, liquor stores, etc) and many places have curfews.[/quote']

Interesting. So 100 + 100 is actually a good range for a teenage superhero

Shoot I was going to suggest 150+100...the "old" champs standard...they tended to be powers heavy and skills light....sounds like a super powered 15 year old to me....

I personally like the 100 and 100 formula better

I currently am playing in a teen champs PBEM. We all are the rcommended 100 Base + 100 Disads. Plus the gm required us to take some sort of limitation on our powers to show how inexperienced we are with them. Here is my character in that game if you need an example.

Black Arachnia

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

20 STR 10 13- Lift 400.0kg; 4d6 [2]

20 DEX 30 13- OCV: 7/DCV: 7

15 CON 10 12-

15 BODY 10 12-

15 INT 5 12- PER Roll 12-

10 EGO 0 11- ECV: 3

15 PRE 5 12- PRE Attack: 3d6

16 COM 3 12-

10 PD 6 Total: 10 PD (10 rPD)

10 ED 7 Total: 10 ED (10 rED)

5 SPD 20 Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12

10 REC 6

30 END 0

33 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 112

Movement: Running: 8"/16"

Gliding: 12"/24"

Leaping: 4"/8"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Swinging: 27"/54"

Cost Powers END

23 Web Slinging: Multipower, 40-point reserve, (40 Active Points); all slots Requires A DEX Roll (-3/4)

2u 1) Web Ball: EB 8d6 (40 Active Points); Requires A DEX Roll (-3/4) 4

2u 2) Web: Entangle 4d6, 4 DEF (40 Active Points); Requires A DEX Roll (-3/4) 4

2u 3) Web Net: Entangle 2d6, 2 DEF, Area Of Effect (5" Cone; +1) (40 Active Points); Requires A DEX Roll (-3/4) 4

2u 4) Web In your Eyes: Sight Group Flash 8d6 (40 Active Points); Requires A DEX Roll (-3/4) 4

2u 5) Web Wall: FW (10 PD/4 ED; 3" long and 1" tall) (39 Active Points); Requires A DEX Roll (-3/4), Requires Anchor Points (-1/2) 4

1u 6) Web A Chute: Gliding 12" (12 Active Points); Requires A DEX Roll (-3/4), Physical Manifestation (-1/4)

2u 7) Swinging Along: Swinging 27", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (40 Active Points); Requires A DEX Roll (-3/4)

2u 8) Get Over Here: Stretching 8" (40 Active Points); Requires A DEX Roll (-3/4), Conditional Power Power does not work in Common Circumstances (Only to Grab People or Objects; -1/2) 4

10 Tougher Than Normal: Damage Resistance (10 PD/10 ED)

10 Enhanced Agility: Missile Deflection (Bullets & Shrapnel) (15 Active Points); Requires A PER Roll And A DEX Roll (-1/2)

10 Wall Crawling: Clinging (normal STR)

4 Good Runner: Running +2" (8" total) 1

Skills

3 Acrobatics 13-

3 Breakfall 13-

3 Climbing 13-

3 Lockpicking 13-

3 Sleight Of Hand 13-

3 Stealth 13-

3 Streetwise 12-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 93

Total Cost: 205

100+ Disadvantages

5 Distinctive Features: Spider Tattoo on left Shoulder (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

10 Hunted: Local Police 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching)

10 Physical Limitation: Wierd Bio Chemistry Requires Special Medical Attention (Frequently, Slightly Impairing)

20 Psychological Limitation: Will Not Kill (Common, Total)

15 Psychological Limitation: Feels the Need to prove herself (Common, Strong)

15 Social Limitation: Legal Minor (Frequently, Major)

15 Social Limitation: Secret Identity (Very Frequently, Minor)

10 Vulnerability: 1 1/2 x STUN Fire Based Powers (Common)

5 Experience Points

Total Disadvantage Points: 100

Background/History: Alex's father was an alcoholic who physically and mentally abused both her and her mother. On her 13th birthday her father was extremely drunk and something her mother did set her father off. He punched Alex's mother rendering unconcious and then began to slap Alex around he picked her up and threw he against a wall which knocked the wind out of her. Her father then dropped his pants and said he was going to make a real woman out of her. Alex screamed in fear and threw her hands out, when she did he webbing shot from her wrists and tied up her father causing him to fall. Alex not knowing what else to do gathered up her few belongings and ran out the door. Over the next four years she lived on the streets doing whatever necessary to survive. She stole when necessary and at age fifteen began sleeping with men for money on occasion. Then at seventeen her life would change for the better. She went to pick a man's pocket when she was caught in the act. This man was none other than Professor Moreau. For some strange reason she trusted the man and she cried as she told him her story. The Professor brought her to Redwood to live and to better learn to control her powers.

