The Ability to Cloud Men's Mind...?

chariot

Greetings Heroes!

Yes, it is he of the annoying and simple-minded questions, yet-again.

So I needed some defensive abilities for a hero in a darkish, action adventure game. He just happens to be a mentalist, and having a fondess for Lamont Cranston and other serial radio figures... I thought to myself: why not?

But then came the problems. He's the only that seems "super-powered". His powers are not meant to be flashy, and he has the Psych Limit that he's reluctant to reveal his powers, even to his closest friends.

So I'm looking at this two ways, right now:

1) Some sort of Invisibility, which is really my first choice, but the most difficult to pull off. I need to tone down its super quaility and make it more selective, some-how.

2) Levels with DCV, used to represent this ability. Thoroughly unflashy, though very SFX oriented approach to this power.

Other thoughts? Thoughts on my two approaches?

Your wisdom and experience are much appreciated.

Re: The Ability to Cloud Men's Mind...?

Both of these aproaches seem perfectly reasonable, depending on how you want to define "clouding men's minds." I'd suggest also taking a look at Change Environment, though. You can create penalties to the target's Perception so they can't spot him easily, to their OCV so that he's harder for them to hit, or to their DCV since they can't see where he's striking from.

It's more subtle than Invisibility, but can be flashier than simple DCV levels. And you can vary the effect to give the character more versatility.

Now... I've run into a bit of an issue with the Change Environment idea. It probably just needs an appropriate limitation, but I'm not sure how to word it.

Using Change Environment would effect every person in the radius of effect; including fellow heroes. So everyone would be getting a bonus to their DCV, and that is not the effect I want. It really should be just against the character using the power.

I really prefer the Change Environment effect to invisibility or just a bonus to DCV.

So... suggestions on how to limit this?

Now... I've run into a bit of an issue with the Change Environment idea. It probably just needs an appropriate limitation, but I'm not sure how to word it.

Using Change Environment would effect every person in the radius of effect; including fellow heroes. So everyone would be getting a bonus to their DCV, and that is not the effect I want. It really should be just against the character using the power.

I really prefer the Change Environment effect to invisibility or just a bonus to DCV.

So... suggestions on how to limit this?

Well, it seems to me that combat levels (to enhance either your OCV or DCV by clouding men's minds), perhaps combat levels which cost END to simulate a mental strain from their use (and shave some points :) ) might be as good or better fitting than CE.

With the CE approach, I see a couple of possibilities here. First, I would say that having this effect only provide penalties if you are the attacker/defender has plusses (does not affect your allies) and minuses (does not help your allies). As such, I would suggest this balances out as a -0 modification to the power.

Another approach is to cloud men's minds on a broader scale (ie they will not only have difficulty perceiving me, but anyone they wish to combat). In this case, I would suggest the +1/2 advantage noted by LL below.

By the way, are you planning to limit the power to reduice its effect on stronger minds? Perhaps each increment of Ego (or combined Ego + Mental Defense) over 10 might reduce the penalty by 1, such that a strong enough mind would resist being clouded entirely. It may not affect some minds for other reasons (eg, security cameras, guard dogs, little green men and/or robots might still perceive him flawlessly). These come down to flavour, and their value as limitations would depend on the nature of the campaign, but they are items you could consider.

Since being able to target specific individuals within an area would normally be a beneficial element to add to a Power, this is better represented as an Advantage rather than a Limitation. ;)

I'd suggest purchasing "Selective Target" from the Area Of Effect Advantages. According to the description of Selective Target (5E p. 160/ 5ER p. 250), "Characters can buy Selective Target as a separate +1/2 Advantage for Powers which inherently affect an area, such as Change Environment, Darkness, or Images."

Silly me. If I just got back to my old habits of actually READING the rule book, I'd have know that was an advantage not a limitation.

I'm really starting to think that CE is not enough. And with all the advantages, and radius I would need: too expensive.

Also, I still have Lamont Cranston stuck in my head. And that is Invisibility, plain and and simple.

I've decided on two powers: Psionic Invisbility from the USPD, and combat skill levels that cost endurance each phase and the same sentient being limitations as Psionic Invisbility. That way, he can use the levels in combat without his friends having to turn to him afterwards and say: "where the hell did you go, dude?"

Maybe Mind Control with the set effect of "You Can't See Me". I know you're not really supposed to use powers to emulate other powers, but if you just want to be invisible to a few people it might work.

I was also thinking about Drain or Supress SPD w/ (AVLD: mental def). You confuse the guy to the point where he gets indicisive and takes longer to act on the good ideas he does come up with.

Silly me. If I just got back to my old habits of actually READING the rule book, I'd have know that was an advantage not a limitation.

I'm really starting to think that CE is not enough. And with all the advantages, and radius I would need: too expensive.

Also, I still have Lamont Cranston stuck in my head. And that is Invinsibility, plain and and simple.

I usually do this as: Invisibility, not vs those with Mental Defense (-1/2). You can also throw on Requires a Skill Roll:Concealment or RSR:Stealth, if he needs to hide himself but can then use his powers to remain undetected.