A few kinda newbie questions

Greatwyrm

I figured some of these may not be hard and fast rules questions, so I didn't want to drop them in the actual rules forum. Anywho...

1. I know you can't put naked advantages in a framework. However, can you buy naked advantages that affect powers in a framework. I reallize that it may well be cheaper to just buy the modified version of the power in something like a multipower, I'm just wondering if you can do it.

2. The book says you don't have to use powers at full strength. If I use a power with a range at half strength, is the range halved as well or do I still get the full range, just at the reduced effect?

3. Let's say I'm using multipowers for spellcasters in a fantasy game and each spell must have RSR (-1/10 AP). Would you allow PCs to buy penalty skill levels to offset the penalty on a spell-by-spell basis? For example, 2 PSLs to offset the AP penalty, but only for casting Firebolt.

Thanks for any insight you care to lend.

Re: A few kinda newbie questions

1) I believe so. I'm not sure what the rules actually say on this, but I allow it.

2) I say the range is based on the Active Points purchased (and available, in case of a Multipower or having been Drained or Aided), not actually used. So if you have an EB 12d6 (range 300") and only use 6d6 of it, you still have the full range. But if it's in a Multipower and you only put 30 points into it, you only get a range of 150".

3) Penalties from Active Points on a RSR Power can be negated with Penalty Skill Levels. Technically, PSLs can only be used to negate an OCV penalty, but it's generally accepted that a penalty is a penalty is a penalty by most players and we use them anyway.

3. Let's say I'm using multipowers for spellcasters in a fantasy game and each spell must have RSR (-1/10 AP). Would you allow PCs to buy penalty skill levels to offset the penalty on a spell-by-spell basis? For example' date=' 2 PSLs to offset the AP penalty, but only for casting Firebolt.[/quote']

I see the RSR, "penalty," as an inherent modifier such as that produced by a maneuver, rather than a circumstance. I would allow SLs, but not PSLs, to apply. I might also rarely allow CSLs that apply to the magic in question to be used for the RSR instead of the attack roll, but this would be greatly dependent on the situation and the magic involved.

#1: Yes, you can buy a naked advantage that works for all the slots in a power framework.

#2: I would give the full range. Just because you are hitting with less force doesn't mean you should have less distance. For example, using a gun to hit an arm [special effect of causing less damage] doesn't mean the gun shoots less distance.

#3: I would allow PSL to work in this manner, though they are only supposed to be for ocv issues.

1. I see no reason a naked advantage could not affect the slots in a multipower. However, I wouldn't allow this to be used as a point-saving device as compared to simply placing the advantage on all the powers in te multipower - there would have to be a reason for the naked advantage construct (eg. not all powers in the MP are relevant to the advantage; the advantage has limits the multipower doesn't share). As a result, as a GM, I would approve or deny the construct depending on the character in question.

2. If the power has 60 AP, I would give it range based on 60 AP. The choice of using less than full power only reduces damage done, not the actual active points in the power.

3. I'd be inclined to allow PSL's to work in this manner. An unlimited +1 to the skill roll would only cost 2 points. It should be possible to get a point discount for a more limited bonus to the skill roll.