Powers/Tactics: Alex is a mutant with several spider like qualities including the ability to cling to walls and create webbing from spinnerettes located in her wrists.

Campaign Use: Teenage Mutant Spider Girl

Appearance: Alex has long red hair that she typically wears braided. No matter what she wear is is always sleevless. She has a spider tatooed on her left shoulder. Her costume is purple and black, with a purple domino mask.

I currently am playing in a teen champs PBEM. We all are the rcommended 100 Base + 100 Disads. Plus the gm required us to take some sort of limitation on our powers to show how inexperienced we are with them. Here is my character in that game if you need an example.

Black Arachnia

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

20 STR 10 13- Lift 400.0kg; 4d6 [2]

20 DEX 30 13- OCV: 7/DCV: 7

15 CON 10 12-

15 BODY 10 12-

15 INT 5 12- PER Roll 12-

10 EGO 0 11- ECV: 3

15 PRE 5 12- PRE Attack: 3d6

16 COM 3 12-

10 PD 6 Total: 10 PD (10 rPD)

10 ED 7 Total: 10 ED (10 rED)

5 SPD 20 Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12

10 REC 6

30 END 0

33 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 112

Movement: Running: 8"/16"

Gliding: 12"/24"

Leaping: 4"/8"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Swinging: 27"/54"

Cost Powers END

23 Web Slinging: Multipower, 40-point reserve, (40 Active Points); all slots Requires A DEX Roll (-3/4)

2u 1) Web Ball: EB 8d6 (40 Active Points); Requires A DEX Roll (-3/4) 4

2u 2) Web: Entangle 4d6, 4 DEF (40 Active Points); Requires A DEX Roll (-3/4) 4

2u 3) Web Net: Entangle 2d6, 2 DEF, Area Of Effect (5" Cone; +1) (40 Active Points); Requires A DEX Roll (-3/4) 4

2u 4) Web In your Eyes: Sight Group Flash 8d6 (40 Active Points); Requires A DEX Roll (-3/4) 4

2u 5) Web Wall: FW (10 PD/4 ED; 3" long and 1" tall) (39 Active Points); Requires A DEX Roll (-3/4), Requires Anchor Points (-1/2) 4

1u 6) Web A Chute: Gliding 12" (12 Active Points); Requires A DEX Roll (-3/4), Physical Manifestation (-1/4)

2u 7) Swinging Along: Swinging 27", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (40 Active Points); Requires A DEX Roll (-3/4)

2u 8) Get Over Here: Stretching 8" (40 Active Points); Requires A DEX Roll (-3/4), Conditional Power Power does not work in Common Circumstances (Only to Grab People or Objects; -1/2) 4

10 Tougher Than Normal: Damage Resistance (10 PD/10 ED)

10 Enhanced Agility: Missile Deflection (Bullets & Shrapnel) (15 Active Points); Requires A PER Roll And A DEX Roll (-1/2)

