Megascale Best Practices and Fun Examples

zornwil

When Megascale first came out, I was very suspicious of it, even against it at the very first, but realized it could address several important genre considerations well and decided to cautiously allow it. I've felt good about the results so far. It's been used with Clairsentience reasonably, and our mentalist has it used with an interesting "Area Headache" minor effect that simply reflects her projection of annoyance. That latter example is my favorite example, good fun and very in-character and definitely non-abusive (arguably even over-priced).

I'm curious as to others' examples and if anyone has developed any sort of formal "best practice" thoughts?

PS - I would also add, a good use of Megascale as well is for plot hooks, which it basically begs. That Megascale Clairsentience - someone powerful may be (depending on your world) bound to notice and become very interested. Megascale Attacks similarly get noticed! Megascale Movement..."what's causing those little tornado effects rippling through the area...".

Re: Megascale Best Practices and Fun Examples

I used it from the get go and haven't had any problems with it. I haven't had reason to allow it for attacks though. So far it's been used primarily for movement (Flight & Teleport), and occasionally MegaRange for Clairsentience or MegaArea for Change Enviornment.

That latter example is my favorite example' date=' good fun and very in-character and definitely non-abusive (arguably even over-priced).[/quote']

Heck, I think the final version had to be finessed several times just to get thru Laughton... :eg:

One thing I've been tinkering with is the ability to do "feats of strength" without requiring gargantuan STR.

In particular, stuff like "he/she threw the bomb into orbit".

So, my basic construct is this:

Superleap, Usable as Attack, Megascale, with limitations such as "target must be below X weight", "only on inanimate objects/defeated opponents", Extra Time and/or END, and a few miscellaneous limitations to allow GM intervention.

Essentially, the idea is to construct He-Man cartoon or Superman movie strength feats, yet not have them be unbalancing in combat, nor prohibitively expensive in terms of points. The above construct typically rounds out to only a few points in a "brick tricks" MP, for example.