10 Wall Crawling: Clinging (normal STR)

4 Good Runner: Running +2" (8" total) 1

Skills

3 Acrobatics 13-

3 Breakfall 13-

3 Climbing 13-

3 Lockpicking 13-

3 Sleight Of Hand 13-

3 Stealth 13-

3 Streetwise 12-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 93

Total Cost: 205

100+ Disadvantages

5 Distinctive Features: Spider Tattoo on left Shoulder (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

10 Hunted: Local Police 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching)

10 Physical Limitation: Wierd Bio Chemistry Requires Special Medical Attention (Frequently, Slightly Impairing)

20 Psychological Limitation: Will Not Kill (Common, Total)

15 Psychological Limitation: Feels the Need to prove herself (Common, Strong)

15 Social Limitation: Legal Minor (Frequently, Major)

15 Social Limitation: Secret Identity (Very Frequently, Minor)

10 Vulnerability: 1 1/2 x STUN Fire Based Powers (Common)

5 Experience Points

Total Disadvantage Points: 100

Background/History: Alex's father was an alcoholic who physically and mentally abused both her and her mother. On her 13th birthday her father was extremely drunk and something her mother did set her father off. He punched Alex's mother rendering unconcious and then began to slap Alex around he picked her up and threw he against a wall which knocked the wind out of her. Her father then dropped his pants and said he was going to make a real woman out of her. Alex screamed in fear and threw her hands out, when she did he webbing shot from her wrists and tied up her father causing him to fall. Alex not knowing what else to do gathered up her few belongings and ran out the door. Over the next four years she lived on the streets doing whatever necessary to survive. She stole when necessary and at age fifteen began sleeping with men for money on occasion. Then at seventeen her life would change for the better. She went to pick a man's pocket when she was caught in the act. This man was none other than Professor Moreau. For some strange reason she trusted the man and she cried as she told him her story. The Professor brought her to Redwood to live and to better learn to control her powers.

Powers/Tactics: Alex is a mutant with several spider like qualities including the ability to cling to walls and create webbing from spinnerettes located in her wrists.

Campaign Use: Teenage Mutant Spider Girl

Appearance: Alex has long red hair that she typically wears braided. No matter what she wear is is always sleevless. She has a spider tatooed on her left shoulder. Her costume is purple and black, with a purple domino mask.

Interesting character but how does he ever make all those 9- skill rolls to use his powers? :)

Interesting character but how does he ever make all those 9- skill rolls to use his powers? :)

he doesn't have to... he bought them all wioth a -3/4 based on Dex roll Activation roll rather than RSR, so no penalties are involved.

Lotsa 13- rolls tho...pretty apt for a teenage hero getting the hang of his powers.

he doesn't have to... he bought them all wioth a -3/4 based on Dex roll Activation roll rather than RSR, so no penalties are involved.

Lotsa 13- rolls tho...pretty apt for a teenage hero getting the hang of his powers.

Using a characterisitc does not negate the active point penalties. The -3/4 value is used because the character's dexterity is a 13- roll. You are just told to use the activation roll chart to get the value of the limitation.

Edit to add: Page 304 in 5Er under The Skill Used: "The Active Point penalty applies normally to other unusual RSRs."

Using a characterisitc does not negate the active point penalties. The -3/4 value is used because the character's dexterity is a 13- roll. You are just told to use the activation roll chart to get the value of the limitation.

Activation rolls don't have active point penalties. RSR's do. He bought them as activation rolls. It may or may not be by the book 5er legal, but its consistant with many, many past examples. As long as he can't modify his activation roll it works.

Activation rolls don't have active point penalties. RSR's do. He bought them as activation rolls. It may or may not be by the book 5er legal' date=' but its consistant with many, many past examples. As long as he can't modify his activation roll it works.[/quote']

Actually he purchased them as "Requires DEX Roll" which is why I brought it up. :)

You are correct for activation rolls.

Actually he purchased them as "Requires DEX Roll" which is why I brought it up. :)

You are correct for activation rolls.

Right-o

Its all good then :D

I personally still think that the whole RSR/Activation thing could use a bit more tinkering to even out the values and penalties, but thats another thread entirely.

Right-o

Its all good then :D

I personally still think that the whole RSR/Activation thing could use a bit more tinkering to even out the values and penalties, but thats another thread entirely.

True, but at least with RSR there's a chance of partial success if you only miss by 1 or 2 [to be determined by the GM]. With activation a miss is a miss.

Well, I suppose angsty is OK, if you want Dawson's Creek or 90210 with superpowers. ;) Oh, wait, that's been done...Small something or other, I think it's called...

Personally, I don't think it's just about point totals, although teen supers with 450+150 might be a bit much. There's also the question of what you want to do with the campaign.

Well' date=' I suppose angsty is OK, if you want [i']Dawson's Creek[/i] or 90210 with superpowers. ;) Oh, wait, that's been done...Small something or other, I think it's called...

Personally, I don't think it's just about point totals, although teen supers with 450+150 might be a bit much. There's also the question of what you want to do with the campaign.

obviously i can't speak for what everyone's teenage years were like, but i know for about a year of college i was pretty fraught with angst. It happens. Especially to teenagers. Angst is part of growing up. I think any campain with super teens is inherintly going to have some angst

Well I created my first teenage character. Wow, when you only have 200 points total to make your character (100 + 100 disadvans) you run out of points quick.

But then when you have a teenage superhero they are only going to be so powerful